Concerned about the Xbone's price tag

#1SpiffymarlinPosted 8/25/2013 8:47:23 AM
Didn't Microsoft learn from Sony's launch price for the PS3? Consumers don't generally want a console that is above $400 - look at the examples from the PS3 (sales suffered compared to the 360 and the Wii until a price drop was announced), the Turbografix 16, the Wonderswan...all of the consoles that released above that line suffered greatly until the prices dropped. Combine that with the negative goodwill from the industry, media, and consumers and I'm worried about the Xbone's potential for success in the first year vs the PS4.
---
We can't stop here! This is bat country!
#2coltsfan4ever31Posted 8/25/2013 8:53:00 AM
If sales are sub par to bad I expect a price drop sometime mid next year. $500 is a lot of cash but I understand why it's so expensive. Adding in Kinect guaranteed that the console would be expensive. I'm not defending Kinext by the way just stating the obvious. MS invested a ton of cash in that camera and they want to maximize their investment as much as possible. That's why I believe they will never release a Kinect less bundle. It would just be flushing more money down the drain to do that.
---
---PSN:coltslover31
#3ItIsOkBroPosted 8/25/2013 8:55:34 AM
PS3 was $600 and literally had no games.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#4TheKing012Posted 8/25/2013 8:55:50 AM
don't worry.

Halo 3 will destroy Sony.
#5Spiffymarlin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 8:58:46 AM
ItIsOkBro posted...

There were a few good launch games for it, but Sony dropped the price ridiculously fast and sales picked up, even before the exclusives came out for the PS3.
---
#6Spiffymarlin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 9:02:20 AM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
If sales are sub par to bad I expect a price drop sometime mid next year. $500 is a lot of cash but I understand why it's so expensive. Adding in Kinect guaranteed that the console would be expensive. I'm not defending Kinext by the way just stating the obvious. MS invested a ton of cash in that camera and they want to maximize their investment as much as possible. That's why I believe they will never release a Kinect less bundle. It would just be flushing more money down the drain to do that.

I understand the point that MS doesn't want to waste the development money on the Kinect, but what about the people who have never had any interest in motion gaming? The gimmick was fun on the Wii for a little bit but I got rid of it because there weren't any good games that utilized the technology except for MAYBE Red Steel 2 and even that was a disappointment. I don't have any interest in the Kinect at all, and that's not likely to change unless a developer comes up with a completely unique way to use the tech. I'd use one if there was maybe an XBLA poker game that allowed you to make a virtual table with your friends using the camera to do motion capture to add them in. That would be pretty fun, but that's not to say I'm not incredibly excited about the POTENTIAL for the tech. From what I've read, the next Kinect's camera is very, very advanced and has a lot that it could potentially offer the industry if utilized properly.
---
#7lilj812Posted 8/25/2013 9:13:09 AM
A large portion of gamers don't want the Kinect and won't spend the extra money on a weaker system just to have access to the kinect.
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#8FusionCPosted 8/25/2013 9:14:54 AM
Spiffymarlin posted...
ItIsOkBro posted...

There were a few good launch games for it, but Sony dropped the price ridiculously fast and sales picked up, even before the exclusives came out for the PS3.

console launched in November, 1st price drop wasn't until July. I wouldnt call that ridiculously fast. Then in August they launched the 80gig model that was STILL $599.
---
For the Horde!!!!
#9TwistedxL3G3NDPosted 8/25/2013 9:15:27 AM
Spiffymarlin posted...
coltsfan4ever31 posted...

I understand the point that MS doesn't want to waste the development money on the Kinect, but what about the people who have never had any interest in motion gaming? The gimmick was fun on the Wii for a little bit but I got rid of it because there weren't any good games that utilized the technology except for MAYBE Red Steel 2 and even that was a disappointment. I don't have any interest in the Kinect at all, and that's not likely to change unless a developer comes up with a completely unique way to use the tech. I'd use one if there was maybe an XBLA poker game that allowed you to make a virtual table with your friends using the camera to do motion capture to add them in. That would be pretty fun, but that's not to say I'm not incredibly excited about the POTENTIAL for the tech. From what I've read, the next Kinect's camera is very, very advanced and has a lot that it could potentially offer the industry if utilized properly.

Try looking into how project spark uses the kinect, when making your own game in project spark you can use the kinect for motion capture and to record voices for your character and some other stuff.
I'd say that's pretty cool and could lead a lot of interesting player created content.
---
Hey guise look at my PC specs I'm sure you all care!
#10PsychoGatesPosted 8/25/2013 9:19:53 AM
The thing is PS3 still sold, was it ground breaking sales? No, but it did still sell.

So the price really shouldn't be a problem because people will buy it, which is already evident from preorder numbers.