Let's REALLY be honest about what the Xbox One is (*mother of all posts*)

#1ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/4/2013 3:36:18 PM
For starters, I'd like to apologize to anyone who prefers the Xbox One. I am actually not against the XB1 or against the people who like it. None of what I will explain in this topic really makes much of a difference since it generally boils down to subjective preference. If you like it, then more power to you. I am not here to tell anyone what to get. It's actually a fine console in my eyes, save for a few details that do bother me.

Let's really be honest here. At this point, the XB1 is only the best console if you personally find the subjective benefits to be worth the extra money. There really is no groundbreaking objective or logical details that would make the XB1 seem better in any way than the competition, save for the multiplayer servers, maybe. But I'll get back to those servers later. Right now, I'll break up some of the major aspects of the console into separate sections, starting with the kinect 2.

But before I start writing down points, let me just talk about something regarding the fanbase. There are generally 3 types of people who like the XB1, or any platform, for that matter. Type A fans/consumers are people who genuinely like virtually every feature that the XB1 has to offer. They don't have any fanboyism driving what they like, they just coincidentally happen to actually have use for everything the XB1 has to offer. They like motion peripherals and motion games, they enjoy sports and TV integration, and much else. But this kind of person really is one in a million, since from experience, practically every XB1 fan out there happens to be a Type B fan.

Type B fans are actually more fans of the brand than they are of any particular device. Because they deeply appreciate this brand, they would already be willing to invest a lot of money to purchase a device with their preferred brand, no matter if the price matches the substance. Type B fans, though don't always admit it, try to stay overly optimistic about certain aspects of the platform that even they know wouldn't help them much at all. Given how they would already pay whatever is needed to own the device, anything potentially flawed that inflates the price wouldn't come off as being a big deal to them. Then there are Type C fans. Not to be mistaken for trolls or people who have a bias against the platform, Type C fans really do appreciate the brand, but do not hold enough respect for the brand or parent company to be able to overlook possible problems that they might have with the platform.

KINECT~ The kinect is only an advantage if you personally find it to be. From a technical standpoint, just about any action that the kinect is able to perform, a controller is also able to perform with probably the same level of efficiency, or better. Given how motion peripherals are not new to the gaming industry, nor are the kinect 2's possible functions shrouded in mystery, we are actually quite capable of understanding the potential that the device could have. It's not rocket science, the kinect will offer 2 main things: voice commands, and gesture input actions. It is very possible to accurately speculate how much influence this will have in the gaming industry, which if my educated guess is worth anything, I'd say not much. BTW: All of this is assuming it is 100% accurate.

Honestly, the kinect will not heavily impact the future of gaming unless if it obtains a strong casual following. AAA title devs know what most core gamers are interested in, and it's common knowledge that motion gaming is not popular among those core gamers. Unless if core gamers suddenly take interest in motion and voice gaming (unlikely), then AAA devs will not gamble by making a game that is too involved with it, unless if it is a casual game itself. If the devs won't be willing to experiment because gamers don't have a strong interest in gaming without the controller as cannon, then there probably won't be too much kinect implementation in AAA titles to begin with.

(DON'T COMMENT YET)
#2ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 3:36:31 PM
(Continued...)

Now comes the aspect of the personal preference. The kinect is not a cheap device, it is almost the price of the XB1 itself. The kinect is fairly superfluous as a whole. You could easily navigate your menus or give commands in games with the use of buttons, unless if the designers chose to make the controller counterintuitive, which I don't think is the case. Given how the kinect is likely the reason why the XB1 is $100 dollars more expensive, it is officially up to you if you think paying the extra money is worth the unneeded benefits that it has to offer. The only time it isn't superfluous is probably with dance or other kinds of motion games. Otherwise, the extras are really just fluff. If you don't mind paying extra for all that, then like I said, more power to you.

XBL GOLD VS PS+

I have owned both the PS3 and Xbox 360 for virtually this entire generation. I've used my Xbox as the main multiplayer console, while my PS3 is used mainly for media and single player experiences. I am not some fanboy who speaks without even having been a part of the Xbox experience. I think it is completely fair to say that a lot of the judgement between XBL and PSN comes solely from the fact that the Xbox 360 is the preferred console while PSN got hacked a little while back. A lot of judgement spawns from those two details, and then we have people making uneducated claims just because they're on the more popular side.

Probably the worst myth out there is that XBL has less lag with multiplayer games. In truth, practically all multiplayers were P2P, meaning that it had nothing to do with those two services. If servers were even brought into the picture, normally it was because those servers belonged to a company that isn't even involved with MS. Another myth or misconception is that the speed or fluidity of the UI had something to do with server connection strength. A lot of the fluidity issues that were in the PS3 were actually caused by the system's poor split for non-gaming related actions. That is also the same reason why the PS3 never had party chat. It didn't have enough RAM to include that feature.

Sometimes I hear claims of downloads failing on PSN, but I can't be too sure about that one. I personally never had downloading issues with my PS3, so maybe a lot of it could have been individual connection issues, but I can't make that statement with certainty. What we can highlight, however, was that PSN did run into hacker issues a little while back, which brought in a lot of bad press. Let's be mature and open-minded for a moment, here. People normally think that the hack conflict was a result of Sony having poor security, when in truth, none of us have enough information to state what exactly it was. Since the Pentagon has been hacked before, I think it's safe to say that no security measure is an absolute certainty. What if the only reason PSN got hacked instead of XBL was because the hackers decided to attack only PSN? What about other hidden variables that could have influenced the nature of the attack? We don't know, so it's unfair to think XBL truly holds superiority with something silly like that.

And even if we all agree that XBL was best, how can we be sure the same will apply for next gen? Microsoft may be a software company, but I didn't really see much benefit in XBL other than the console itself offering party chat in the UI. We don't know how well either services will truly play out until we get our hands on them. What we do know for now is that Playstation's service is catching up, and though there are a lot of minor differences, the major and important features will all be the same. The minor details all essentially become subjective variables themselves. Like, for example, I don't personally find TV or sports integration to be useful to me. Those minor details are subjective, they can't be used as an objective benefit in debate. Both have a good amount of extra things to offer.
(DON'T COMMENT YET)
#3ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 3:37:49 PM
(Continued...)

If there IS a clear and objective benefit XBL has over PSN/PS+ right now, it would be the online servers. That can be a very big deal, but once again, use an open mind. Don't act like the competition will not have servers for their online games as well. There will be more games with servers on Xbox, but Sony has used online servers for games before on the PS3, so let's not think all Playstation games will be P2P. The future might bring some interesting surprises. But for now, those servers remain a clear objective benefit, and one of the only true objective benefits.

THE CONTROLLER PREFERENCE

I think like with the topic of the services, the controllers are not exactly something we can properly judge right now without using both for at least one month straight. No, not 5 minutes at a booth, you need at least a good amount of time to properly judge anything, including the consoles themselves. Otherwise, excitement could get in the way. Plus, durability isn't something you can learn about from only a little bit of use.

I understand that the Xbox 360 controller was the most popular last gen, but that really isn't much of a factor when judging a completely different controller. YES, the XB1 controller and 360 controller are both very similar, but then again, virtually every modern controller is nowadays. Literally, the minor details are what make or break controllers for people, if you're not counting the platform bandwagon effect. I actually think both controllers are going to be pretty awesome, I don't see why they shouldn't. The dualshock 3 got the most bad rep this gen, but according to the press, it seems like they've definitely improved on the issues before, so at least that much seems true. I think both will be so good that the only deciding factor would be how your unique hands take to the small differences in shape. That makes this pretty much another subjective variable, if there aren't any surprise issues with either of them. The only thing I personally dislike about the XB1 controller is the fact that it still uses AA batteries, but that's preference, I guess. I do find the XB1 controller to be the prettiest, though.

XB1 IS NOT THE BEST CONSOLE

Whoa, whoa! Let me finish: It is not the best console, simply from an unbiased, objective standpoint. If we eliminate all subjective variables, the core details like price, power, and other obvious major benefits like servers are what form that statement. If you prefer the games, controller, and a bunch of other things on the XB1, then technically, that's the best console for you. Objective superiority usually has little to do with how much people enjoy their platforms. Otherwise, none of us would even bother buying a console in the first place. We'd all be playing on PC and laughing at the idea of a console at all. But we do care for those bells and whistles, that's why your opinion is king. Otherwise, pricepoint, power, basic functions/features, and solutions to major previous problems are all that really represent quality. I'd have to say that the PS4 has the edge when it comes to those objective benefits, even though I happen to like the XBL servers very much. It's just a bigger list on the PS4 side, really.

(DON'T COMMENT YET)
#4ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 3:39:03 PM
Darn, may have lost a section to this...one sec...
#5MarblesbunbunPosted 9/4/2013 3:39:18 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...

I'm enjoying the read so far.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#6jb08045Posted 9/4/2013 3:39:45 PM
i will not wait
---
---
Watch me set my 360 on fire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iPJKQPSwE
#7Thunder097Posted 9/4/2013 3:39:54 PM
Was I the only one who scroll to see how long the post was and decide if I should read the whole thing or not ?
#8TBONE_OGPosted 9/4/2013 3:41:18 PM
This topic is so damn sad! Holy hell man. Too much effort on something so trivial.

Stop the nonsense!
---
Always O.G.
#9zmousePosted 9/4/2013 3:41:25 PM
Thunder097 posted...
Was I the only one who scroll to see how long the post was and decide if I should read the whole thing or not ?

No, i'm not gonna read that.
#10ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 3:41:30 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...

I'm enjoying the read so far.

Thanks!

Well, it seems I have lost the last section. I guess I might have to add it in later :/