XBOX ONE may be more POWERFUL than PS4 (links)

#1strike_bladePosted 8/31/2013 8:38:08 AM
Here is proof of how and why this rumour is gaining traction.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-xbox-one-will-be-more-powerful-than-ps4.453317631/

This link talks about it in greater technical detail.

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/132131.html

i think this started when a dev claimed to recieve a recent devkit with a dgpu inside (remember reading it somewhere). dgpu stands for discrete graphics processing unit and it would work in combination with the apu. Supposedly msoft have not been able to talk about this because of an nda with amd which will finish by the end of september. If this turns out to be true- the x1 is in fact more powerful than the ps4- the ps4 has the equivalency to a radeon 7850-7870 (more sources lean with 7870) in terms of power while the x1 power is equivalent to a radeon 7770-7790- however if the dgpu rumour turns out to be true the x1's power is actually equavalent to a radeon 7900 series from the suggestions i have seen.

Another big reason the dgpu is gaining traction is if you see the links- i understand there is alot more room on the soc- something along the lines of 176mm which is just enough to add a dgpu. The other reason is tech sites are calling the soc architecture a little bizarre and msoft have confirmed that they have not fully revealed their specs on the system.

Also i just want to say from the recent reveal at hot chips- the suggested power disparity between the two consoles are no where near that some would have you believe earlier. The 50% more powerful is absolute nonsense. This fact stemmed from the xbox gpu having 12 compute units while ps4 had 18 compute units. So this means 50% more powerful? wrong! But everyone forgets that 4 of ps4 cus are compute only since the ps4 cpu is not powerful enough to handle them, sony offloaded these calculations to the 4 cus putting the graphic computations count 14 vs 12 on the x1. These same calculations on the x1 are done on the cpu due to the heavy customization which achieves 6 cycles instead of the usual 4 cycles on ps4. They both use x86 architecture but msoft souped up the cpu to achieve the higher cycle count. That huge advantage everyone thought sony had is not present anymore (still a minor advantage though).

There is a lot to read through and i am no expert on tech but this is what i have gathered to understand and reading through some of the links. Although this is huge if by the end of spetember msoft reveals a dgpu in the system- even if its not true though you can rest knwing that 50% more powerful console is not 50% more powerful lol. cheers.
#2sworderPosted 8/31/2013 8:40:42 AM
you read a bunch of lies and believed them

gullibility 101

welcome to the internet
#3lilj812Posted 8/31/2013 8:43:12 AM
A couple months before release and they're going to add hardware to the Xbox one? That's the only way to make it more "powerful" in any sense... and it would delay the xbox many moons.
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#4LovecraftiangodPosted 8/31/2013 8:44:15 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Almost every positive rumor about the xbone has been disproven
---
PSN kolobos212 The time has come when the normal revolt against time,space, and matter H.P. Lovecraft
#5sworderPosted 8/31/2013 8:44:53 AM
Lovecraftiangod posted...
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Almost every positive rumor about the xbone has been disproven

this is not a rumor

this is a blatant lie, how could anyone fall for this?

it's posted in livejournal lol
#6BelberithPosted 8/31/2013 8:46:12 AM
strike_blade posted...
Here is proof of how and why this rumour is gaining traction.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-xbox-one-will-be-more-powerful-than-ps4.453317631/

This link talks about it in greater technical detail.

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/132131.html

i think this started when a dev claimed to recieve a recent devkit with a dgpu inside (remember reading it somewhere). dgpu stands for discrete graphics processing unit and it would work in combination with the apu. Supposedly msoft have not been able to talk about this because of an nda with amd which will finish by the end of september. If this turns out to be true- the x1 is in fact more powerful than the ps4- the ps4 has the equivalency to a radeon 7850-7870 (more sources lean with 7870) in terms of power while the x1 power is equivalent to a radeon 7770-7790- however if the dgpu rumour turns out to be true the x1's power is actually equavalent to a radeon 7900 series from the suggestions i have seen.

Another big reason the dgpu is gaining traction is if you see the links- i understand there is alot more room on the soc- something along the lines of 176mm which is just enough to add a dgpu. The other reason is tech sites are calling the soc architecture a little bizarre and msoft have confirmed that they have not fully revealed their specs on the system.

Also i just want to say from the recent reveal at hot chips- the suggested power disparity between the two consoles are no where near that some would have you believe earlier. The 50% more powerful is absolute nonsense. This fact stemmed from the xbox gpu having 12 compute units while ps4 had 18 compute units. So this means 50% more powerful? wrong! But everyone forgets that 4 of ps4 cus are compute only since the ps4 cpu is not powerful enough to handle them, sony offloaded these calculations to the 4 cus putting the graphic computations count 14 vs 12 on the x1. These same calculations on the x1 are done on the cpu due to the heavy customization which achieves 6 cycles instead of the usual 4 cycles on ps4. They both use x86 architecture but msoft souped up the cpu to achieve the higher cycle count. That huge advantage everyone thought sony had is not present anymore (still a minor advantage though).

There is a lot to read through and i am no expert on tech but this is what i have gathered to understand and reading through some of the links. Although this is huge if by the end of spetember msoft reveals a dgpu in the system- even if its not true though you can rest knwing that 50% more powerful console is not 50% more powerful lol. cheers.

sources: IGN forums and Live Journal.
#7strike_blade(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 8:46:22 AM
Oh and i forgot to say comment about the ram set up. The 8 gb of gddr5 ram gets sony 176 gbps. while msoft with 8 gb of drr3 ram with 32 ms of esram gets is anywhere from 110gbps- 201gbps. This means theoretically with really good code you get 201 and really bad code gets you 110. However in reality msoft will achieve 140-150 gbps. However with hardware tools and driver upgrades in the future devs will be able to get nore juice out of the x1 ram putting it closer to sony's 176 one the x1 is optimised. The same cannot be said about sony though since their gddr5 ram setup will only output 176gbps as suggested from tech experts (although this is a good thing for ps4 since it is strong in the ram department but once again due to the customizations x1 is not very far behind- oh and i dont have to remind people that ddr3 ram is much lower latency than gddr5 ram so there are inherrent advantages to the x1 ram setup as well.
#8MrSpaM111Posted 8/31/2013 8:49:59 AM
facepalm.jpg
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#9teehee23Posted 8/31/2013 8:50:07 AM
Very interesting and sound legit.
Xbox #1 is my most powerful choice for next gen.
Thank you for the link.
---
And the voice of an Angel spoke to me, that I was created righteous. And all that oppose me shall bring suffering upon themselves. Amen.
#10Shacky_101Posted 8/31/2013 8:50:42 AM
strike_blade posted...
Oh and i forgot to say comment about the ram set up. The 8 gb of gddr5 ram gets sony 176 gbps. while msoft with 8 gb of drr3 ram with 32 ms of esram gets is anywhere from 110gbps- 201gbps. This means theoretically with really good code you get 201 and really bad code gets you 110. However in reality msoft will achieve 140-150 gbps. However with hardware tools and driver upgrades in the future devs will be able to get nore juice out of the x1 ram putting it closer to sony's 176 one the x1 is optimised. The same cannot be said about sony though since their gddr5 ram setup will only output 176gbps as suggested from tech experts (although this is a good thing for ps4 since it is strong in the ram department but once again due to the customizations x1 is not very far behind- oh and i dont have to remind people that ddr3 ram is much lower latency than gddr5 ram so there are inherrent advantages to the x1 ram setup as well.

GDDR5 may technically have more latency, but the difference is so little that there is no point in even mentioning it.
---
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.