Poll: Should Microsoft have reversed their early policies with the Xbox One?

#31JeffandhisbanjoPosted 8/24/2013 8:49:30 PM
I voted NO.
#32YukitoRamboPosted 8/24/2013 9:29:32 PM
Dave_is_my_name posted...

Unfortunately, people have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.

The future isn't yet here. It's probably already in Japan, South Korea, or any American state with Google Fiber, but not yet for the rest of the world.

Microsoft has options, but most people don't. If they want to sell us a product, THEY should be the one to accomodate and give options to us. MS realized that themselves(although too late) when they finally backpedalled.

Don't blame consumers for not having control over their infrastructures. Quit defending the DRM over silly features like 'family sharing' because all they're doing is akin to taking a whole cake away from us and give back 1/12th piece of it.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#33YukitoRamboPosted 8/24/2013 9:29:59 PM
Jeffandhisbanjo posted...
I voted NO.

Yeah, some surprise that was.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#34AsellusPosted 8/24/2013 9:46:10 PM
I dunno, made sense to the stop the hemorrhaging at that point and I think it'd gotten so toxic at that point the only thing they really could do was go back to square zero.

It was definitely a missed opportunity though and I think somewhat better considered policies (ie, allow the console to work in online mode as long as it has the game disc present) and a pitch that did a much better job of selling people on the benefits of the system (Say cheaper games) could've worked.
#35Hucast9Posted 8/24/2013 10:10:10 PM
I can tell you right now that I had absolutely no plan to buy the Xbox One with the DRM restrictions such as:

- You can not sell a game from individual to individual
- You can not simply give someone a disc to let them play the game without hassle
- Games can be given away only once
- Games lose all value once they're installed and authenticated

I would've bought the PS4 at launch instead of the Xbox One if they kept those restrictions. Now I am going to buy the Xbox One since they reversed that. I couldn't care less about your precious family plan. That family plan is for freeloaders who want others to play a game without having purchased it. The only person who should be allowed to play is whoever is in possession of the disc. I hope that family plan burns in hell.
#36IzecPosted 8/24/2013 10:36:47 PM(edited)
As bad as the original Xbox One was, at least it was unique. If the player had a fast and stable internet connection and didn't care about trading physical games I can imagine them having fun with the digital revolution.

Now the Xbox One is just a lamer version of the PS4. There are no unique perks to it like the family plan/etc. any more, just drawbacks.
---
No Text
#37MassimilienoPosted 8/24/2013 10:55:38 PM
The Virtual Boy was also unique. Still didn't change the fact it was a terrible concept just like the policies behind the Xbox One were a terrible concept.

Defending bad ideas with the strawman of "it's unique!" is blind consumerism and fanboyism at it's finest.

By that logic, they should just recall all the XB1 consoles and instead just ship out boxes with a turd inside. That's "doing something different". And if something is "different", then it can't possibly be bad now can it? >__________>
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#38aj4x94Posted 8/24/2013 11:01:53 PM
Lightningale posted...
If you can't afford internet access in this day and age you have more serious concerns than buying a video game system. Why is this even an issue?

So you're saying I'm poor? Just because I'm not as well off as you doesn't mean you can hold yourself above me.

Hey! Everyone! The TC discriminates against the poor!
---
Playing: The Last of Us, System Shock 2, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Siren Blood Curse, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Blacklist
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#39lightningbugxPosted 8/25/2013 3:29:05 AM
If it wasn't for the leaks on these policies, Sony would have been doing the same thing.
#40SirLemontPosted 8/25/2013 4:00:40 AM
Apparently, the lessons learned from Assassin's Creed 2, SimCity and Diablo 3 are lost on the TC.