The return of good ol' platformers...

#1teeebzPosted 8/26/2013 1:04:47 PM
I miss them. Mario 64, Banjo, Kameo, Jak (the original before they added weapons, vehicles, darker feel, etc.) and others. These are some of my favorite games of all time, yet sadly they are few and far between. Not EVERYTHING today game wise needs a gun...I miss my fun platformers.

On a side note, can anyone recommend any games similar to the ones I stated above? For any system, doesn't matter.
---
GT- MR WhiteEe
#2bessy67Posted 8/26/2013 1:07:34 PM
Make them with Project Spark! (video is long)

http://www.twitch.tv/project_spark/c/2791993

My favorite platformers this generation were Super Meat Boy and 'Splosion Man, but those were 2D so they're really not much like the ones you mentioned.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3Companion_Cube_Posted 8/26/2013 1:07:36 PM
I need more Crash Bandicoot. Too bad the series effectively ended at CTR...

And Spyro. Someone please pull him out of the abomination that is Skylanders?

Mega Man needs to be bought by Nintendo. I want them to get Banjo too, since MS isn't doing anything with it other than making Lego Cars...

*Sigh* I really get sappy when I listen to this (below) and anything remotely nostalgic comes up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0cUcGpjrss

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go buy Luigi U and in a few weeks, Rayman Legends (which I should have had in February...)
---
People who say Nintendo games are for kids need to grow up themselves.
Past/Current Systems: GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSOne, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
#4BkzIzuPosted 8/26/2013 1:09:50 PM
WiiU - NSMBU, Donkey Kong Country, Rayman*, 3D Mario Land
PS3 - LBP, Puppeteer, Jak and Dacter Collection, Rayman*
PS4 - Knack
#5NCPwnPosted 8/26/2013 1:09:54 PM
Best platformers were on Nintendo consoles in my opinion. I expect there will be some gems in the Wii-U.

But There are a lot of genres I'd like to see make a comback.

-Flight Sim
-Platformers
-RPG (like Rainbowmoon)
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#6teeebz(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 1:34:49 PM
Yea project spark will definitely help with platformers as well as knack. I just want that old school happy Saturday morning feel.

I wish there were some games on the ps3 or 360 that I missed...
---
GT- MR WhiteEe
#7CyhortI82Posted 8/26/2013 2:09:54 PM
I don't. Platformers are not my thing at all. I prefer WRPG's or heavily story based third person games. But if platformers are your thing then you should look into Project Spark. I'm sure there will be a lot of platforming games made with it.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I love DLC :) Story>gameplay>>>graphics.
#8ItIsOkBroPosted 8/26/2013 2:13:17 PM
BkzIzu posted...
PS4 - Knack

Knack is a linear lifeless joke.

Games like Banjo have huge open levels.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#9kakarot-uchihaPosted 8/26/2013 11:15:44 PM
im playing monster world 4, its okay, dnt know if it was worth the money yet, its got character. i actually liked james pond. megaman 9 is stupid hard but satisfying, 10's ok. theres a really original one called sideway, it really is an original take on the 2d platformer. i LOVED harmony of despair, still pick it up for a couple of levels. i dont want to list another playstation but i guess the only other kind of platformer with world map stuff is ratchet and clank, a couple are less platformy, a couple are very platformy, theyre all fun. check sideway out. i guess there aren't that many. well with this gen ithink more than ever, if theres a gap someones already working on one, im sure there will be some soon.
#10supermoc10Posted 8/27/2013 3:03:07 AM
ItIsOkBro posted...
BkzIzu posted...
PS4 - Knack

Knack is a linear lifeless joke.

Games like Banjo have huge open levels.

It's linear and it isn't even a platformer (more of a 3D brawler). However, it's far from lifeless. I thought so as well until I saw the Gamescom demo, which redeemed the game for me.
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"