What's with all this CPU hullabaloo?

#1ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/3/2013 9:58:42 PM
I may or may not have only made this topic because I wanted to use that silly title.

But regardless, how much of a realistic increase are we really talking about? I'm not the most keen individual when it comes to the mechanical aspect of these consoles, but has that CPU clock boost really made that much of a difference? I guess the money question is: Is the PS4 still theoretically stronger?

Honestly, I don't have much of a clue.
#2Foxx3kPosted 9/3/2013 9:59:37 PM
more megahertz it's what the plants crave
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#3SolisPosted 9/4/2013 12:32:01 AM
It's just over a 9% increase, and of course it can have an impact on how games run. For example, a game that was previously dipping down to 55FPS could manage to keep at a solid 60FPS at all times, same for a game with dips down to 27FPS could end up managing a constant 30FPS instead, etc. This is of course dependent on the CPU being the bottleneck, if it was dropping to those framerates due to the GPU then of course this wouldn't have an affect on it.

The PS4 undoubtedly still has a more powerful GPU though, and I haven't seen much for concrete details of it's CPU clocks.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#4Millertime660Posted 9/4/2013 12:34:32 AM
good question! One thing is for certain.... I highly doubt heat is an issue to them if they keep boosting the CPU speed. So all those overheating fears can go out the window!
#5SakenKarasuPosted 9/4/2013 12:38:51 AM
It isn't a drastic increase. It'll render things slightly faster and may give it a few extra frames to games. And yes, on paper PS4 still has the slight upper hand because if its GPU.
#6NeoMonkPosted 9/4/2013 1:12:26 AM
.something of a hz is something worth bragging about.... I mean if the desperation isn't palpable lol
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#7EoinPosted 9/4/2013 1:18:14 AM
Despite being a smaller percentage increase, the GPU overclock was probably quite a bit more significant than this CPU overclock in terms of performance. It's very nice to have an increase, but it's not a game changer.

ImThe8thWonder posted...
Is the PS4 still theoretically stronger?

There's no need for the word "theoretically". By any remotely useful measurement of the term "powerful" as it might apply to games consoles, the PS4 is still more powerful. This may, however, mean that the Xbox One has a better CPU than the PS4 - the first area where the Xbox One could have any kind of clear, unambiguous advantage over the PS4. This does depend on the PS4 CPU clock speed though.

In the end, however it measures up to the PS4, the Xbox One is more powerful today than it was yesterday, and that's a good thing for everyone.
#8Millertime660Posted 9/4/2013 1:38:25 AM
NeoMonk posted...
.something of a hz is something worth bragging about.... I mean if the desperation isn't palpable lol

unless you have something insightful to say neomonk then please move along. this thread is not for you.
#9TBONE_OGPosted 9/4/2013 1:42:32 AM
Millertime660 posted...
NeoMonk posted...

unless you have something insightful to say neomonk then please move along. this thread is not for you.

This board is a better place when ignoring NeoMonk and his other account. I really do pity the boy's life. He trolls here all day long.
---
Always O.G.
#10YeomanlyPosted 9/4/2013 3:01:58 AM
When you add up SHAPE, faster CPU, and the other 14 extra silicon, 8GB Flash, CLOUD that ALL remove tasks away from the CPU/GPU, then XBox One seems the place to be next gen.

PS4 though can output prettier graphics but at a cost to sound and stuff like AI.

:D