Since most games on Xbox 360 were P2P, why were we paying for Xbox live?

#121TheRealPhattyJPosted 9/6/2013 7:40:21 PM
bob15x posted...
ejay8320 posted...
Chewy, until there are some actual experience with both the PS4 and Xbox ones online gaming stating which is better is mere speculation.

Now you can make an educated prediction, but its still no way to know how good each is until both are out.

So stop claiming the online is better on Xbox one like its a fact...

\
it is a fair assumption. MS is the innovator when it comes to online and Sony is the follower. Even a sony fanboy has to agree to that. Sony was pulled into online by MS, probably kicking and screaming, but Sony has gone great strides.
But it has always been MS first when it came to online.

so it is a fair assumption that live will be better this gen at least that is guaranteed at the start of the generation. Sony will catch up, in fact they have no choice now that they are charging for the service.

So Microsoft copies the server infrastructure that Sony has had from day ONE on PSN with the PS3 and that's "innovation" to you???? I think you need to go back to vocabulary class, that's not what "innovation" means at all.
#122TheRealPhattyJPosted 9/6/2013 7:43:24 PM
ExampliaGratia posted...
lilj812 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...
ITT: Most games = more like 2 games

Was Halo, Gears of War, Forza, any of these games on dedicated servers??

Gears of war 3 had dedicated servers. But you should have known that before you decided to troll.

according to an October 2011 article on Gamespot it was found out that the "dedicated servers" were a "blast processing" "teh cloud" style marketing gimmick and not actual real servers at all.
#123ExempliGratiaPosted 9/6/2013 7:50:38 PM(edited)
TheRealPhattyJ posted...
ExampliaGratia posted...
lilj812 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...

Gears of war 3 had dedicated servers. But you should have known that before you decided to troll.

according to an October 2011 article on Gamespot it was found out that the "dedicated servers" were a "blast processing" "teh cloud" style marketing gimmick and not actual real servers at all.

According to an article in August 2011 on GameSpot they said that half life 3 is launching in 2015.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#124pigman2003Posted 9/6/2013 7:59:54 PM
Security, it still takes a lot of people to run the Xbox live online structure.
#125MasteroftheArtsPosted 9/6/2013 9:26:09 PM
TheRealPhattyJ posted...
ExampliaGratia posted...
lilj812 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...

First, it's interesting to note that you don't actually provide the source.

Secondly, who the hell cares what Gamespot thinks about dedicated servers? Does anyone care about that piece of **** website anymore?

Microsoft has rented out 300,000 dedicated servers for this next generation. If you think they're willing to spend that kind of money on a marketing gimmick, you're an idiot.

Lastly, in 2011? Even if we accept your ridiculous claim that a source exists from a terrible gaming publication, why should we care what some source said in 2011?
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#126iamdanthamanPosted 9/6/2013 11:39:24 PM
FOXSOLID posted...
TwistedxL3G3ND posted...
FOXSOLID posted...
TC you shouldn't even bother, I've tried to tell this already and like you, I was attacked and bombarded by false or irrelevant statements.

XBL never achieved higher speeds than PSN nor did it have more exclusive games with dedicated servers. Sony did, all for free. Fact is, XBL does not affect connection speeds online and it's silly to see how many people think it does. It's your Internet that provides those speeds.

PS+ also did very much pay for itself in free and discounted content. Nothing that XBL offers. They simply and arbitrarily make statements like "everyone knows its better" and it makes the debate boring and moot.

It's as though its a cult, severely brainwashed.

You point out that not a single flagship Xbox title had dedicated servers and get attacked. It's the anger behind the truth. You all paid for XBL for communication based fluff. That's it...all of which would have been possible on the PS3 had the ram set up been better and it would have been free as well. PS4 will now have all of that fluff and continue to keep it free while XBL will lock everything remotely network based behind a paywall. Never getting discounts or free content like PS+ does (at least not nearly as much).

It really is a case of brainwashed cult members.

Gears of War.
There I just proved you are a liar. As for discounts anyone can tell that you've never owned an Xbox 360 if you don't know we get a list of discounted items on a weekly basis, go to the 360 boards and look how long that list is and how much they're discounted for.
I don't even know why I bothered replying to you since you are such an obvious troll, but there you go.

Explain to me how you proved me to be a liar because you clearly are unable to read. I said the 360 didn't have MORE games with dedicated servers, which is true. You name the likely only game that did and somehow I'm a liar? Sounds consistent with the rest of this board's horrible lack of logic.

Really?
---
All your base are belong to us
#127iamdanthamanPosted 9/6/2013 11:46:08 PM
roboto_piloto posted...
iamdanthaman posted...
It's not just DL speeds. It's the overall reliability of the service. I do not have a PS3, but I have talked with a lot of PS3 users on the forums for COD and other shooters such as ME3, and while there are occasional problems with matchmaking and disconnections on 360, from what I understand it is much worse on PS3, to the point where some PS3 gamers either quit or bought the game for their 360 or PC to play MP on because it was so bad on PS3, which leads to the relatively small game populations for a lot of games on PS3.

This is why Multi-plats sell so much better on 360, not because they look better or anything else, it's because the online experience is much more reliable. This is also something I wouldn't expect to change just because Sony is now charging for online play, they still have to actually do a better job of programming their systems and invest in infrastructure to catch up to xbox live.

Lol. stuff happens in CoD but not with the frequency you try to make it appear.
If what you say is true NOBODY would be playing these games online on PS3.

IIRC, Black Ops is p2p on both PS3 and 360.

As I said, I don't own a PS3 so I don't know personally, but that is what I have been told. Also, I can't ever remember a time when I got disconnected from servers mid match in Halo or COD on Xbox live, and it only happens rarely in ME3, so if it happens enough for you to say "stuff happens in COD", then it is worse than on xbox live.
---
All your base are belong to us
#128Rdeal2Posted 9/7/2013 4:47:24 AM
You are paying for

Party Chat(which to me was worth the money on it's own)
A demo for every Xbla game and more demo's for retail games
A more reliable service
Tons of apps(they don't just create themselves)
Better match making
Gold only sales(in the course of year year i would earn the money i paid for live back in games i bought on sale)
#129crawdadPosted 9/7/2013 4:58:38 AM
Rdeal2 posted...
You are paying for

Party Chat(which to me was worth the money on it's own)
A demo for every Xbla game and more demo's for retail games
A more reliable service
Tons of apps(they don't just create themselves)
Better match making
Gold only sales(in the course of year year i would earn the money i paid for live back in games i bought on sale)

Pretty much all this.

The way I saw it, with the two competing services, in the end, you got what you paid for.

And ironically, PSN users NOW have to PAY to keep playing on P2P and XB1 players will be getting dedicated servers on the most popular games.

A message to PS4 players, if you don't want the XB1 and you're sick of PSN, go PC or bust.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#130Moe_YuePosted 9/7/2013 5:01:09 AM
lilj812 posted...
Since most games on Xbox 360 were P2P, why were we paying for Xbox live?

Because you would. It's that simple. Microsoft saw an opportunity to make billions from doing basically nothing, and they took it.