Microsoft reportedly slashes initial launch units.

#71BudWisenheimerPosted 8/27/2013 2:03:43 PM
Ramsus082 posted...

I just think that there's a big missing piece of info here if this ridiculous 7 million units number is/was true.

We're talking about the company that just took a billion dollar write-off for miscalculating demand for their hardware, which ousted their CEO. This isn't out of character for them.

Nah. I'm sure you see several differences between that and what we're talking about. And it's even less credible BECAUSE of that. There has been chatter of a clear company mandate to make profit and spend less on Xbone for quite a while now. Way before all the mess they're in now (back when people still called it the 720).
#72Ramsus082Posted 8/27/2013 2:13:24 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

If I understand you .... you're suggesting that 7 million initial units was their plan even before they started seeing early demand and pre-order numbers? And that they were willing to bank/spend $3.5B on that plan?

That's what I'm implying, yes. They predicted demand based on their market position. As I said, this isn't out of character for them. They just lost their CEO(who sheparded the Xbox brand) and ate a billion dollar sandwich over the exact same thing. We have an example of them over-producing and reaping the consequences of it.

Nobody could have predicted this shift in consumer enthusiasm so quickly. I'm not saying this is permanent obviously, but it's really incredible to think about it.

I still see no confirmed indications that the Xbone was rushed.

And we never will see anything confirmed about it. Companies don't admit that sort of thing. I mentioned to another poster that the implications of this console being rushed are Circumstantial, not concrete. We can take it into context with each example implying that it may or not be, but obviously different people are coming to different conclusions.
Especially not when we've heard specific hardware details from certain 'insiders' posting details as many as three years ago that turned out to be consistently true.

I don't know who's a credible insider and who's not these days, I just know what I see. I see a lot of things indicating to me that Microsoft has consistently been reactive to Sony, and that trying to beat them to market has consequences all over. Circumstantial, obviously.
#73Ramsus082Posted 8/27/2013 2:19:34 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

Nah. I'm sure you see several differences between that and what we're talking about.

You give me too much credit, then. I see that they created an oversupply based on their estimation of where they thought demand would be, not that I don't see any differences in the comparison. I was responding to your point Microsoft would be silly to make such a big error in misjudging the supply/demand of their hardware.

And it's even less credible BECAUSE of that. There has been chatter of a clear company mandate to make profit and spend less on Xbone for quite a while now. Way before all the mess they're in now (back when people still called it the 720).

I don't subscribe to the "They made a mistake, so they get the benefit of the doubt that they won't repeat it" line of thought. Obviously there's very intelligent people who make decisions as a group at Microsoft. But they make critical errors in judgement, and they still do, was my larger point.
#74Ramsus082Posted 8/27/2013 2:22:09 PM
I just noticed I said "the exact same thing" in the post before the last in comparison to the Surface RT situation. I want to correct myself, it's not the exact same thing.
#75blacklabelicePosted 8/27/2013 2:33:08 PM(edited)
Reflex-Arc posted...
I love words like "slash". They make a relatively insignificant number (in comparison to the overall total) seem so much more scary.

yeah no doubt

400 million dollars microsoft loses out on (or potentially could have earned) right out of the gate is pretty insignificant

thats just pocket change to most people nowadays. who doesnt have an extra 400 mil kicking around in their wallets? i could put that off until later anyways.

it doesnt really affect me any. im holding out for a while for all the kinks to be worked out and a nice library of games to be available before i ever go looking for one. im sure there will be plenty in stores by that time.

besides, ive had two 360's fail on me within the first year. im not making that same mistake again.
#76BudWisenheimerPosted 8/27/2013 2:33:31 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
I don't know who's a credible insider and who's not these days, I just know what I see. I see a lot of things indicating to me that Microsoft has consistently been reactive to Sony, and that trying to beat them to market has consequences all over. Circumstantial, obviously.

Neither do I. And I know better than to trust anyone on a message board. I wasn't necessarily referring to GameFAQs but I do remember a couple people I rarely see anymore because of NDA (supposedly). Although on the Xbone I first heard about the likelihood of embedded RAM again in addition to 12GB memory (allotted for devkits I guess) and the x86 architecture on one of the boards here almost 2 years ago. And the same person 'confirmed' Blu-ray back in 2010 around the time Alan Wake was released. All of it seemed like wild-guesses at the time. Who knows. But those were pretty good guesses.
#77scoobydoobydontPosted 8/27/2013 2:36:42 PM
Slashed to 6 million? Not even a 1/10. Would not read again.
http://i.imgur.com/T4C3HqI.jpg
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#78BudWisenheimerPosted 8/27/2013 2:43:11 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
I don't subscribe to the "They made a mistake, so they get the benefit of the doubt that they won't repeat it" line of thought.

Oh neither do I. I can see how it might appear that way ... but I'm referring to a possible mandate long before initial manufacturing orders for Xbone with "heads rolling" as a consequence ... as seen with the key head currently in jeopardy of taking a tumble.

blacklabelice posted...
400 million dollars microsoft loses out on (or potentially could have earned) right out of the gate is pretty insignificant

And that's not $400 million they're losing. That's $400 million they're saving. MSFT has to pay $3.1 million (give or take) to fill an order for 6.2 million units. And they might not make any money back on these initial sales. Maybe even a loss. See how crazy these dollar-amounts are?
#79MetroidFan9999Posted 8/27/2013 2:45:44 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...

Yeah it's so unrealistic, this sounds like a MS planted story or something. Try to build hype by false numbers.
---
That's just, like...your opinion, man.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#80TrickyPonyPosted 8/27/2013 2:56:14 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...

Not slashed to 6 million, slashed to 6.2 million. Oh wait sorry, that should be MAY be slashed to 6.2 million