Why did Microsoft let Bungie go?

#1BkzIzuPosted 8/26/2013 4:04:20 PM
Wasn't Bungie a first party developer? Why did they sell Bungie when it was their best first party developer....
#2TrickyPonyPosted 8/26/2013 4:11:38 PM
I heard Bungie wanted to make other games, plus no one played Halo because it was made by Bungie, they played it because it was Halo, and MS held onto the Halo series.
#3BkzIzu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 4:17:23 PM
TrickyPony posted...
I heard Bungie wanted to make other games, plus no one played Halo because it was made by Bungie, they played it because it was Halo, and MS held onto the Halo series.

Well why didn't Microsoft just form/give Halo to 343 and let Bungie make Destiny as a first party IP.
Letting Bungie and Destiny go was a huge mistake.
#4LovecraftiangodPosted 8/26/2013 4:19:50 PM
Bungie wanted to go multiplatform Microsoft couldn't stop them.
---
PSN kolobos212 The time has come when the normal revolt against time,space, and matter H.P. Lovecraft
#5CyhortI82Posted 8/26/2013 4:20:05 PM
I think their exclusive contract was up and Bungie didn't want to sign a new one.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I love DLC :) Story>gameplay>>>graphics.
#6Satchmo25Posted 8/26/2013 4:20:35 PM
I really don't know, they never let Destiny go, it's multiplat
---
GameFAQS... a forum where the mods fall asleep for days at a time and when they do their job, they do it badly.
#7iParadigmPosted 8/26/2013 4:21:17 PM
You have it backwards. Bungie left Microsoft.

Also, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+did+Bungie+leave+Microsoft%3F
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#8iceltPosted 8/26/2013 4:21:37 PM
CyhortI82 posted...
I think their exclusive contract was up and Bungie didn't want to sign a new one.

This makes the most sense.
---
PSN: icelt
"Beaker on a Hot Tin Roof" http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m506y4kNRX1rxuzpho1_500.gif
#9georgewduff1Posted 8/26/2013 4:27:44 PM
On October 5, 2007, Bungie announced that it had split from Microsoft and became a privately held independent company, Bungie LLC. The company later incorporated and signed a ten-year publishing deal with Activision Blizzard and is currently working on multiple projects with Activision, starting with a new IP under the name Destiny.

Bungie continued making Halo games until Halo: Reach in 2010.

The Halo franchise was officially passed down to 343 Industries on March 31, 2012.

Halo (working title) Xbox One Due for release in 2014. The game is will have a new engine to allow it to run at 60 frames per second and will have dedicated servers for multiplayer.

Bungie wanted to go...343 have officialy made Halo 4...wich was great...in my opinion...
---
XboxOne and my gaming addiction are perfect match :)
#10Takamine86Posted 8/26/2013 4:28:52 PM
TrickyPony posted...

I wouldn't want Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us 2 made by anyone other than Naughty Dog, I'm sure most Halo fans would prefer the original creators as well.