There is no paywall

#111RyuuHou25Posted 9/5/2013 4:16:06 PM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
It's customers like you that Microsoft adores.

Seriously. The sheer amount of ignorance on display here by TC is astounding >.>
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#112RyuuHou25Posted 9/5/2013 4:58:28 PM(edited)
ilikehamandhalo posted...
Heres a tip, dont like paying a monthly sub to play LIVE with all your friends and the extras like having the ability to download and use APPs from the XBOX LIVE APP STORE, then get a freakin PC and stop wasting your tears and money.

If anyone is buying the xbox and paying for LIVE they shouldnt care about the apps, if your buying the Xbox1 to play offline and use apps, your an idiot and should have never been given any amount of money by anyone ever.

So in other words, you're now admitting there IS a paywall, and that this whole thread was pointless and just about boosting your ego and trolling. Gotcha.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#113RagnawindPosted 9/5/2013 4:26:00 PM(edited)
SkilzMC posted...
Heres a tip, dont like paying a monthly sub to play LIVE with all your friends and the extras like having the ability to download and use APPs from the XBOX LIVE APP STORE, then get a freakin PC and stop wasting your tears and money.

If anyone is buying the xbox and paying for LIVE they shouldnt care about the apps, if your buying the Xbox1 to play offline and use apps, your an idiot and should have never been given any amount of money by anyone ever.

Yeah it would be really dumb to buy an Xbox One to play offline and use apps, because you could be doing that for free on the PS4! Also at $100 cheaper because they don't package in a peripheral that most people have little to no interest in.

The problem with that logic is exclusives. Not everyone plays multi-platform games and not all Microsoft console exclusives are on PC without using illegal means, at least.
#114NewMoonShadowPosted 9/5/2013 4:39:10 PM
sec713 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
sec713 posted...

^^^Exactly^^^

Like I said earlier, nobody buys XBoxes primarily for non-gaming purposes. If they do, it means they're just into spending money on things they don't really need and probably have no issues spending more money on a Gold account to NOT play games with.

That doesn't justify anything.

Sure while it doesn't justify anything, it brings to light how stupid complaining about having to pay for apps is when the money's being collected and utilized in providing better online capabilities, smoother multiplayer matchmaking,

The ad revenue alone could pay for all of this. Charging for live with the kind of money they get from running ads from third-parties is just straight-up greed.

and paying developers to get things like DLC early or exclusively (Go ahead and cite the recent caveat of Duck Tales Remastered - the NES version was better anyway.).

This isn't a good thing. Microsoft is paying Publishers to delay things on competing systems. This is not good for gamers, in fact it's the opposite of good. The only one who benefits from this is Microsoft. It screws over anyone who doesn't own a Microsoft system, which is the entire point of why they're doing it. Why you're citing it as some kind of positive boon when it has absolutely no effect on your enjoyment of said content I don't know. You wouldn't get the content any later if it was also on the PlayStation. You would get it at the exact same time, and it would be exactly the same as it is.

It's the same bulls*** that cheated Wii U owners out of Rayman Legends back in f***ing February, because Microsoft is a b**** and refused to allow an XBox 360 version to be released unless it was a simultaneous release.

Apps are just a bonus and anyone who complains about having their arms twisted into paying for a Gold account to use apps that can be readily enjoyed for free elsewhere are MORONS.

The only morons are the idiots who are pushing blatantly consumer-unfriendly practices.
#115sec713Posted 9/6/2013 2:49:02 PM
*rolls eyes* (for the dense readers out there - the following is laden with extremely thick sarcasm)

So Microsoft should only take the exact amount of money they need to run Live with no bells or whistles from advertisers...

That's why a baker only sells their cookies for the exact amount that they need to buy sugar, flour, and the other raw ingredients that go into cookies, right? Because their goal as a business is to simply exist, never grow, and continue to do the same exact thing with zero improvements for the next 1000 years, right?

So how much does R&D cost? Couldn't something like that be subsidized with profits from Live subscriptions? Oh but nobody here cares about R&D, right? "Video games are exactly everything that they need to be already? Kinect? Stupid! Improved Matchmaking Protocols - Who needs 'em? Controller improvements? No! Controllers are perfect already!"

Whenever you morons open up a business, please make sure I'm the first to know. I would love to visit your store, where you give everything away for free hoping that another business' ads on the boxes you're using will pay for the cost of your entire business including rent, salaries, raw materials, computers, servers, software licenses, advertising, promotional events and giveaways.

Like I said, make sure I'm the first to know when you start up your business that doesn't cost money to run, because I want to visit and get my free stuff before it shuts down two weeks later.
---
Insert signature here.
#116NewMoonShadowPosted 9/7/2013 8:41:03 AM(edited)
sec713 posted...
*rolls eyes* (for the dense readers out there - the following is laden with extremely thick sarcasm)

So Microsoft should only take the exact amount of money they need to run Live with no bells or whistles from advertisers...

Ads alone are making MS way more than "the exact amount of money they need to run Live".

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising

That's why a baker only sells their cookies for the exact amount that they need to buy sugar, flour, and the other raw ingredients that go into cookies, right? Because their goal as a business is to simply exist, never grow, and continue to do the same exact thing with zero improvements for the next 1000 years, right?

So how much does R&D cost? Couldn't something like that be subsidized with profits from Live subscriptions? Oh but nobody here cares about R&D, right? "Video games are exactly everything that they need to be already? Kinect? Stupid! Improved Matchmaking Protocols - Who needs 'em? Controller improvements? No! Controllers are perfect already!"

This is where the money they make selling worthwhile products comes into play. You do realize Live isn't the only thing they charge for, right? They may be selling consoles at a loss in order to get them out the door, but I guarantee the same isn't true of games and accessories.

Also so that you can't miss it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising

Whenever you morons open up a business, please make sure I'm the first to know. I would love to visit your store, where you give everything away for free hoping that another business' ads on the boxes you're using will pay for the cost of your entire business including rent, salaries, raw materials, computers, servers, software licenses, advertising, promotional events and giveaways.

I don't think you quite understand just how much money Microsoft gets from those ads.

Like I said, make sure I'm the first to know when you start up your business that doesn't cost money to run, because I want to visit and get my free stuff before it shuts down two weeks later.

I also like how you didn't address the point that Microsoft paying for console exclusivity is an extremely bad thing.
#117ILikesCheesePosted 9/7/2013 8:45:33 AM
There is no paywall.

Except for:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669313

Xbox One is going to have multiple console features locked behind the paywall that is Xbox Live gold. To be exact, there are 81 total features that have to have a gold subscription to access.

Online Multiplayer
Party Chat
Video Chat
Matchmaking
SkyDrive/ Unlimited Cloud Storage
SmartMatch (improved version of matchmaking)
Game DVR – You have to pay Microsoft, so you can record footage of YOUR games & store it on the hard drive?
One Guide
Games With Gold – This is valid until Xbox One releases.
Amazon.com Instant Video
AOL On
AT&T Uverse
BLIP.TV
C|Net
CinemaNOW
Comedy Central: Stand-Up
Crackle
Crunchyroll
Dailymotion
Disney
EPIX
ESPN
Facebook
Flixter
Fox Broadcast
Gametrailers
Gamespot TV
HBO GO
Hulu Plus
IGN
iHeartRadio
Internet Explorer
Karaoke
Last.fm
Machinima
Manga Entertainment
MAXIM – GIGGIDY GIGGIDY GOO!
MLB.tv
MSN with MSNBC
MTV
Mustang Customizer
Muzu.TV
NBA Game Time
NBC News
Neon Alley
NETFLIX
NFL
NHL Game Center
Nick
OneBeat
Paramount Movies
Pizza Hut – Yup, you need a Gold Sub
PopcornFlix
Redbox Instant by Verizon
Revision3
Rhapsody
SkyGO
Slacker Radio
SnagFilms
Sony Pictures
Sports Picks
SyFy
Telemundo
TMZ
Toys “R” Us
Twitch.TV
Twitter
UFC On Xbox Live – You need a Gold subscription…to use ***Pay per View*** for UFC? You have to pay…to pay.
Uvideos
Verizon FIOS TV
Vevo
Vimeo
Vudu
WSJ Live
WWE
Xbox Music – Requires Xbox Music Pass, which is $100 A YEAR, but also requires GOLD to use on Xbox360? What?
Xbox Tournaments
Xfinity
Youtube

Just saying...

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#118DarthDitkaPosted 9/7/2013 9:03:31 AM
I've had xbox live gold for 8 straight years. Whats this paywall thing anyway?
---
XBOX: Shiftee Cent
#119DarthDitkaPosted 9/7/2013 9:07:27 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...
What's to "enjoy" about XBL gold???? I literally lol'd when you say you've enjoyed XBL gold. I've paid for the service since 2005, but never once have I enjoyed it.

So you paid like $7000 to hate a service? I dont know im confused.

I'm just saying I never enjoyed it. Like, it literally made me happy? No, it didn't. Not when I was getting the same services for free on PC. But I paid the money to play with friends. I always thought it was a scam and so did they.

How is it a scam? They say pay. You say yes or no? 'Merican way baby!!
---
XBOX: Shiftee Cent
#120DeimirPosted 9/7/2013 9:52:25 AM
No one complained about this "paywall" on Xbox, and everyone was delighted to pay for the service on 360 do to stable servers and all of sudden now that they dont let you access some apps its a huge deal? LMFAO, there is no paywall, you have to pay for services, this is the real world. I guess you expect a free system as well right?

/thread?
---
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1371011276