A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

#1ItIsOkBroPosted 8/24/2013 7:44:39 PM
Killer Instinct has me thinking...

Let's say a fighting game with 24 characters takes 3 years to develop, with all the bells and whistles.

Devs can take 3 years to make the game, then release it in full for $60. After 2 years, fighting games tend to lose some steam.

OR...

Devs can release what they have done in just 1 year, let's say 8 characters, comparatively for $20. Then the next year they add 8 for $20, and the next year they add 8 for $20 (either staggered or all 8 together, lets go all 8). Also, they add, you know...bells and whistles.

In the end, what you have is the exact same fighting game after 3 years for the exact same price, except you got to play it in parts 2 years earlier. Also, the fighting game has techically already lasted 2 years already and at this point there are 8 completely new characters to try.

My question is which sounds better? The first option is clear but here are some things to consider for option 2...
Is 8 characters really enough to start with? (I think KI is off to a rocky start with 6 and 2 later)
How many people will continue playing until or come back for the next batch of characters?

And as a side, the second option being a good deal is extremely contingent on the game being comparable to a full fighter once the cost adds up to $60. For instance, if they charge $30 for the additional 8 character packs then they've basically overcharged you $20 (once you reach 24 characters it costs you $80). I think, because of this, option 2 will never be valuable to the consumer. DLC tends to be quite expensive compared to what you get in full at retail. I doubt that Killer Instinct will be comparable to say, Mortal Kombat 9, once you spend $60. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Discuss.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#2INEEDHELPWEE2Posted 8/24/2013 7:52:29 PM
Honestly I like the business model they are attempting to do, but at the same time I am a bit dissapointed it is not a full game.
#3chiefofsb78Posted 8/24/2013 7:54:25 PM
A good way to kill a game is to release it early a game that is not finished won't last players will lose interest fast and by the time you release more content in this case a year later who cares there will be many other full release games and that are actually good out there to play nobody wants to wait months or a year later just to get the full experience of a fighting game this game is a automatic fail
---
killerinstinctonline
#4sworderPosted 8/24/2013 7:57:16 PM
No.

Release the full game and then add DLC. Full games with extra content > incomplete games
#5ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 8:04:12 PM
sworder posted...
No.

Release the full game and then add DLC. Full games with extra content > incomplete games

The ideal case is that the incomplete game transforms into a full game by the time the full game would have released.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#6ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 8:09:22 PM
INEEDHELPWEE2 posted...
Honestly I like the business model they are attempting to do, but at the same time I am a bit dissapointed it is not a full game.

I agree although I wouldn't say I like the model. Even though it does come earlier and is reasonably priced, I think it makes Killer Instinct seem like a splash instead of tidal wave in an ocean. This is not the grand comback I wanted for KI.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#7METALINGUS5150Posted 8/24/2013 8:10:08 PM
I don't think it's good. Because another game can come out that is complete and has DLC and extra stuff and it can be better and outshine it.
#8lilj812Posted 8/24/2013 8:13:14 PM
The game will get out shined by a real and complete fighter and will then be forgotten. The game is doomed.
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#9darkphiresagePosted 8/24/2013 8:36:55 PM
ya, that's all fine and well tc, until the next street fighter or MvC drops with 30-60 characters. they shouldn't release the game until the full roster is complete. people will only be willing to fight jago and 5 other mooks so many times before they say f*** it.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#10avidgamer4Posted 8/24/2013 8:37:16 PM
Games have a limited number of MONTHS to release new content before it gets old and boring and price drops price drops price drops.