Dev: Killer Instinct is NOT Free-2-play

#11TheDon1981Posted 8/27/2013 6:12:08 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Jago vs Jago....FIGHT!

x 1 billion

LOL! This actually made me laugh.

KI will probably be great... eventually.
---
LBP2 levels:
Paper Scissors Rock Championship - Mortal Kombat 9 - Ultimate Deathmatch
#12cito48Posted 8/27/2013 6:12:54 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Oh wait, I get it now. F2P gives you option of grinding for currency to unlock stuff or just buying it with real money, whereas this game only has the "buy with real money" option.

Exactly. Thats why its much better because those games are called Pay to Win. Basically, you can grind for months to get what people are able to purchase at any given time. This is why D3 failed so hard because of the real money auction house which they've now closed. Though it wasn't free, paying to win just ruins games.

Ive played League of Legends which is a F2P game and i havent felt that other people had the advantage from buying with real money since you dont get an advantage from using money in anything.

heck you can watch Diamond players make 2nd accounts and make it back up to the top with a small character pool from just playing.

im sure you can make an example but you didnt give one. You named a game that isnt even F2P.
#13Exodus_PrimePosted 8/27/2013 6:15:17 AM
ExampliaGratia posted...
embrandedone posted...
It's a glorified Demo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-27-microsoft-killer-instinct-the-worlds-most-generous-demo

Straight from the horses mouth. The future of gaming as dictated by MS is revealed. Nothing is earned, pay to win for the...err..win!

"I just want to get as many people playing as I can," Lobb explained. "Some people are like, 'oh, free-to-play.' No. It's not free-to-play.

"What is free-to-play? It's a thing you really can't ever own at all. Day one, if you want to buy our game, buy it. You own it. There's no grind for little coins that unlock things later. None of that."

Lobb, who worked with Rare on Killer Instinct 1 and 2, continued: "The free part is, day one, you can download Jago for free and you get the whole game with Jago. The story mode comes later, but you get his full tutorial, full practice mode and you can go online and play against everybody. So you have the full game with just Jago.

"Then if you decide you like Thunder for example, you can buy Thunder for five bucks or equivalent. Maybe that's all you want, so why should you have to pay forty bucks? Just pay five and then you have Thunder.

"If you buy the $40 pack, there are a couple of other little things you'll be able to buy, but you're done. It's not like there's some buy coins to unlock thing. That's why I've always said this is not a free-to-play game."

Guess someone didn't read the article.

Owned x11
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#14DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/27/2013 6:21:13 AM
cito48 posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Oh wait, I get it now. F2P gives you option of grinding for currency to unlock stuff or just buying it with real money, whereas this game only has the "buy with real money" option.

Exactly. Thats why its much better because those games are called Pay to Win. Basically, you can grind for months to get what people are able to purchase at any given time. This is why D3 failed so hard because of the real money auction house which they've now closed. Though it wasn't free, paying to win just ruins games.

Ive played League of Legends which is a F2P game and i havent felt that other people had the advantage from buying with real money since you dont get an advantage from using money in anything.

heck you can watch Diamond players make 2nd accounts and make it back up to the top with a small character pool from just playing.

im sure you can make an example but you didnt give one. You named a game that isnt even F2P.

You mean because 1 game in a sea of 1000's of greedy pay to win games makes it the rule?
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#15cito48Posted 8/27/2013 6:34:11 AM
cito48 posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

You mean because 1 game in a sea of 1000's of greedy pay to win games makes it the rule?

Dota2 doesnt either 2 of the biggest MObas that have the model. my 2 i named was 2 more than you have. Like i said im sure there are but you didnt name any
#16DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/27/2013 6:40:38 AM
I'm sorry if you only play MOBAs. You want a list? Search google for F2P games... Even my friend owns a skateboard F2P/P2W game and that pulls in 2-3 million euros with the crappiest gameplay I've ever seen. There is a literal sea of this crap and it certainly just doesn't work for all genre.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#17RybalPosted 8/27/2013 10:24:03 AM
ExampliaGratia posted...
Lobb, who worked with Rare on Killer Instinct 1 and 2, continued: "The free part is, day one, you can download Jago for free and you get the whole game with Jago. The story mode comes later, but you get his full tutorial, full practice mode and you can go online and play against everybody. So you have the full game with just Jago.

Shouldn't story mode be included as well? If not, I'm not sure how he can consider that the "full" game.

In all honesty, it will be interesting to see how this plays out and whether this is going to start a trend in this direction.
#18INEEDHELPWEE2Posted 8/27/2013 10:29:07 AM
Was this not just posted a few seconds ago? Anyway, 8 characters for 20 bucks, is actually a decent deal. You get to play the mechanics of the game and you get to fight against your friends online. Then if you like it enough, you can purchase the full game when they release it. So in reality, it is a demo.

So those saying it is unfinished are correct, but why put down Microsoft for admitting this?
#19INEEDHELPWEE2Posted 8/27/2013 10:30:40 AM
Rybal posted...
ExampliaGratia posted...

Shouldn't story mode be included as well? If not, I'm not sure how he can consider that the "full" game.

In all honesty, it will be interesting to see how this plays out and whether this is going to start a trend in this direction.

It technically is not the full game. There is a season 2 which is going to bring in the rest of the stuff that is missing. There is an article on this, I am just to lazy to find it.
#20MuryoPosted 8/27/2013 10:32:43 AM
HypnoCoosh posted...
Ha I feel so old it's not even funny and I'm only 33... I remember when you bought completed games, you know like the whole game. You could play the game alone or with a friend, or loan the game to a friend, or even sell the game too.. Ya weird concept huh.

So many more awesome options now though!!! Thank you MS!

---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken