Xbox One cannot preload digital games*

#1Foxx3kPosted 9/2/2013 4:41:55 PM
Xbox One cannot preload digital games at launch. Which means they may or may not be able to later on in the life of the Xbox One.

But, regardless, that's a pathetic feature to omit. I have to wonder if this was a recent change in response to the recent GTA5 fiasco from the PS3.

None the less, this is a major hit to the viability of digital game purchasing. The impact to the servers when major releases come out - Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc - will be ruinous and devastating. While you can immediately start playing and all that fun jazz, I highly doubt that they will be able to deliver speeds necessary to satiate millions and millions of users downloading at 12:01AM ...

Source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#2bessy67Posted 9/2/2013 4:44:49 PM(edited)
They've already said you can play as you download, so why is preloading a big deal? XBL isn't like PSN, where people downloading a demo crashes the entire service.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3LovecraftiangodPosted 9/2/2013 4:44:30 PM
Ouch how much worse can the Xbox get?
---
PSN kolobos212 The time has come when the normal revolt against time,space, and matter H.P. Lovecraft
#4Foxx3k(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 4:45:08 PM
bessy67 posted...
They've already said you can play as you download, so why is preloading a big deal? XBL isn't like PSN, where people downloading a demo crashes the entire service.

I addressed that in my post which you chose not to read. Please read my post and try again. Thank you.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#5NatatteruPosted 9/2/2013 4:46:37 PM
bessy67 posted...

Good job not reading and just bashing because you could.
---
3DS: 3239-2567-4999 PSN: NatatBW XBL: Natatdood
Mains: P4A: Liz - BBCSX: Bang - AE: Cammy/Ibuki - 3s: Makoto - MBAACC: H-VSion/C-Ryougi - Dragon's Crown: Elf
#6bessy67Posted 9/2/2013 4:47:27 PM
Natatteru posted...
bessy67 posted...

Good job not reading and just bashing because you could.

What didn't I read? He implied that XBL wasn't reliable enough to handle the traffic, and I implied that it was.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
#7Big FanPosted 9/2/2013 4:47:58 PM
Foxx3k posted...
bessy67 posted...

I addressed that in my post which you chose not to read. Please read my post and try again. Thank you.

Except that MS has about 300,000 servers. I think we'll be alright

Anyway, has Sony announced you can or can't preload?
---
GT: Code XxX
Miami Dolphins
#8gobuffalo30Posted 9/2/2013 4:49:47 PM
Aren't those 300,000 servers for everyone, including businesses, and not just XBL?
#9bessy67Posted 9/2/2013 4:50:26 PM
gobuffalo30 posted...
Aren't those 300,000 servers for everyone, including businesses, and not just XBL?

Nope, 300,000 servers from the Azure service set aside solely for Xbox Live.
---
#10Foxx3k(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 4:50:53 PM
Big Fan posted...
Foxx3k posted...
bessy67 posted...

Except that MS has about 300,000 servers. I think we'll be alright

Anyway, has Sony announced you can or can't preload?

Those servers are doing a lot of things ... I suggest that you look at the launch of nearly any online game heavily dependent on servers and you'll see that they crash nearly immediately. Now, imagine the launch of a Call of Duty game that could suffer that fate.

Mind you, Xbox Live crashed in December 2007 "because of" (popularly attributed to) unexpected traffic to Call of Duty 4.

I don't believe Sony has announced whether it can or cannot, but the Playstation 3 allows certain titles to be preloaded.
---