What can Microsoft do with the cloud that Sony can't?

#61mrshowtime333Posted 8/31/2013 7:09:53 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
People are just being foolish trying to convince themselves that even though the investment by Sony is like 5% of what MS has put down, its going to be the exact same.

Thats the thing though. Sony hasnt invested anything into it. If you are talking about the purchase of GaiKai, thats not cloud servers. GaiKai rents servers from a third party.

Basically Sony can not do what MS is doing with the "cloud". Its that simple. They have no current infrastructure and because of the current state of the company as a whole, they cant afford to drop over a billion into building the massive infrastructure.
#62DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/31/2013 7:12:22 AM
I wasn't talking about Gaikai, which really has nothing to do with Cloud gaming. I was talking about how Sony is trying to work with Rackspace as I thought thats what that was for.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#63Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/31/2013 7:15:05 AM
PsychoGates posted...

Want proof MS's capabilities are making a difference? COD: Ghosts, a 3rd party game with dedicated servers only on 1 console. So this goes beyond just 1st party games.

That's proof? I assume Xbox One getting expansions, etc first for that particular game has nothing to do with MS offering dedicated servers.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#64mrshowtime333Posted 8/31/2013 7:15:09 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
I wasn't talking about Gaikai, which really has nothing to do with Cloud gaming. I was talking about how Sony is trying to work with Rackspace as I thought thats what that was for.

Yes Sony is paying Rackspace as a consultant currently. The only thing Sony can afford to do right now is rent servers. Which is kind of pointless since they couldnt be offered to devs at a price that makes sense.
#65DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/31/2013 7:18:49 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
PsychoGates posted...

Want proof MS's capabilities are making a difference? COD: Ghosts, a 3rd party game with dedicated servers only on 1 console. So this goes beyond just 1st party games.

That's proof? I assume Xbox One getting expansions, etc first for that particular game has nothing to do with MS offering dedicated servers.

Nope. Its because of cloud. The DLC is paid for. Its already a terrible precedent since Sony doesn't even have Dedicated for its biggest first party game.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#66imjustdatnicePosted 8/31/2013 8:18:15 AM
Wouldn't developers have to do more work to have one console use the cloud for processing than instead of both? Since its been confirmed that both consoles can do cloud processing and computations.
#67nb003_99Posted 8/31/2013 8:44:31 AM
Hype.
---
"DRM aside, all of Microsofts moves have been as intended."
- Hentaidoji
#68MrSpaM111Posted 8/31/2013 8:54:42 AM
SilentS89 posted...
Apparently, Microsoft can market their cloud better than Sony.

Apparently, Microsoft have been doing everything they can to try and misguide people who dont understand what the cloud is, and have been making it out to be more than it actually is.

The bottom line is the cloud services are going to be practically identical on both consoles.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#69mrshowtime333Posted 8/31/2013 9:15:20 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
SilentS89 posted...
Apparently, Microsoft can market their cloud better than Sony.

Apparently, Microsoft have been doing everything they can to try and misguide people who dont understand what the cloud is, and have been making it out to be more than it actually is.

The bottom line is the cloud services are going to be practically identical on both consoles.

This is just a wrong statement. And im not sure how you come to that conclusion. Sony has zero server infrastructure at this point in time. Sure, like last gen they will be renting servers for things like game saves and GaiKai. But that in no way is identical to what MS is proposing.
#70CapnStankyPosted 8/31/2013 9:21:47 AM
Microsoft's advantage:

- They own all the servers. Thus they're free to use by MS.
- Can rent them out at hugely reduced rates, or give them away, in exchange for exclusivity
- Azure doesn't just support storage (similar to Rackspace) and broadcast(similar to Gaikai), it also supports server side computations on a massive scale. Using this, games can offset computations and code in the cloud to free up resources on the console. Sony rents from Rackspace and owns GaiKai. Neither of those services offer server-side computations.If Sony wanted to do this they'd need to rent from Microsoft or Amazon. Sony can no longer afford to set up their own Azure-esque server farm.