last gen console preorders

#1LotrMorgothPosted 9/6/2013 3:09:50 PM
are there any stats or analysis for how preorders for last gen console sales played out across the lifespan of the generation?
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#295_EclipsePosted 9/6/2013 4:46:22 PM
LotrMorgoth posted...
are there any stats or analysis for how preorders for last gen console sales played out across the lifespan of the generation?

I assume your fishing for someway to downplay the Ps4. So I'll just save you the failure.

Ps3 had no games for the first 2-3 years or so, and still caught the Xbox 360 in sales. Preorders were much lower for both back then as less people did preorders.

Both Xbox 360 and Ps3 maxed out their pre-order availability when they launched.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#3BruceLee1974Posted 9/6/2013 4:51:03 PM
All's I know is PS4 is the most preordered console of all time and XBox1 is up 200% from last gen. It will be probably hard to find numbers.
#4LotrMorgoth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 2:47:51 AM
95_Eclipse posted...
LotrMorgoth posted...

I assume your fishing for someway to downplay the Ps4. So I'll just save you the failure.

Ps3 had no games for the first 2-3 years or so, and still caught the Xbox 360 in sales. Preorders were much lower for both back then as less people did preorders.

Both Xbox 360 and Ps3 maxed out their pre-order availability when they launched.

gotta love arrogance. . . well thanks for info all the same

what about wii? i was just wondering if trends during the beginning of the generation seemed to hold constant over the course of it
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#5Brummie_lad123Posted 9/7/2013 2:52:29 AM
95_Eclipse posted...
LotrMorgoth posted...

That's not true, at least for the UK at least anyway, I worked at GAME back then, and you could easily walk in and buy a PS3 at launch, they never once sold out, in fact I think we had about 80-90 spare just in my store alone which was only a small store.

On the otherhand, you could not pick up a 360 anywhere, they completely sold out of pre-orders a few months in advance, and my store received around 50 spare units at launch, but we had a queue of around 150 people who did not have pre-orders so they went extremely fast.

I can't speak for the US though.
---
DS = PSP
XBL Gamertag = DarkLPmaster4
#6capnhowdy18Posted 9/7/2013 4:57:28 AM
95_Eclipse posted...

Thats one way to see it, THe other way to see it is to say Sony went from the PS2 where they had like 120 million units sold by 2006, compared to the xboxes 24million, to tieing the 360 who had a supposed 50% failure rate at launch. I believe both systems sit at around 77-78mil now?

I'm not saying the PS3 did or that there was no ups, but at least internally Sony has to consider this generation a loss. You don't give up that much market share and be happy about it. MS on the other hand, though had a few problems, can be very happy about this generation.

As for preorders. It is my understanding that both consoles are tracking much further ahead then their previous iteration. Sony said something like the waitlist was 1 million people, and MS has said a little bit ago that XboxOne is tracking ahead of 360.
#795_EclipsePosted 9/7/2013 10:19:21 AM
LotrMorgoth posted...

gotta love arrogance. . . well thanks for info all the same

what about wii? i was just wondering if trends during the beginning of the generation seemed to hold constant over the course of it

I don't know about the Wii honestly, but the Wii was an anomaly that got hooked into mainstream casuals that weren't actually gamers. Moms and **** that never gamed a day in their life were buying them. These aren't long term customers, as they won't buy the following console "just because it's a new console" as shown by the Wii U's initial sales which were extremely poor, considering the lack of competition for a "new" console at the time.

Btw, it's not "arrogance" its me being tired of people fishing for a way to downplay preorder numbers. None of us know for sure what's going to happen, but common sense dictates that the sales will follow the preorders when it comes to the Ps4 and XBO, these aren't consoles releasing with no games, they are both coming with games and have a good lineup to follow. They will both sell well, the PS4 is just going to sell better.

Brummie_lad123 posted...

That's not true, at least for the UK at least anyway, I worked at GAME back then, and you could easily walk in and buy a PS3 at launch, they never once sold out, in fact I think we had about 80-90 spare just in my store alone which was only a small store.

On the otherhand, you could not pick up a 360 anywhere, they completely sold out of pre-orders a few months in advance, and my store received around 50 spare units at launch, but we had a queue of around 150 people who did not have pre-orders so they went extremely fast.

I can't speak for the US though.

I was actually referring to the US, I should have specified that, sorry. US pre-orders were gone in like a few hours for the Ps3 and 360 (may be a slight exaggeration but you get the idea). But again, at that time, the number of pre-orders allowed to be taken were much lower than now.

Pre-ordering was no where near as common in 2005-6 as it is today. Back then people only pre-ordered Halo lol, now people pre-order Madden.
---
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#895_EclipsePosted 9/7/2013 10:21:33 AM(edited)
capnhowdy18 posted...

Thats one way to see it, THe other way to see it is to say Sony went from the PS2 where they had like 120 million units sold by 2006, compared to the xboxes 24million, to tieing the 360 who had a supposed 50% failure rate at launch. I believe both systems sit at around 77-78mil now?

I'm not saying the PS3 did or that there was no ups, but at least internally Sony has to consider this generation a loss. You don't give up that much market share and be happy about it. MS on the other hand, though had a few problems, can be very happy about this generation.

As for preorders. It is my understanding that both consoles are tracking much further ahead then their previous iteration. Sony said something like the waitlist was 1 million people, and MS has said a little bit ago that XboxOne is tracking ahead of 360.

Supposed? It definitely had the 50% failure rate. Boosted by MS incompetence on replacements at the time (basically you got refurbished garbage that was pretty much guaranteed to fail again)

Also, I'm not even sure how you came to this argument. I never said Sony didn't take a loss over all, what I said was even with 2-3 years of no games (which led to the loss), they still caught the Xbox in sales.

If you look at it subjectively, and view it as numbers only. Sony started to catch up when they started having games, and they caught up. After starting a year late.

Now they are launching at the same time (a week wont make a difference), PS4 is coming with games, and has a strong line up behind it. Along with the momentum of the Ps3 behind it. While Xbox has games as well, but has a fading 360's lack of momentum behind it, and the massive damage from E3 lingering among the minds of gamers.

Just based of that alone, the only logical conclusion is the PS4 will outsell the Xbox one. Does this mean the Xbox one will be a failure? Not at all. Does it mean MS will view it as one? Only MS and their share holders know the answer to that.

Side note : I have minimal experience with PS3, so I'm not going to argue about user interface and such, since I'm only really accustomed to the Xbox 360 and Xbox live. Which is why I'm only looking at it from a numbers perspective.
---
#9HENTAIDOJIPosted 9/7/2013 10:22:50 AM
Xbox 360 2.5-3 million preorders
PS4 over 1 million pre orders
Xbone "pre-selling faster than 360"
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#10BelberithPosted 9/7/2013 10:31:12 AM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
Xbox 360 2.5-3 million preorders
PS4 over 1 million pre orders
Xbone "pre-selling faster than 360"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch
It was less than 400,000 units, stop it.