A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

#31ItIsOkBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 10:41:00 AM
lilj812 posted...
INEEDHELPWEE2 posted...
This kind of reminds me of those EPISODIC release titles, like Back to the future and Walking Dead.

However, I do not feel it will transfer well into a fighting game.

Episodic release... well, we're paying 60 dollars at the end, right? Why not have the option to buy the whole thing at the beginning?

The whole thing doesn't exist in the beginning.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#32INEEDHELPWEE2Posted 8/25/2013 10:43:12 AM
lilj812 posted...
INEEDHELPWEE2 posted...
lilj812 posted...
INEEDHELPWEE2 posted...
This kind of reminds me of those EPISODIC release titles, like Back to the future and Walking Dead.

However, I do not feel it will transfer well into a fighting game.

Episodic release... well, we're paying 60 dollars at the end, right? Why not have the option to buy the whole thing at the beginning? Getting all the characters at the same time like a regular 60 dollar game. And continue the episodic release, bringing out new characters and giving more incentive to free to play players to buy more characters.

No, instead we're expected to pay a third of the money for a third of the game and wait to pay another third for another third of the game, etc etc

Not sure you understood my comparison. Episodic games you either pay for everything or you pay by episode. Regardless if this game has a pay for all of it now option, the way they are doing it is similar. You pay for part one now and when it releases if you choose to you pay for part 2. I am not arguing that the game is more than likely unfinished, I am just saying this is a comparison to what they are trying to do. At least with this business model if you end up not being interested in the second half, you paid a little less.

....... That sounds like a money grab.

And if season 2 sells really bad, wouldn't it be reasonable to say that they may not ever release a season 3 completing the game?

At the moment there is only a Season 2 announced. In which will most likely be the full game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/gamescom-killer-instinct-season-2-in-2014-launch-explained

Also, I cannot agree with the Money grab comment. You get JAGO Free, therefore if you do not like the games style or how it plays after playing with Jago for a while, you are not going to spend money on it. Especially considering you are only getting more of the same.
#33DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/25/2013 8:26:33 PM
SirLemont posted...
I understand what the TC is saying, but the problem with the new KI is the initial offering is too paltry. Were it at least 10 characters with continuing support, then the game can go somewhere. But 6? With the full game costing up to $40 and a max of 8 characters? I can only see a painful death for a beloved franchise thats being monetized by Microsoft.

Not too bright are you? Sony is releasing with far more F2P games this generation and the model isn't even close to MS's creation. Got I hate noobs who pretend just because they are now coming into contact with something that its never been done before.

Also $20 for 8 characters isn't even close to expensive. SFIV launched with 25 characters for $60...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#34Semi45aPosted 8/25/2013 8:51:59 PM
stop it this post is making me angry
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#35Frost_LASERPosted 8/25/2013 9:00:36 PM
ItIsOkBro posted...
sworder posted...
No.

Release the full game and then add DLC. Full games with extra content > incomplete games

The ideal case is that the incomplete game transforms into a full game by the time the full game would have released.

Problem is that people lose interest in the game before all the DLC is released and dont buy it all. This is the reason the season passes were created.