To go Digital or not to go Digital

#1Artvandelay1984Posted 8/30/2013 2:51:35 PM
A part of me wants to go all digital. However the part of me that grew up buying games at the store is refusing. Very hard choice atm
#2bessy67Posted 8/30/2013 2:57:01 PM
Physical has more value IMO. You can't currently sell, trade or borrow digital so I won't pay full price for it. If they do ever come out with a digital game resale marketplace or bring back family share I might consider going full digital.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3bob15xPosted 8/30/2013 2:58:07 PM
bessy67 posted...
Physical has more value IMO. You can't currently sell, trade or borrow digital so I won't pay full price for it. If they do ever come out with a digital game resale marketplace or bring back family share I might consider going full digital.

I say within a year you will be able to sell digital. MS already had that in the works before the drm switch. I like the idea of never having to worry about damaging a disk or losing it.
#4RollnThunder213Posted 8/30/2013 3:09:32 PM
Look at it this way, installs are mandatory so you're taking up the same hard drive space either way. It's easier to switch games with no discs. No need to store boxes. etc etc.

I say the only reasons not to go digital are if you resell games all the damn time or within a month of buying a new game (we'll get digital reselling eventually but obviously you don't want to rely on something that'll supposedly happen in the future), or have insanely low data caps per month. In every other scenario digital is going to be the easier and more convenient option.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#5MrImpatient35Posted 8/30/2013 3:13:47 PM
Right now, I'll buy half of my games digitally. If they actually make it possible to resell your digital games, which they're experimenting with right now, then I'm ALL in.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#6BoxTheMuppetPosted 8/30/2013 3:14:45 PM
Link where it says MS is looking into allowing the resale of digital games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-considering-allowing-users-to-resell-digital-games-6413770
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#7unclekoolaid73Posted 8/30/2013 3:15:47 PM
I will never (if I can help it) buy a digital game if the physical copy is available...NEVER!!!!!
I guess im old school but I like the box art and the smell of a freshly open video game. I liked the booklets but lets be honest those are a thing of the past. Also the whole selling of a game or lending it to a friend is easier IMO.
#8RollnThunder213Posted 8/30/2013 3:29:43 PM
unclekoolaid73 posted...
I will never (if I can help it) buy a digital game if the physical copy is available...NEVER!!!!!
I guess im old school but I like the box art and the smell of a freshly open video game. I liked the booklets but lets be honest those are a thing of the past. Also the whole selling of a game or lending it to a friend is easier IMO.

I like the smell too, but booklets are far gone by now and so should the cases. If on the Xbox One you can't play from the disc and it's only used for authentication then it has no purpose besides reselling right now which will later be supported.

Concerning sharing games, a digital family share with 10 people despite having to be online once every 24 hours sounds more convenient to me than giving someone a disc (thus being unable to play the game yourself and possibly lose/ruin it) and then getting it back. We'll get a family share back, but to access that feature you'll for sure have to be connected.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#9userfrigginamePosted 8/30/2013 3:36:37 PM
If you can get games much cheaper, then maybe you should go digital if you're in a quandary. If not, I'd stay with physical since you don't have the actual luxury of really owning ur games. I mean digital's nice for getting rid of having to store your games, but you could easily put them in a CD case.
#10yanksfan4247Posted 8/30/2013 4:31:03 PM
Halo series = all physical. (own every copy except Wars and Anniversary)

Everything else = digital.
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer