Does the external power brick bother you at all? Worried about another RROD?

#1Shad0wg00nPosted 8/30/2013 9:24:21 PM
As a consumer does the external power brick bother you at all or couldn't care less? Smart move to leave out another heat source even if the system has the space for it? Remember, some people still have working launch PS3's due to Sony pulling out all the stops with the cooling despite a massive internal power supply. Very few launch 360's are in the wild that work that haven't been repaired or were never opened. Hell, the 360 Core from November '05 only goes up to Component video, no Wi-Fi and came with a wired controller and has no HDD (used 64MB memory cards.) That's an 8-year old console for sure that still plays games made today, it'd be nice if they actually worked. I'd say the power supply isn't a big issue and people overreact about the brick but cooling is a big issue. Are you worried about another RROD?
#2TYWIN_LANNlSTERPosted 8/30/2013 9:26:38 PM
It's awful. I don't understand why it needs it. The PS4 produces more raw power yet it needs no power boulder.

I guess we will never know. Damn though, the PS4 must have some sophisticated tech.
#3MyExtraAccountPosted 8/30/2013 9:28:55 PM
TYWIN_LANNlSTER posted...
It's awful. I don't understand why it needs it. The PS4 produces more raw power yet it needs no power boulder.

I guess we will never know. Damn though, the PS4 must have some sophisticated tech.

I'm actually surprised that this gets looked past with the Ps4. Both consoles will generate much heat, I have no clue how in the world Sony got the Ps4 to be cool enough on the inside.

For the thread,

No, the brick isn't really a buying/not buying point. I mean, it seems to be unneccesary, but it's just another thing to shove behind my tv.
---
The official Tsun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!
#4Orange_ApplesPosted 8/30/2013 9:29:30 PM
As long as the cord from the brick to the console is long enough I don't really care. My problem is when that cord is not long enough and I can't quite put the console where I want.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#5Shad0wg00n(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 9:30:01 PM
Here's a pic of the power brick in front of Major Nelson btw:

http://xboxonedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Xbox-One-Brick.png
#6TYWIN_LANNlSTERPosted 8/30/2013 9:30:34 PM
Yeah man, it's strange. The PS4 packs a nuclear holocaust of a punch compared to the chasing pack, yet it's small, has no power brick, and runs cooler. Are Sony wizards?
#7TYWIN_LANNlSTERPosted 8/30/2013 9:31:54 PM
Shad0wg00n posted...
Here's a pic of the power brick in front of Major Nelson btw:

http://xboxonedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Xbox-One-Brick.png

Lmao! You could kill someone with that thing. Are MS ghostbusting?
#8RollnThunder213Posted 8/30/2013 9:32:04 PM
I'm never moving my console so if anything having a power brick is better. I'd rather tuck it behind the entertainment center and have the whole system operate cooler and prolong its life than have it all in one package. Maybe if you're constantly moving your system around or between places it wouldn't be fun but in my case it's a benefit.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#9Shad0wg00n(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 9:34:00 PM
MyExtraAccount posted...

I'm actually surprised that this gets looked past with the Ps4. Both consoles will generate much heat, I have no clue how in the world Sony got the Ps4 to be cool enough on the inside.

For the thread,

No, the brick isn't really a buying/not buying point. I mean, it seems to be unneccesary, but it's just another thing to shove behind my tv.

PS3 used a much, much, much more complicated cooling design than the original 360 with heat pipes, a bigger fan, and more heat sinks. The original 360 used the one fan at the back of the console to cool one side of the CPU and GPU in the centre of the console. Cheaper but it cost Microsoft over a billion dollars and was an embarrassment they hopefully learned their lesson from. PS4 will run cooler than PS3 (max 35C instead of 55) but almost certainly hotter than the One. Sony will hopefully pull out all the stops for launch again though.
#10Shad0wg00n(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 9:40:17 PM(edited)
Yeah man, it's strange. The PS4 packs a nuclear holocaust of a punch compared to the chasing pack, yet it's small, has no power brick, and runs cooler. Are Sony wizards?

Efficiency and a very, very, very tight design.

Here's Xbox One on the other hand, a lot more breathing room, very PC-like (not just in it being x86), and looks like it'll run quite quiet (educated guess, nothing more.)

http://www.redgamingtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xbox-one-inside-the-console.jpg

PS4 is going to be a tight squeeze and will probably have many chips on both sides of the motherboard, a clamshell design so to speak. It'll hopefully be fine as long as it never gets above that 35 degrees and the vents (including almost the entire back of the console) aren't blocked.

Bottom line is Microsoft and Sony were developing their internals from completely different perspectives.