So why is Microsoft ditching one of it's most revolutionary console innovations?

#1X1-4EverPosted 9/4/2013 1:57:13 AM
So a short while ago, my beloved and much-used backwards compatible PS3 just up and died. Yellow light of death and all that. Took it to a repair shop and they told me even the reflow tech wouldn't bring it back. So, since I hadn't assumed the console would just give up, I lost absolutely everything on it- my hundreds of hours of saves being the most irritating thing. And because Sony decided to be idiots when they designed the PS3, I can't just take the hard drive out, buy a new PS3 and put it in.

Which leads me to the topic. I have right here in my entertainment cabinet the XBox 360, and I was thinking to myself- "if this system dies on me, what will I do". Then it really sunk in- the way the 360 hard drive was designed, I would never have to worry about it! I could simply get another system and pop the hard drive onto it and be good to go.

No worries about "synching", no bothering with clouds. Just pop it and go. It really seems like a fantastically wonderful innovation, even if the device itself was kind of expensive.

So it makes me wonder- why in the world would Microsoft ditch that feature with the X1? Surely it seems like it was more of a positive than a negative in the long run- never having to lose a save, no matter what happens to one's console. But now, if my X1 dies (and they all eventually do), then am I in the same boat as when my PS3 crapped out?
#2ViryuPosted 9/4/2013 2:04:38 AM
Uhm... you can switch hard drives in your PS3. I did the same not long ago, I've switched my factory one to an ssd.
#3Millertime660Posted 9/4/2013 2:05:12 AM
well you mentioned the cloud and I think that is the main reason. That way you can access your content from anywhere and from any system. The removable HDD to me was great but this is next gen. Just stick a usb drive in and backup your files if you want.
#4X1-4Ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 2:09:29 AM
"Uhm... you can switch hard drives in your PS3."

Not to sound rude or anything like that, but it would be appreciated if you actually read the topic content before you posted a reply. Thanks!
#5Spetsnaz420Posted 9/4/2013 2:12:02 AM
Ummm yeah you can remove and backup all your games saves etc. You're simply misinformed
---
I don't conform to social convention
#6INEEDHELPWEE2Posted 9/4/2013 2:12:33 AM
The harddrives were fine, however. Didnt microsft say we would have unlimited cloud space? Just make sure to back up saves on the cloud, pretty much eliminates the need for the swappables.
#7ViryuPosted 9/4/2013 2:13:33 AM
X1-4Ever posted...
"Uhm... you can switch hard drives in your PS3."

Not to sound rude or anything like that, but it would be appreciated if you actually read the topic content before you posted a reply. Thanks!

It was about not being able to save the save files on the hard drive. So I said it was possible. Not to sound rude or anything like that, but it would be appreciated if you actually read the topic content before you posted a reply. Thanks!
#8X1-4Ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 2:23:46 AM
"It was about not being able to save the save files on the hard drive."

And again, I beg of you, please actually BOTHER TO READ THE TOPIC BEFORE YOU POST IN IT.

*sigh*

You see, ladies and gentlemen- this is why GameFAQs gets a bad reputation. Individuals bust their way into a topic, ignore the entire topic and proceed to mess all over themselves by making posts like the one I am responding to.

It's really rather sad. It honestly is.

Do I really have to completely restate the entire first post of the topic just because one single individual can't seem to get it through their skull that the innovation I was referring to was the ability to simply pop off a hard drive from a dead console (one that has died unexpectedly before one has had a chance to make a backup) and pop it onto a new console and just have it work?

Do I really have to do that? It seems like a profound waste of time- stepping backwards just because one person refuses to actually bother reading the original post.