Amazing Interview: Phil Harrison vs GameCentral

#21iSkadooshPosted 8/28/2013 1:59:38 PM
mrshowtime333 posted...
What a little nerd the interviewer is. I dont think Ive ever seen such nonprofessional interview. Hope he never gets another interview. Its one thing to act that way on a internet message board, but jesus you are supposed to be doing a professional job. Act accordingly.

Did you seriously just call someone else a nerd after getting upset over their opinion of your favourite console?
#22BudWisenheimerPosted 8/28/2013 2:02:05 PM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Just wait, it will go from "yeah, we messed up but we changed and we are giving options!" to "Wait, that never happened, we never did that!"

It will take time but they will work day and night to erase this from history.

I don't think it will take any work at all. After launch there will be so little evidence of the perceived anti-consumerism that it will take more effort over the next few years to remind people about policies that never saw implementation ... than the effort required to erase the memory of policies that never saw implementation.

This isn't some teeny-bopper comedy. Most men don't hold grudges over S that "almost" happened.

#23Ramsus082Posted 8/28/2013 2:07:32 PM(edited)
Personally, I've been asking people on this board and others for months now what the justification is for forcing Kinect's inclusion based on nothing but promises that come with a guaranteed install base, when there's absolutely no killer-app for it and there never has been. I felt that it should have been up to Microsoft themselves to make a case for forced Kinect rather than asking their consumer base to help subsidize it for them, and so far they've come up short on that case to be absolutely polite about it. I get frustrated during most XboxOne interviews when the PR rep or the developer or whomever isn't pressed on Kinect and why the peripheral should be included when it hasn't justified itself yet.
I mean, he still dodged the queston, but good on them for asking it.

*EDIT....and he brought up the very good point about developer resources that I haven't seen addressed by anyone yet. Have they considered what the opportunity cost is for focusing on Kinect implementation yet? That's not something we can know obviously, but I've never seen it asked.
#24BudWisenheimerPosted 8/28/2013 2:46:39 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Personally, I've been asking people on this board and others for months now what the justification is for forcing Kinect's inclusion based on nothing but promises that come with a guaranteed install base, when there's absolutely no killer-app for it and there never has been.

Clearly my opinion ... And maybe I'm alone in this ... But the killer application for me is where the Kinect 2.0 makes everything that is mundane about interacting with my home electronics ... less mundane. Maybe that's using Kinect to scan product codes. Or maybe it's swapping games without ever navigating a menu or swapping a disc. Or maybe it's just coming home after a long night out and turning on my home theater by saying "Xbox on" when I walk through the front door.

Any one of those things could be the moment I feel like the KinectBox is fully justified. All of them and more will just add up over time.

I've also seen long detailed demonstrations of Fantasia and a smaller bits of other Kinect games. But those ... and all the things developers haven't imagined yet are just going to be icing on the cake for me.

#25Ramsus082Posted 8/28/2013 3:03:40 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
Clearly my opinion ... And maybe I'm alone in this ... But the killer application for me is where the Kinect 2.0 makes everything that is mundane about interacting with my home electronics ... less mundane. Maybe that's using Kinect to scan product codes. Or maybe it's swapping games without ever navigating a menu or swapping a disc. Or maybe it's just coming home after a long night out and turning on my home theater by saying "Xbox on" when I walk through the front door.
Any one of those things could be the moment I feel like the KinectBox is fully justified. All of them and more will just add up over time.
I've also seen long detailed demonstrations of Fantasia and a smaller bits of other Kinect games. But those ... and all the things developers haven't imagined yet are just going to be icing on the cake for me.

I would never say any of these features Kinect makes possible useless, but what's the gaming opportunity cost for having Kinect a mandatory inclusion? I don't have concrete evidence of this, but it's probably safe to say that pre-order numbers and XboxOne demand in general would be far higher with a Kinect-less, "appropriately" priced consle. More sales probably means more development support in general, from more variety of games to locking up exclusives and more content. Even gaming optimization. There's a lot more that comes with being a clear market leader than just a wider variety of people to play with. I'm just wondering how Microsoft's stubbornness with Kinect, justifiably or not, is going to affect a fanbase that was used to having the best of most worlds as far as gaming was concerned.
#26BudWisenheimerPosted 8/28/2013 3:17:15 PM
mrshowtime333 posted...
What a little nerd the interviewer is. I don't think Ive ever seen such nonprofessional interview. Hope he never gets another interview. Its one thing to act that way on a internet message board, but jesus you are supposed to be doing a professional job. Act accordingly.

I think there is very little chance those were the actual questions Harrison was asked to his face. The majority of them seem very "cooked" after the fact.
#27Bellum_SacrumPosted 8/28/2013 3:48:15 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
I think there is very little chance those were the actual questions Harrison was asked to his face. The majority of them seem very "cooked" after the fact.

Turn your pathetic drone-mode off please. Now you are questioning the integrity of the interview? How low can you fanboys stoop?

I mean why are you even questioning it? Does Phil Harrison's marketing blather somehow surprise you? Have you been paying attention to any of Microsoft's speeches/announcements since May?

Have you ever read an interview that wasn't staged?
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#28matt-nicklinPosted 8/28/2013 3:48:24 PM
It was a pretty good interview, mainly from the point that the interviewer wouldn't just let phil try and sidestep a question.
---
Black FC 2924 3613 2338
#29BudWisenheimerPosted 8/28/2013 3:53:43 PM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
How low can you fanboys stoop?

I think you might have me confused with someone else.

Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Now you are questioning the integrity of the interview?

Have you ever read an interview that wasn't staged?

And now I know you're confused.
#30iceltPosted 8/28/2013 4:07:35 PM
A well deserved tip of the cap to Mr David Jenkins.
---
PSN: icelt
"Beaker on a Hot Tin Roof" http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m506y4kNRX1rxuzpho1_500.gif