There is no paywall

#81_Elite_Bushido_Posted 9/4/2013 6:42:03 PM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Except if you didn't have Gold, you wouldn't be using netflix.....sooooo

Netflix hasn't been worth using for a year or 2 now anyway
---
I'm a PC gamer, I don't like leaving the house or accepting packages from an actual person.- Xeeh_Bitz
http://tinyurl.com/8eufxdl
#82mmelzer2004Posted 9/4/2013 7:10:09 PM(edited)
If you are paying to play your games online anyway, who cares about a paywall?

If you are wanting to play PS4 games online, you can just look at it as if you are paying to access the other features as well.

Regardless, if you don't play online, you have an argument... otherwise you are just arguing for no reason whatsoever.
---
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3)
#83pblimp360Posted 9/4/2013 7:45:22 PM
Lefty128k posted...
No, that's a dishonest restatement of the problem.

The problem is not having to pay for the services, the problem is that MS takes an undeserved cut.

GTFOH with this. Dishonest restatement? Seriously?

MS only "takes" what we as consumers give them, and their online service is top notch. Many, including myself feel that they are deserving of our money.

And how do you go about saying what they are or aren't entitled to?
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#84cpcjlc3Posted 9/4/2013 7:52:45 PM
Now I could be wrong, but I honestly don't remember this whole paywall issue even coming up until MS started reversing the policies that were so hated and the Sony fans needed something else to complain about. I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate issue for some, I'm saying it seems to have been blown up way bigger than it has been recently.
#85RagnawindPosted 9/4/2013 7:56:33 PM
cpcjlc3 posted...
Now I could be wrong, but I honestly don't remember this whole paywall issue even coming up until MS started reversing the policies that were so hated and the Sony fans needed something else to complain about. I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate issue for some, I'm saying it seems to have been blown up way bigger than it has been recently.

This has been a problem for at least half a decade. It just re-emerged with the reversals.

pblimp360 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

The problem is not having to pay for the services, the problem is that MS takes an undeserved cut.

MS only "takes" what we as consumers give them, and their online service is top notch. Many, including myself feel that they are deserving of our money.

The problem is most of the services behind the paywall have NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH MICROSOFT'S SERVERS. That means, they have no right to charge for those services as well. Their service makes 0 difference for those services.
#86HeavyLightPosted 9/4/2013 8:14:10 PM
yes there is no paywall
it's xbl gold
---
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
#87pblimp360Posted 9/4/2013 8:24:41 PM
Ragnawind posted...
The problem is most of the services behind the paywall have NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH MICROSOFT'S SERVERS. That means, they have no right to charge for those services as well. Their service makes 0 difference for those services.

And as I've already stated, I side with people who complain about that to a degree. The thing that you and others are overlooking is the business side of things.

MS, as Sony and Nintendo aren't in this for altruistic means. They all want to make money, and placing enticing things like Netflix and such behind the paywall is a sure way of increased revenue. It's a major part why the 360 has been so successful for them, and clearly Sony has learned that it's the way to go as well seeing as they've adopted a pay service.

Now obviously as far as consumers go, yeah this means we end up paying in the end if we so choose, but that's our choice. This "they have no right" statement is just silly.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#88RagnawindPosted 9/4/2013 9:03:26 PM
pblimp360 posted...
Ragnawind posted...

And as I've already stated, I side with people who complain about that to a degree. The thing that you and others are overlooking is the business side of things.

MS, as Sony and Nintendo aren't in this for altruistic means. They all want to make money, and placing enticing things like Netflix and such behind the paywall is a sure way of increased revenue. It's a major part why the 360 has been so successful for them, and clearly Sony has learned that it's the way to go as well seeing as they've adopted a pay service.

Now obviously as far as consumers go, yeah this means we end up paying in the end if we so choose, but that's our choice. This "they have no right" statement is just silly.

no it is NOT silly. Does Microsoft own Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc.? The answer is no. Do Sony or Nintendo own them?. The answer is no. Does Microsoft charge for them to be used? yes, though they are free to download. Do Sony or Nintendo charge to use them? no, and they are still free to download. Do you know why Sony and Nintendo do NOT put them behind their own pay services? Obviously not. Nintendo doesn't do it because they don't have a pay service. Sony doesn't do it because they don't own or host the services. The only things they should have behind their paywall are things that they personally own or host, just like Sony does. Most people don't even use Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc. on the X360, even now, and that is because they are free on Nintendo and Sony systems, tablets, PCs, smartphones, etc., aside from just their own subscription fees where applicable. The ONLY people who justify it are those who already pay for the service for multiplayer gaming. Not everyone plays multiplayer, though. They are just reducing the maximum amount of ways to use those services that DO NOT BELONG to them.
#89Lefty128kPosted 9/4/2013 9:19:37 PM
pblimp360 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Stop with the fake outrage already...seriously.

MS literally does nothing to earn it. Their online service is no more "top notch" than any other service. Peer to peer Halo, on your "top notch" network.

They aren't entitled, they can easily set it up like PC where you don't have to pay anything beyond your internet and Netflix's fees. Instead they put it behind a paywall to get a ransom fee from you.
#90SparkItUpPosted 9/4/2013 9:48:54 PM
ilikehamandhalo posted...
No one complained about this "paywall" on Xbox, and everyone was delighted to pay for the service on 360 do to stable servers and all of sudden now that they dont let you access some apps its a huge deal? LMFAO, there is no paywall, you have to pay for services, this is the real world. I guess you expect a free system as well right?

Not sure if you are serious....The 360 boards (those that were silver members with no intention of going Gold) were constantly crying about things such as Netflix and the other apps being behind the paywall...Personally, like you, I don't see the big deal...But to say people didn't complain about it before is just disingenuous
---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...