Microsoft just acquired Nokia for $7 billion

#1eastofeastsidePosted 9/2/2013 8:44:42 PM
If Microsoft has the cash to acquire a company like Nokia for that much money it is going to have no problem handing it to a broken down, has been corp like Sony over the long run.

Elop new head of Xbox.
#2AwayFromHerePosted 9/2/2013 8:48:06 PM
Welp, there goes Nokia's seemingly indestructible construction.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3Orange_ApplesPosted 9/2/2013 8:50:47 PM
Nokia is the only company serious about making Windows Phones. I guess it makes sense.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#4sworderPosted 9/2/2013 8:50:53 PM
eastofeastside posted...
If Microsoft has the cash to acquire a company like Nokia for that much money it is going to have no problem handing it to a broken down, has been corp like Sony over the long run.

Elop new head of Xbox.

12 years and all they've done is lose billions, and now suddenly on their way to their biggest failure so far

they should be ashamed that a company that needs to sell buildings to stay afloat is not only gonna kick their ass but make millions more than them while doing so
#5bessy67Posted 9/2/2013 9:03:25 PM
Cool. If they're willing to spend $7 billion to dive even deeper into the devices market then I doubt they'll even consider selling off their most successful devices brand (Xbox).
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#6HiddenRoarPosted 9/2/2013 9:05:22 PM
bessy67 posted...
Cool. If they're willing to spend $7 billion to dive even deeper into the devices market then I doubt they'll even consider selling off their most successful devices brand (Xbox).

Define success.

Did they go back to black yet? Last I checked it was around 5-6 billion in the red.
#7TwistedxL3G3NDPosted 9/2/2013 9:06:09 PM
sworder posted...
eastofeastside posted...

Elop new head of Xbox.

12 years and all they've done is lose billions, and now suddenly on their way to their biggest failure so far

they should be ashamed that a company that needs to sell buildings to stay afloat is not only gonna kick their ass but make millions more than them while doing so

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4535194/microsoft-q4-2013-financial-earnings

Nope.
---
Hey guise look at my PC specs I'm sure you all care!
#8sworderPosted 9/2/2013 9:09:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9bessy67Posted 9/2/2013 9:09:34 PM
HiddenRoar posted...
bessy67 posted...

Define success.

Did they go back to black yet? Last I checked it was around 5-6 billion in the red.

For all of their entertainment devices (Zune, Surface, Kin, Xbox) they are in the red but Xbox turns a profit.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#10ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/2/2013 9:10:39 PM
All of this reassurance is very pointless. Microsoft's gaming division has little to do with its other actions. If their gaming division sells poorly, you think the higher ups would care about selling the Xbox brand away? They obviously already make plenty of money elsewhere, they don't need Xbox.

Sony however, being the smaller company that it is, makes far more use out of its gaming division than Microsoft does. Without playstation, Sony would actually struggle. They actually have incentive to keep their gaming division afloat and competitive. If the XB1 fails too much, Microsoft investors will want it out.