legit question regarding ps4 and x1 - not trying to troll

#1BeardedXBatmanPosted 9/3/2013 9:22:30 PM
like i said in the title, im not trying to troll so dont take this as an attack on microsoft or the fans or anything like that. just making a serious inquiry and maybe start a good back and forth discussion.

i bought the original xbox and the 360 on their respective launch dates. i've spent countless hours on both machines (still do) and pretty much all of my xbox memories are good ones, save for the couple of red rings i had with earlier models and a couple customer service problems with MS. i also bought the ps2 at launch and bought a ps3 about a year after its launch. all in all, i dont have a bias towards one console or the other, i'm just a gamer. all that matters to me is the games. i dont buy all my multiplatform games for xbox, i but them each for whichever console is going to give me the best experiece. AC3 for example, i bought for the ps3 because it came with extra content where as i bought skyrim for the 360 because it had a more stable frame rate.

so over the last few months, since the x1 was announced, i've had a ps4 pre-ordered. no worries, i'll be buying an x1 at some point (likely after new years) but watching both reveals, seeing both games line ups and digging into the specs and features of each console, I just feel like the ps4 is the better buy and the better value to me.

the reason i'm posting all this, is that i'm seeing topic after topic on these boards and the ps4 boards of people pretty much just saying 'xbone sucks, playstation for life!' and vice versa. the art of dialogue has been lost somewhere along the way. take a second, compose yourself and post WHY you prefer the xbox one, the ps4 or even the wiiu (lol). maybe if you explain what it is, someone will see your point and rethink their purchase.

i'm choosing the ps4 because i'm more interested in the launch day/launch window games. that's pretty much my only reason. both of these consoles have pros and cons and when i really compare the hardware, i dont see a reason to pick one over the other. it just comes down to games for me.

so, i'd like to hear your reasons for wanting the xbox over the ps. or the other way around if you're going that way. but man, lets have a conversation instead of a flame war ya?

i'm interested to see what you all have to say.
---
*This message has been brought to you by The Bearded Batman, LLC*
PSN/XBL - BeardedXBatman
#2Forte_SoldadoPosted 9/3/2013 10:43:30 PM
Modern medicine and gun control keep the stupid people around, which allows them to breed and pass there stupid genes on. These people are everywhere, and in the video game world they take the form of fanboys. They are mindless drones that just mimic back what they here like a parrot. Actually that is offensive to parrots, they can be reasoned with.

Once one accepts the fact that this is the reality and chooses to ignore these people, the better this place will become.

Now on to the fact that I don't want to get the XBOX one because of there obvious money hungry business practices. I feared for gaming once I heard what was happening. I felt that now was my time to quit, but the PS4 came around and restored my faith a little bit. Still skeptical of course, but still getting a PS4.

For those who make the argument that XBOX reversed their decisions, for one, they're doing it through a patch. Yeah, I'm sure this system changing patch that goes against how it was built won't cause any complications what so ever. People show their true colors through their actions, and Sony showed me they care, while XBOX showed that they do not.

But for those who are getting the ONE for reasons that aren't, HERP DERP its BETTER! More power to you, enjoy your system.
---
"If someone this morning told me that a toothbrush was going to save the Normandy....I would've been very skeptical." Commander Shepard.
#3Millertime660Posted 9/3/2013 11:03:26 PM
Its so nice to see stuff posted like this! An actual conversation I can get into!!!

For me, I am getting an X1 at launch for basically the same reasons and then some, games! Looking forward to DR3 alot and obviously Titanfall is within the launch window and that is exciting.

A few other reasons are the controller and xboxlive. My main console was the 360 so I want to continue doing my main gaming in that eco system. I will eventually grab a PS4 for exclusives but never got into Killzone or Infamous.

I like the idea of getting excited about next gen, not arguing!
#4Forte_SoldadoPosted 9/3/2013 11:17:45 PM
As someone who is getting a PS4 I can honestly say I'm disappointed that I will be missing out on Titanfall. I already sold my 360 because of the double or nothing deal gamestop had going on. I never cared for dead rising 3, don't feel I'm missing out on anything there. Also, never cared for Halo or gears of war. My deciding factor for getting a 360 over the PS3 was Mass Effect...so when that became multi platform.... That opened up some future doors for me.

But I have missed out on Infamous, which always looked good to me, and uncharted, which always looked good to me. Never cared for God of war or killzone, but they're there as options. Also the Last of Us, and that Ellen page game looks interesting too. With Gaikai I will one day be able to enjoy those as well. Another plus for PS4 for me
---
"If someone this morning told me that a toothbrush was going to save the Normandy....I would've been very skeptical." Commander Shepard.
#5CaIiber345Posted 9/3/2013 11:38:17 PM(edited)
Once upon a time I loved PS2. Then I bought Xbox 360 and have loved it ever since. I don't swear allegiance to any one console, company, or brand. I've been gaming for 30 years and know that things change. I go where I feel the best value is for me as a gamer, as opposed to the name on the console. I've owned NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, GC, PS, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360.

I am not buying Xbox One. Here is why.

Multimedia and Kinect
-I was planning on sticking with the Xbox brand until the reveal of Xbox One. Their brand messaging turned me off immediately, because I do not use my console for multimedia purposes and I could not stand their DRM and other policies. I play games on it, and maybe watch a DVD every now and then. While I accept that those features are there and are a valuable service for many people, the fact that so much time and effort has been put into it shows me Microsoft is aggressively pushing for a home entertainment device. While that is an understandable and acceptable business model for a company, it is a push in a direction that does not appeal to me. I know PS4 will offer many of the same services, but I like that they leave them in the background and push their console as a gaming machine first and foremost. As a gamer, that's the message and focus that I want from a console.

- I cannot stand the Kinect; yes, I own one and tried it with a number of games. It does not interest me at all, both in terms of gaming and other functions. I readily acknowledge that from what we've seen, it is improved and an impressive piece of tech. However I do not need voice controls or motion gaming, nor do I want them. The focus on advertising also bothers me. As for the spying thing that so many people are on about, I do not deny its a possibility, but I personally am not swayed by that possibility when talking about Kinect. The fact that MS makes me own yet another Kinect, regardless of the fact that it can now be disabled, sours me on the console even more.

Games/Exclusives
-None of them move me. I have zero interest in Titanfall, Ryse, Forza, Halo, and Dead Rising. It is safe to say that I won't buy any of those games or franchise entries again. Deep Down and Infamous: SS are the only PS4 exclusives that interest me; everything else is multiplatform, which means toss up at this point. I absolutely love Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition, but now Minecraft will be available on PS4. I don't play many Indie games, but it's nice to see both consoles give indie devs more access. I already pay for Xbox LIVE, so paying for PS+ is no big deal. I didn't own a PS3 this gen, so that pay transition is not an issue for me.

Ultimately Microsoft alienated me at the reveal. I waited for E3 and didn't see anything to bring me back. It still irritates me because I love the Xbox 360 and the Xbox LIVE experience. I don't want to switch because I believe that Microsoft has a good service and console in the 360. But their push towards more multimedia focus and integration, coupled with Kinect and FPS syndrome as well as EA Sports syndrome are moves I do not accept as value for my gaming needs in a console. Lately I have been reconsidering my position, yet I cannot come to shake the feeling that PS4 is right for me this gen. While it is quite possible that Sony simply played a better marketing game and similar features as seen on the Xbox One will come down the pike, for now I feel the gaming value lies in multiplatform games and a focus on gaming as the Playstation 4's appeal. I hope that I am making the right decision, as I just don't see myself owning two consoles this gen. That may change, and I will be the first to admit it if it does. Thanks for letting me say my piece.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling". Dr_ Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#695_EclipsePosted 9/3/2013 11:35:21 PM
Reasons I won't get an Xbox one any time soon.

Their attempt to put incredibly anti consumer practices into place.

My CSR wheel having a 99% chance of not working. This was a wheel released just 2 years ago, specifically designed with FM4 in mind. And due to MS restriction on wheels and other peripherals, was the only real choice when it came to a good racing wheel.

Forza 5 is a rush job, and has made no real advancements beyond graphics and a few open wheel cars (there is even less cars over all than FM4). And won't be coming as a full game on disc, part of it is digital only. This isn't ignorable DLC, this is part of the base games career mode.

$100 more.

2x RRoD 1x Disc drive failure with my Xbox 360.

Reasons I'm getting a PS4.

PS+ has better benefits. (although I will miss my XBL, very used to it after 8 years of having it)

Ironically enough, my CSR that I bought to use with my 360(also works on PS3 and PC), has a high chance of being compatible with the Ps4.

More games that I want to check out, that aren't multiplats.

Didn't try to screw me with a bunch of anti consumer bull **** after I supported them for 8+ years (Xbox + Xbox360) - Granted I played more Ps2 than Xbox, the game count Xbox vs Ps2 really isn't vastly different. (something like 50 vs 30 games that I still own, where as with this gen I have 40+ 360 games vs 4 PS3 games).

More powerful console, that is easy to develop for.

Costs $100 less.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#7MicooliscoolPosted 9/4/2013 12:45:43 AM
Reasons I'm getting an XboxOne:
- Better exclusives - in my opinion - I've never had an interest in Killzone or Infamous and Knack looks terrible. However, I've always loved Forza and the Dead Rising series so for me personally the Xbox has the better games (let me once again state that this is my opinion).
- Cant stand PSN anymore - after enduring the PS3s below par online services - that included a hack that stopped the network entirely for months - I wanted a system that will have better Internet capabilities, although I believe that the PS4s PSN will be much improved, especially with more funding coming from PS+
- I want a change - I've been a Sony gamer for a decade now, owned and solely played the PS1, Ps2 and Ps3 and I've just wanted a change.

Although, whatever console anyone chooses to get come November, we will all be having a fantasitic time playing our wonderful consoles.
#8Forte_SoldadoPosted 9/4/2013 12:49:23 AM
CaIiber345 posted...

I am not buying Xbox One. Here is why.

Multimedia and Kinect
-I was planning on sticking with the Xbox brand until the reveal of Xbox One. Their brand messaging turned me off immediately, because I do not use my console for multimedia purposes and I could not stand their DRM and other policies. I play games on it, and maybe watch a DVD every now and then. While I accept that those features are there and are a valuable service for many people, the fact that so much time and effort has been put into it shows me Microsoft is aggressively pushing for a home entertainment device. While that is an understandable and acceptable business model for a company, it is a push in a direction that does not appeal to me. I know PS4 will offer many of the same services, but I like that they leave them in the background and push their console as a gaming machine first and foremost. As a gamer, that's the message and focus that I want from a console.

Same feelings, you have a way with words. The Microsoft press conference felt like a car salesman trying to sell me a car where the primary function is to Play music and use facebook while all I want is to drive.

- I cannot stand the Kinect; yes, I own one and tried it with a number of games. It does not interest me at all, both in terms of gaming and other functions. I readily acknowledge that from what we've seen, it is improved and an impressive piece of tech. However I do not need voice controls or motion gaming, nor do I want them. The focus on advertising also bothers me. As for the spying thing that so many people are on about, I do not deny its a possibility, but I personally am not swayed by that possibility when talking about Kinect. The fact that MS makes me own yet another Kinect, regardless of the fact that it can now be disabled, sours me on the console even more.

Again, same. When my elite xbox red ringed, the black one, not slim, I specifically waited a few extra weeks for Costco to get in a new shipment of Xboxes that didn't have the kinect bundled with it. (back when costco sold systems)

Ultimately Microsoft alienated me at the reveal. I waited for E3 and didn't see anything to bring me back. It still irritates me because I love the Xbox 360 and the Xbox LIVE experience. I don't want to switch because I believe that Microsoft has a good service and console in the 360. But their push towards more multimedia focus and integration, coupled with Kinect and FPS syndrome as well as EA Sports syndrome are moves I do not accept as value for my gaming needs in a console. Lately I have been reconsidering my position, yet I cannot come to shake the feeling that PS4 is right for me this gen. While it is quite possible that Sony simply played a better marketing game and similar features as seen on the Xbox One will come down the pike, for now I feel the gaming value lies in multiplatform games and a focus on gaming as the Playstation 4's appeal. I hope that I am making the right decision, as I just don't see myself owning two consoles this gen. That may change, and I will be the first to admit it if it does. Thanks for letting me say my piece.

We are not in the minority either. A lot of people feel this way, they just don't bother to come to sites like this and discuss it, but best believe they feel the same way. Not fanboyism, just good ol rationale reasoning.
---
#9Millertime660Posted 9/4/2013 12:49:35 AM
Micooliscool posted...
- Better exclusives - in my opinion - I've never had an interest in Killzone or Infamous and Knack looks terrible. However, I've always loved Forza and the Dead Rising series so for me personally the Xbox has the better games (let me once again state that this is my opinion).
- Cant stand PSN anymore - after enduring the PS3s below par online services - that included a hack that stopped the network entirely for months - I wanted a system that will have better Internet capabilities, although I believe that the PS4s PSN will be much improved, especially with more funding coming from PS+
- I want a change - I've been a Sony gamer for a decade now, owned and solely played the PS1, Ps2 and Ps3 and I've just wanted a change.

Although, whatever console anyone chooses to get come November, we will all be having a fantasitic time playing our wonderful consoles.

Right on! I also agree PSN will be much better.... but MS has been the pioneer of console based online gaming and they have not let me down once with xbox live.

Next Gen is going to rule no matter what direction you go!
#10Forte_SoldadoPosted 9/4/2013 12:53:28 AM
Micooliscool posted...

Yeah, I could equate Knack to Ryse for me, they both look like "crap" Ryse just looks dull and honestly like it should of been a launch title last gen. Knack is nothing groundbreaking or new. It's to childish for me. And honestly looks boring. I hate all racing games period. Except the crew looks pretty groundbreaking. Dat map.

As far as the online services go, I've only had XBL, I can't speak for PSN, but you get what you pay for, and I feel that PS+ will be worth it in the long run, and with there services being upgraded to begin with, I feel like if it is at least like XBL on the 360, then I have no complaints.
---