Why aren't digital copies cheaper?

#1username1289Posted 9/5/2013 2:59:05 PM
I saw an interesting article on ign that said half of games sales are in digital form. Is convenience the only reason why people buy digital? Shouldn't the price be cheaper since your cutting out the middle man (best buy etc,) and because there is no packaging?

Isn't digital the future of gaming? So shouldn't it be cheaper? I personally never buy digital because its the same price and with a physical copy I have the option of trading.

Not sure what the math is, but even 10$ cheaper for a digital copy would entice me to buy. So anyone know why Sony/ms don't do this?
---
His gaze burning on the edge of our dreams
#2squarex8264Posted 9/5/2013 3:00:35 PM
Ever since I got more Games On Demand, I'm liking the idea of digital more and more. Being able to quickly launch any game in my library without having to go to my shelf and switch discs is actually quite nice.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#3SyphonFilterAddictPosted 9/5/2013 3:00:43 PM
Great question and we never get a good answer.
---
May 21, 2013 : RIP Xbox --- August 12, 2013 : Resurrected
#4Bikes-Posted 9/5/2013 3:00:53 PM
2 reasons
1. It would probably annoy retailers
2. They can get away with charging that much. This is most evident on origin for pc, EA's first party games being sold at 60$ despite being no middleman at all and 50$ being the norm for pc.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#5coltsfan4ever31Posted 9/5/2013 3:01:34 PM
Greed
---
---PSN:coltslover31
#6username1289(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 3:02:36 PM
squarex8264 posted...
Ever since I got more Games On Demand, I'm liking the idea of digital more and more. Being able to quickly launch any game in my library without having to go to my shelf and switch discs is actually quite nice.

Yes that is a great reason to buy digital as well.

Another reason is people wont ask to borrow a game and them never return it even if you ask.

C'mon y'all lower the price!!!!
---
His gaze burning on the edge of our dreams
#7BudWisenheimerPosted 9/5/2013 3:04:15 PM
I think Sony and MS up to this point have been terrified of pissing off retailers. Undercutting the price from a corporation like Wal-Mart might have been too ballsy for them. But I suspect the tide will turn in some way this generation. Nintendo has already fired a shot with Windwaker HD two weeks ahead of retailers.
#8scoobydoobydontPosted 9/5/2013 3:08:37 PM(edited)
Servers aren't free. Recouping development and advertising costs doesn't go away because there's no disc. Account/financial services for payment as well as increased customer support (which formerly partially fell to the retailer to deal with) aren't free. The costs are different in some regards, but not appreciably less. Packaging costs pennies, shipping in bulk isn't super expensive per unit either.

Also development costs are going up, not down. Maintaining the same RRP makes sense instead of passing the whopping $1 (if even) savings onto consumers which would earn them no goodwill and needlessly cost them revenue when many companies are shutting down.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#9MetroidFan9999Posted 9/5/2013 3:09:31 PM
Because hardware manufacturers have no competition on their actual console to provide cheaper digitial titles.
---
That's just, like...your opinion, man.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#10Limp_sugarPosted 9/5/2013 3:48:43 PM
Publishers are afraid to undercut retailers. Also some people are not cool with the idea of not really owning their games and will only go all digital if they are forced to.

It's as simple as that.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.