The days of game consoles are dead...

#1Jiggy101011Posted 9/6/2013 8:47:04 AM
And they have been replaced by media hubs that play video games. Is this such a bad thing though? I happen to enjoy being able to do multiple things on both my 360 and ps3 that aren't video game related. Just curious what everyones opinion is on where the future of gaming is going?
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2
PSN ID: F1REx
#2Exodus_PrimePosted 9/6/2013 8:47:33 AM
O-U-Y-A
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#3SilentS89Posted 9/6/2013 8:48:43 AM
Jiggy101011 posted...
Is this such a bad thing though?

Yes.

The more of the pie they give to non-gaming the less pie gaming gets.
#4Alnilam81Posted 9/6/2013 8:50:21 AM
SilentS89 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...

Yes.

Well the more people that buy the system the bigger the overall pie gets, meaning that's less of an issue.
#5eastofeastsidePosted 9/6/2013 8:51:16 AM
Consoles are dead, just look at the latest NPD quarterly revenue report where U.S. social and mobile revenues beat console software.

That is why Sony is behind the social curve with PS4 while MS has the true next gen console entertainment concept.
#6regsantotomasPosted 9/6/2013 8:51:19 AM
Jiggy101011 posted...
And they have been replaced by media hubs that play video games. Is this such a bad thing though? I happen to enjoy being able to do multiple things on both my 360 and ps3 that aren't video game related. Just curious what everyones opinion is on where the future of gaming is going?

I don't think it is - as long as the extra features don't detract from the quality of the gaming experience. I think the idea of a "gaming only" console is antiquated much like a phone that only makes calls. #unpopular_opinion
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#7Jiggy101011(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:56:06 AM
SilentS89 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...

Yes.

But how exactly does adding in features correlate to them taking gaming features away?
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2
PSN ID: F1REx
#8SoulTrapperPosted 9/6/2013 9:09:53 AM
Jiggy101011 posted...

But how exactly does adding in features correlate to them taking gaming features away?

It means money that could have been used on video games is being spend acquiring stuff like the NFL deal.

There is no real benefit in them expanding their target audience to people getting a console just to play video games.

It's almost as if they've forgotten what consoles were intended to do in the first place:
Pop in a disc and play a game, no hassle with installs or anything.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#9protools1983Posted 9/6/2013 9:12:19 AM
Alnilam81 posted...
SilentS89 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...

Yes.

Well the more people that buy the system the bigger the overall pie gets, meaning that's less of an issue.

Good god this logic is flawed. So we are all supposed to shell out the cash in the hopes the product gets better eventually? lol
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#10cpcjlc3Posted 9/6/2013 9:15:15 AM
To put it in perspective: My daughter got in trouble and I took her iPhone away from her and now she has a phone that only calls and text ( and it doesn't even have a keyboard). That is real life.

In gaming terms, I took away her Xbox One and gave her a PS4.