A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

#11DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/24/2013 9:15:18 PM
I really like this model. I think balancing with 8 characters to start is a good idea and having it released will give you tons of data on balance issues compared to having to release a game with 24 characters and hope they are already balanced.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#12ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 9:35:52 PM
darkphiresage posted...
ya, that's all fine and well tc, until the next street fighter or MvC drops with 30-60 characters. they shouldn't release the game until the full roster is complete. people will only be willing to fight jago and 5 other mooks so many times before they say f*** it.

And when you get tired of the next fighting game, if you go back to KI it will have 8, possibly 16 new characters.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#136speednissanPosted 8/24/2013 9:38:45 PM
90% of gamers don't know the game is rushed or follow message boards. The game will sell like crazy anyway.
#14ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 9:42:37 PM
6speednissan posted...
90% of gamers don't know the game is rushed or follow message boards. The game will sell like crazy anyway.

It's not rushed, it's incomplete.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#156speednissanPosted 8/24/2013 9:45:40 PM
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...

It's also f2p.
#16ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 6:58:42 AM
6speednissan posted...
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...

It's also f2p.

Okay what's your point?
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#176speednissanPosted 8/25/2013 7:06:05 AM
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...

It's also f2p.

Okay what's your point?

I don't understand what people don't get. This is a f2p Arcade game that costs $20 for all the features. It's not a $60 retail game.
#18ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 8:28:54 AM
6speednissan posted...
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...
ItIsOkBro posted...
6speednissan posted...

It's also f2p.

Okay what's your point?

I don't understand what people don't get. This is a f2p Arcade game that costs $20 for all the features. It's not a $60 retail game.

People were expecting a $60 retail game maybe.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#19Hvv0l24n9Posted 8/25/2013 9:35:25 AM
I think most games always end up with only 5 or so characters being used online anyway, so the argument that fighting the same characters online will get boring is moot, Imo. This way they can focus on balancing the first 8 with actual feedback from the gaming population as opposed to a few testers. Then they can focus on the next 8, and so on. I do think it'd be harder to do once they start adding more characters, because there's no guarantee most gamers will use the newer characters as much, but it surely extends the life of the fighter. Much like SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4.

Yeah, they're starting with less characters, but they're practically building this game from the ground up. Everything. They didn't have years to plan like Capcom, they didn't already have a well established formula to work with like Capcom. None of that. I think they've done a fine job for the amount of time they supposedly had. I DO think they should at least wait until all 8 characters and story mode are ready, but hey.

They want that launch hype.
---
PSN: Iquan_5 XBL: VASH Iquan
Hey...would you say I became a hero?
#20SirLemontPosted 8/25/2013 9:57:09 AM
I understand what the TC is saying, but the problem with the new KI is the initial offering is too paltry. Were it at least 10 characters with continuing support, then the game can go somewhere. But 6? With the full game costing up to $40 and a max of 8 characters? I can only see a painful death for a beloved franchise thats being monetized by Microsoft.