if you were forced to spend $900$ on gaming hardware

#11YukitoRamboPosted 8/24/2013 8:26:35 PM(edited)
Robtcee13 posted...
CyhortI82 posted...
Since I just spent $3000 on a high end gaming PC, I'd laugh at the $900 dollar one as it struggles to play games at medium settings on my way out the door to get my consoles.

My 700$ PC maxes most games. 3000$ is extreme future proofing.

And a waste of money.

If you make money with that PC(drawing, creating 3D projects, other industrial stuff that require the best computing power there is), 3 grand is nothing. If your only purposes are to play games and do everything else most commonfolk do on their PCs though, then it's 2 grand worth of wasteful spending.

Why?

PC technology moves fast. The industry is sorta struggling to stay true to Moore's Law, but it's stayed fast enough that those expensive top-of-the-top-of-the-line hardware of today will become mid-end by next year, IN ADDITION to having to compete with newer products that has the same performance for less cost and power consumption.

Rather than spending thousands of dollars on a rig with probably 3 SLI'd Titans that rips over 800 watts on full-load, I would just spend less than a grand for current mid-high-end stuff and save remaining money for when better tech emerges next year that might use only 200-300W for the same performance. Again, that's from the common gamer's perspective. If you depend on expensive tech to make a living, or you just have too much money kept in your bank account, well... That's up to you.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#12EcotronPosted 8/24/2013 8:27:00 PM
PC but only because I don't think exclusives are enough to warrant buying 2 consoles that are nearly identical. it would feel like a waste of the other half of the money.
#13pmadrugaPosted 8/24/2013 8:50:35 PM
Ecotron posted...
PC but only because I don't think exclusives are enough to warrant buying 2 consoles that are nearly identical. it would feel like a waste of the other half of the money.

I kinda disagree. Both consoles have pretty good exclusives. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Halo, etc. vs Killzone, GT, Infamous, etc.

I will most definitely have both at some point. I'll start with Xbox one because I like its launch window line-up better, but still want to buy a ps4 next year.
---
PSN: b0ss_bra | Origin: b0ss_br
Alienware M18X R2 | Core i7-3610QM | 12GB DDR3 1600MHz | Dual Radeon HD 7970M Crossfire | 750GB 7200RPM | Killer Wireless-N
#14Gold25onePosted 8/24/2013 8:54:12 PM
CyhortI82 posted...
Since I just spent $3000 on a high end gaming PC, I'd laugh at the $900 dollar one as it struggles to play games at medium settings on my way out the door to get my consoles.

I can get a PC that plays most games on high/very high for around $800 >_>
---
This isn't some Video Game, this is DARK SOULS. - Souldepriver
#15Orange_ApplesPosted 8/24/2013 9:38:27 PM
My PC cost me $1400, but I built it 2 years ago. If I were to get a new $900 to spend on hardware. I'd probably go PS4+XB1.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#16macmahon187Posted 8/24/2013 10:04:16 PM
tokenblackguy23 posted...
PC's are like wives they need to much damn attention. Consoles usually are like side chicks one and done.

Strange analogy. I prefer pc because after a few short years the consoles just lack in everything except maybe exclusives
---
Posted using GameFlux
#17macmahon187Posted 8/24/2013 10:07:41 PM
pmadruga posted...
Ecotron posted...

I kinda disagree. Both consoles have pretty good exclusives. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Halo, etc. vs Killzone, GT, Infamous, etc.

I will most definitely have both at some point. I'll start with Xbox one because I like its launch window line-up better, but still want to buy a ps4 next year.

Yeah I'll be playing to titanfall on my pc.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#18YukitoRamboPosted 8/24/2013 10:15:32 PM
macmahon187 posted...
tokenblackguy23 posted...
PC's are like wives they need to much damn attention. Consoles usually are like side chicks one and done.

Strange analogy. I prefer pc because after a few short years the consoles just lack in everything except maybe exclusives

They are also not as unpredictable and demanding as women. Three relationships taught me that much.

Hell, if PCs come in androids complete with sexual organs and all that jazz like in that anime Chobits, I'd ditch women completely. lol
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#19CrystalKing5426Posted 8/24/2013 10:37:44 PM
The amount of votes for the first option baffles me. The Xbone (and PS4 to a lesser extent) are mostly just less powerful PCs, and owning both is almost entirely redundant. The main market for them is for people who can't afford a PC, and this theoretical poll is eliminating that problem.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Dark Samus for SSB4
#20DarthFloatyPosted 8/24/2013 10:58:35 PM
I already have a pretty decent PC, so getting the other 2 next gen consoles would be sweet. I'd just need a Vita and I'd have ever current gaming system!