With 8th Gen Consoles, are games still considered being "Ported" to and from PCs

#1JirynPosted 9/4/2013 4:03:32 PM
Here me out here,
The 8th generation of consoles are the first time we'll see x86 architecture on a console.
Save for a slight difference in OS (specifically PS4), these Consoles are basically running on the same base hardware as a PC now.

So, are we really "porting" games over to or from pc now, or are we just optimizing for hardware?

The architecture and coding is basically the same, just a difference in specs and performance for the most part.

I say the later, we're finally using what people of the so called "Master Race" (and I use the term sarcastically) have always called consoles, weaker/lesser computers.

I don't think they are ports anymore, and we should see very little difference between the quality of release, no more bad ports like the games shown in this list http://youtu.be/o-1mIiD86BY since they are all basically the same architecture and code now.

Now, my only real hope is we'll see an end of additional log ins and other BS on the PC gaming end and I'll be content. (Grand Theft Auto 4 required Games for Windows Live login to save your game, and Social Club to aces online features, BloodDragon required Uplay login, etc etc)

So what are your thoughts?
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2Ramsus082Posted 9/4/2013 4:05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that the PC is still the target platform for game development, with the consoles getting their versions optimized there. Not sure if we'd call that a "port" anymore, but it's clear that the Master Race still has a reason to crack their whip.
#3Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 4:09:36 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
I'm pretty sure that the PC is still the target platform for game development, with the consoles getting their versions optimized there. Not sure if we'd call that a "port" anymore, but it's clear that the Master Race still has a reason to crack their whip.

Most games since the 7th Gen were console first, PC second. AAA games were developed for the consoles in mind, then quickly ported to the PC for a cash grab for the most part.

Many developers have even stated the 7th gen was holding them back in development.. but we'll see.
You can tell games developed natively for the PC or Console just by how they feel when you play them.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#4zmousePosted 9/4/2013 4:31:16 PM
Well games are(will always be) created on pcs so there essentially all ports.