Why do people think ms going digital benifits users?

#21BoxTheMuppetPosted 8/29/2013 4:32:46 AM
Just a thought: digital games have to be price checked against the price of a new copy of the game not a used copy. So if its an old game and a used copy is 5 bucks but a new one is 20 I'm guessing the digital will be the 20 dollar price. It's a new copy with no scratches or issues. (Haven't checked on this, just a theory)
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#22SirLemontPosted 8/29/2013 4:39:16 AM
No person or company should be outright barred based on the mistakes of their past, but you should be wary when said person or company continues to make promises.

In the case of Microsoft and their Xbox digital library, there's nothing in their past that would suggest Xbox gamers will see the sales and discounts seen on Steam or PSN. You can go to GoD land you can see even the titles released years ago at full retail. And depending on where you go, you can find those same titles slashed far below retail.

The only benefit gamers gain is convenience. If its release day download, you can have your game even before stores open. But that's where it ends. Oh, and you better hope you're within the data cap too.
#23SORS_IMMANISPosted 8/29/2013 4:41:07 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
sony has a better track record with digital games due to their free games of the month and reduced prices.

Sony has absolutely terrible prices on the UK store.
#24GotTruthPosted 8/29/2013 4:49:18 AM
SirLemont posted......
"The only benefit gamers gain is convenience. If its release day download, you can have your game even before stores open. But that's where it ends. Oh, and you better hope you're within the data cap too."

This guy gets it.
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#25marvelite50Posted 8/29/2013 5:31:33 AM
The problem with digital distribution on consoles is that there is no competition. If a console went all digital, there would only be one place you could buy any game from, so the sellers have no reason to lower the price. Steam offers great deals because it is on PC, which is an open digital market. They have to be competitive. If a console goes all digital then Xbox live or PSN would have no competition at all.
#26blacklabelicePosted 8/29/2013 6:19:09 AM
it will benefit me greatly. i am a 500 pound sloth too lazy to get up off the couch and throw a disc into my drive, or reach 2 inches for my remote control to change the channel on my television. all these kind of gimmicks are fine tuned for a guy like me which is why i am preordering 2 xbones. just in case the first one breaks. anything to prevent me from having to get up off my ass.

A walk to gamestop is almost unheard of for a guy like me, when i cant even squeeze my fat ass out the front door and take a walk to the mall. I dont mind being forced to go online to play my games offline, or spending $200 a month on download overcharges for going over my cap from downloading digital copies either.

DRM FOR LIFE!!
#27sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 7:08:12 AM
marvelite50 posted...
The problem with digital distribution on consoles is that there is no competition. If a console went all digital, there would only be one place you could buy any game from, so the sellers have no reason to lower the price. Steam offers great deals because it is on PC, which is an open digital market. They have to be competitive. If a console goes all digital then Xbox live or PSN would have no competition at all.

Very very true. I was trying to make the same point to the propenents of this digital thing. the games on demand is the proof that what you said is the way its going to be if Ms goes digital.
Games on demand is not equal to steam. Games there are at full prices even a year after release and there are no steam like sales.

If MS wanted us to take their digital vision seriously, then they could have made a convincing case by offering much sharper prices and steam like sales on their GoD over the last one year. Then we would have believed them. However, knowing what they are doing currently, i dont understand how people 'trust' them to make the.console steam like.
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#28TheHunger82Posted 8/29/2013 7:49:41 AM
Gold25one posted...
sanas_thiritu posted...
Decimator11 posted...
Because of the advantages that come with it.

And I never sell my games back, and I generally don't buy used, as I do my research on games I want and only buy them if I feel that they're a sure thing.

fair enough. But lets consider that you're planning on buying a game that came out 6 months ago. Ms digital would charge you full price for the game as opposed to the retail copy which would have dropped in price. Would you still buy digital then?

Tomb raider is 60 bucks in store and 40 on GOD... and i got it even cheaper from a sale.

I bought it for 15 from GOD. Very happy.
---
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
GamerTag : TheHunger82
#29darkphiresagePosted 8/29/2013 8:35:33 AM
they think that because they somehow tricked themselves into believing it tc. I also believe either MS or some gamer publication mentioned how it would be "almost like steam" in it's implementation, and many of them interpreted that as, "MS will be as cheap as steam!!!", (which was probably the intended effect).

if they thought about it, they'd realize that MS doesn't price their digital games competitively now when they have to compete with physical sales from gamestop, amazon, gohastings, etc including cheap ass used game prices. I have no idea what leads them to believe MS will all of a sudden have steam-like prices/deals if they go all digital, and have literally zero competition for sales on their own console.

I've asked this question before in threads like this and got nothing but, "you don't know what they will do", or some complete nonsense that amounts to, "I believe in Microsoft", or no answer at all. the fact is, MS going all digital gives them both, substantially higher profits, and likely near complete control over pricing. (because when you make sure titles for your console can only be bought in your own store, you can dictate your price to publishers if they wanna move any product on your console at all.) there would be zero incentive to even lower prices to begin with, let alone have any sales.

if they had managed to trick enough people into believing in their "future", I wouldn't have been sure whether to laugh at or pity X1 owners. cuz they would either be shelling out another $400 for a ps4, or still paying full price for games that are 4 years old halfway through the generation.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.