Should launch games really factor in which console to buy?

#1ImThe8thWonderPosted 8/26/2013 5:57:55 PM
Both consoles will get tons of games over time. Seems silly to ignore console qualities because of a starting library. Even more so since neither has a particularly poor launch library, mainly due to multiplats, of course. I'd make my bets on console qualities that aren't as subjective or that will remain important beyond a year into each console's life.

And no, not "butthurt" over one console having a stronger launch library than the other. Mainly because I'm getting both and I barely have preference over both game selections anyways.
#2sworderPosted 8/26/2013 6:04:41 PM
Let me lay out some facts because that's what I do best yo

If you're gonna buy both consoles, then launch library absolutely matters since that's what you'll be playing right away

If you're gonna buy only one console, then it doesn't matter at all. You have to look at what you want to play in the next half a decade and not just the first 3 months

Boom

/drops mic
#3WartPig_Posted 8/26/2013 6:06:32 PM
an actuall gamer wouldnt buy based on launch games. but alot of kids have the "now now me me" mentality and cant look beyond the few games that will last a month tops. totally ignoring the fact a console purchase is for years down the road.
---
PSN-WartPigX, XBL-WartPig
"people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening"
#4Orange_ApplesPosted 8/26/2013 6:06:54 PM
nope. I'd say that the XB1 and PS4 aren't even worth buying for the major public since most of the games people want are built for 360 and PS3.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#5Dev445Posted 8/26/2013 6:12:06 PM
Yes launch games matter. XBO came out strong with their launch catalog. Can't say the same for PS4.

I dying for a new console right now so I gotta have it now. Its been like 8 years since 360 came out. Why wait any longer when I can get it now.
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#6HeracylostPosted 8/26/2013 6:13:50 PM
No it shouldn't. Unless your a child that just has to have the bestest new gaming thing so you can brag to your school mates.
I'll usually wait a year or so. By then the library will be large enough to make an educated decision.
Nether are backwards comparable so that negates the rush to get the new while still playing the old. The U gets a pass however.
#7zerooo0Posted 8/26/2013 6:15:00 PM
Yes if you're getting it at release

No if you're not getting it at release.

/endtopic
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#8BudWisenheimerPosted 8/26/2013 6:15:09 PM
sworder posted...
Let me lay out some facts because that's what I do best yo

If you're gonna buy both consoles, then launch library absolutely matters since that's what you'll be playing right away

If you're gonna buy only one console, then it doesn't matter at all. You have to look at what you want to play in the next half a decade and not just the first 3 months

Boom

/drops mic

Yup. I can agree with that for the most part. Although there is some room in between for people who know there are more multi-player games they want on one console ... and more single-player games they want on another. So they might look at multi-player launch games with a fleeting thought that one day maybe they'll catch up on the other console years later after numerous price-drops. Or maybe not.
#9TheMeanRockPosted 8/26/2013 6:15:43 PM
Not particularly. Most of the game are on both consoles, and a large number of them are on the current consoles. If you are graphics ***** and you must play a certain exclusive... sure thing. But if you're abit less shallow you should choose the console that;

A: is the better machine.
B: you believe will have better games.

Lucky for me thats the same console.
---
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8199250304_01370f5a4e_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8207044795_85d12224dd_z.jpg
#10Excal1burPosted 8/26/2013 7:17:04 PM
WartPig_ posted...
an actuall gamer wouldnt buy based on launch games. but alot of kids have the "now now me me" mentality and cant look beyond the few games that will last a month tops. totally ignoring the fact a console purchase is for years down the road.

An actual gamer wouldn't limit himself on a single console.