Why aren't digital copies cheaper?

#11The_NightwingPosted 9/5/2013 4:51:43 PM
Because the price needs to stay the same as retailers or else they may stop carrying their consoles, accessories, and games.
#12CaIiber345Posted 9/5/2013 4:53:03 PM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Because hardware manufacturers have no competition on their actual console to provide cheaper digitial titles.

^This.

There is no competition in a closed market like Xbox LIVE. People were yelling about Steam in support of digital distribution when Xbox One was originally revealed. Yeah, Steam isn't the only company offering games for sale; there are other companies doing the same, and Steam became a popular choice and began selling games at cheaper prices.

Without competition, MS won't sell games digitally at cheaper prices at release because they don't have competition to make it worth lowering prices. There simply isn't any competition to necessitate it.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#13regsantotomasPosted 9/5/2013 4:56:49 PM
Except in some cases, they already are.

Super Luigi U was available earlier and cheaper than its retail counterpart for the Wii U.

Some games are available below current MSRP on XBL.

Are ALL retail games going to be cheaper than retail on day one? No, but I do think that we will start seeing some creative marketing whether it's pre-downloading, special digital only promotions, or perhaps more flexible sharing.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#14NeoMonkPosted 9/5/2013 5:03:21 PM
Developers don't want to lose money and by that I mean Have slightly lower earnings and profits than previously expected. Other than that there's no reason.
With digital copies they know they're not getting that game resold, they know it'll force people to buy it on their own FROM THEM if they want a cheaper option or wait for the disc based used versions to make monetary sense to cheapos like myself who buy $20 used games a month after release.

So yeah other than greed there's no real reason why they can't give you a $50 digital copy of their game.
Matter effect they could even do an incentive service... Free DLC if you pay $60 for their digital crap.
But again... Greed
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#15CashewPosted 9/5/2013 5:03:41 PM
This is exactly what microsoft was going for until all the cry babies ruined it.. Wtf? Is this a troll topic? 4/10
---
My give a damn is busted.
#16Bikes-Posted 9/5/2013 5:06:09 PM
Cashew posted...
This is exactly what microsoft was going for until all the cry babies ruined it.. Wtf? Is this a troll topic? 4/10

They never confirmed prices would be lower, you would have to be incredibly naive to assume that they would lower the prices.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#17NeoMonkPosted 9/5/2013 5:08:17 PM
Bikes- posted...
Cashew posted...

They never confirmed prices would be lower, you would have to be incredibly naive to assume that they would lower the prices.

To be fair... (which I am not) Albert Penello did say they wanted to copy the Steam model in his interview @ PAX...
In theory that would mean Huge savings on games 6months or older during specific months of the year...
Obviously that's just speculation but ripping of that model would mean that's probably something they thought about.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#18Rambo220Posted 9/5/2013 5:48:42 PM
Its pretty much a 24 hour, fast gratification convenience fee. The time you save and the gas you save goes towards the digital copy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-microsoft-justifies-games-on-demand-prices
#19regsantotomasPosted 9/5/2013 5:51:29 PM
Rambo220 posted...
Its pretty much a 24 hour, fast gratification convenience fee. The time you save and the gas you save goes towards the digital copy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-microsoft-justifies-games-on-demand-prices

I think that time savings is undervalued. If I have convenience but save the time of having to pick up the game; that is a great incentive along with saving shelf space.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#20LotrMorgothPosted 9/5/2013 5:52:21 PM
i assumed because it would kill relationships with brick and mortar shops who sell video games

they would eventually lose a lot of business and would probably be unsupportive as console transitioned to more digital sales
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4