What can Microsoft do with the cloud that Sony can't?

#81mrshowtime333Posted 8/31/2013 10:27:09 AM
Yes, they did. Because they RENTED them.

Do you kids learn nothing in school these days? You realize the difference between OWNING and RENTING right?
#82lilj812(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 10:27:18 AM
Fustmonkey posted...
lilj812 those aren't dynamic servers that can be created and taken down in seconds. Having dynamic servers means that servers can be made in places that make the most sense for gamers to all connect at optimum speeds.

It's not like that on the PS3 or 360. It won't be like that on the PS4 based on anything we've seen so far.

Oh.... how does this beat P2P and a server browser? You connect depending on ping thus guaranteeing yourself a great connection????
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#83TYWlN_LANNISTERPosted 8/31/2013 10:30:05 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#84FustmonkeyPosted 8/31/2013 10:32:54 AM
lilj812 posted...
Fustmonkey posted...
lilj812 those aren't dynamic servers that can be created and taken down in seconds. Having dynamic servers means that servers can be made in places that make the most sense for gamers to all connect at optimum speeds.

It's not like that on the PS3 or 360. It won't be like that on the PS4 based on anything we've seen so far.

Oh.... how does this beat P2P and a server browser? You connect depending on ping thus guaranteeing yourself a great connection????

Because now that same game that would have been P2P with those exact same players would all be connecting to a server instead, and not any one host who would have advantage.

Ever play a group of kids all playing from the same dorm? They are all getting that host advantage while the rest of the players all struggle to keep up with.

A server would take away that advantage.

And besides that, you're talking about everybody being random, and connecting to others because of their Ping... it doesn't work like that in the real world. In the real world we game with friends, and our friends may not be the optimum ping.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#85sworderPosted 8/31/2013 10:35:36 AM
servers remove host advantage and host migration

I'm almost always on top of the COD scoreboard whether I'm host or not so that doesn't really affect me
#86FustmonkeyPosted 8/31/2013 10:40:45 AM
sworder posted...
servers remove host advantage and host migration

I'm almost always on top of the COD scoreboard whether I'm host or not so that doesn't really affect me

Being on top has nothing to do with how good the experience is. I could play a game with the crappiest netcode ever and get good enough to be on top of leaderboards. Doesn't mean anything.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#87chrish909Posted 8/31/2013 11:12:51 AM
Yeomanly posted...
For all those saying they could use Gaikai, you have to take in to account that..

a) Gaikai will not be available until mid 2014 in America Only, due to them /rentingsetting up servers

b) Not available worldwide until end of 2015 or even later, official now from sony.

So best Sony can do at this point is spend a hell of a lot of money renting servers worldwide to even consider matching what Microsoft can offer 'day one' with Azure.

Sony do not have the resources to do this, they will hope for a massive uptake on PS+ and use that to rent servers.

---
Sony promised 30 first year exclusives for ps4 first year. Too bad they are mostly indy titles.
#88SORS_IMMANISPosted 8/31/2013 11:19:56 AM
lilj812 posted...
What can Microsoft do with the cloud that Sony can't?

F*** all.
#89regsantotomasPosted 8/31/2013 11:23:30 AM
It isn't a matter of can't as much as it is simply a different implementation of the technology and service.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#90seankimberley42Posted 8/31/2013 11:48:34 AM
monegames posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...
http://videogamesandnews.com/xbox-one-cloud-a-pr-gimmick-or-the-real-deal/

So I reached out to the author of the Wired article, Peter Rubin and asked him how this would work. Do developers have to rent out the servers? Do they just have access to them etc. Here is his reply.

“Microsoft is subsidizing cloud utility for developers—essentially, it will cost developers nothing to build on/access the Azure platform. So while I don’t believe it’s mandatory for a title to offer dedicated servers, there wouldn’t be any investment on the dev side to do so, which means… Yup, dedicated servers for everything. (Certainly for marquee MP experiences like BF3/4, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, etc). This is a huge part of why “persistent online world” was such a buzzphrase at E3 this year.”

EDIT: here's the wired link that's in the article http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

They bolded part is not from the dev. its the author's interpretation to the first part of the quote, "Microsoft is subsidizing cloud utility for developers". you can tell this by the hyphen. so none of what he said is confirmed by either the dev or microsoft, except for MS subsidizing the cloud utilities.

Also Activision has not said that MS is paying for cod dedicated servers, nor have they said that ps4 will not be getting them as well.

Ok can you at least try and read the article? There is a quote from a MS representative stating that there will be no investment on the devs end for dedicated servers. No investment means no monetary cost. That means free for those who can't follow along.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice