Microsoft Disputes Notion PS4 is 30% More Powerful than Xbox One

#2195_EclipsePosted 9/6/2013 6:50:09 PM
Cosmic_Diabetic posted...
HeavyLight posted...
don't worry "specs don't matter"

who are you quoting? that has to be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard..

It was a MS employee : http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-bigwig-hardware-specs-don-t-matter-because-it-s-not-1990--1162653

They've been trying to downplay Ps4's power advantage the entire time (which as I said in my last post, only makes sense from their perspective)
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#22djw2005Posted 9/6/2013 6:51:30 PM
Cosmic_Diabetic posted...
HeavyLight posted...
don't worry "specs don't matter"

who are you quoting? that has to be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard..

Microsoft’s product planning manager Albert Penello.

“The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless,” he said. “Because this isn’t like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit.

“So the whole numbers game – yeah, I’ve been following it online and it’s like, we tried having that argument last time,” he said. “Do I want to talk about HDMI 1.3 or 1.4, it’s like ‘argh!’ It doesn’t matter."

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/28/xbox-product-planning-boss-says-hardware-analysis-between-consoles-is-meaningless/
#23djw2005Posted 9/6/2013 6:55:06 PM
In fairness, he later said:

“The guys who are building these machines (on both sides) are unbelievably talented and experts in their field. Nobody knows the specifics of how the machines are architected or if there may be bottlenecks in one system or accelerators in another that change the impact of the published specs.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/01/microsoft-exec-clarifies-statement-about-meaningless-ps4-xbox-one-specs/
#24DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/6/2013 6:59:31 PM(edited)
95_Eclipse posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
Doesn't seem like he wants you to just take his word for it. He is saying that average consumers are idiots and are easily fooled by numbers being thrown at them.

This is like the old days when people thought megahertz was everything. The bigger the number!

Average consumers will only take in what they can diggest and if someone says one number is bigger than the other, they won't take into consideration anything more than that.

The ending statement says people should wait and see for themselves which is probably the smartest thing to do.

But when the numbers along with everything else point to something together, then it's obviously true. As in, the PS4 is more powerful. And anyone that knows ANYTHING at all about hardware knows it. And that along with the fact that it's now super easy to develop for, leaves no room for anyone but idiots to debate it.

But I would never expect MS to admit that, they cost 100 dollars more, what the hell kind of sense would it make for them to say "Yeah, PS4 is more powerful", even if it is pure 100% unadulterated fact?

This isn't about the PS4 being more powerful. Its about the dumb 30% people are saying. How many % more powerful was the PS3? Because even the best looking games didn't come close to making the gap between original Xbox and PS2. Yet I had no trouble with PS2 graphics either. Launch games on Xbox One and PS4 look no different, unlike Xbox which launched which Halo.

We also don't know the exact configurations and how ESram plays out. You are making assumptions without any technical knowledge.

The most knowledgeable developer to speak out on this, btw, is Carmack(? the ID guy) and he did not believe in this silly 30% argument.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#25pblimp360Posted 9/6/2013 6:58:38 PM
TBONE_OG posted...
Love how the PS4 was 50% more powerful. Now it's down to 30%. Get real. Any power difference is null and moot.

Dem's fighting words for Sony boys. Be careful.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#2695_EclipsePosted 9/6/2013 7:01:36 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Doesn't seem like he wants you to just take his word for it. He is saying that average consumers are idiots and are easily fooled by numbers being thrown at them.

This is like the old days when people thought megahertz was everything. The bigger the number!

Average consumers will only take in what they can diggest and if someone says one number is bigger than the other, they won't take into consideration anything more than that.

The ending statement says people should wait and see for themselves which is probably the smartest thing to do.

But when the numbers along with everything else point to something together, then it's obviously true. As in, the PS4 is more powerful. And anyone that knows ANYTHING at all about hardware knows it. And that along with the fact that it's now super easy to develop for, leaves no room for anyone but idiots to debate it.

But I would never expect MS to admit that, they cost 100 dollars more, what the hell kind of sense would it make for them to say "Yeah, PS4 is more powerful", even if it is pure 100% unadulterated fact?

This isn't about the PS4 being more powerful. Its about the dumb 30% people are saying. How many % more powerful was the PS3? Because even the best looking games didn't come close to making the gap between original Xbox and PS2. Yet I had no trouble with PS2 graphics either. Launch games on Xbox One and PS4 look no different, unlike Xbox which launched which Halo.

We also don't know the exact configurations and how ESram plays out. You are making assumptions without any technical knowledge.

Your PS3 argument was defeated before you even made it.

And it's only 32 MB of ESram, that's going to run out really fast when you're comparing it to 5000-7000+ MB with close to the same speeds (assuming an OS usage of 1-3 GB).

Seriously, if at this point you're disputing the Ps4's advantage in power, there is an intelligence or common sense deficit.
---
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#27DEMONPANDA212Posted 9/6/2013 7:02:49 PM
raddicuss posted...
You guys need to remember to factor in the power of the cloud too. I'm thinkin it's about 13% stronger than the ps4 now.

You guys also need to remember that 69% of people online quote whatever number pops into there head first.
---
3DS (XL) 4854-6425-2855
3DS (Zelda) 2320-6650-1378
#28DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/6/2013 7:05:59 PM
Except this is the second time I've stated that my argument ISN'T that the PS4 has a power advantage. You are just grasping at straws. I was talking about the 30% being complete BS and bares no meaning on performance. Your silly comments about the ESRam already shows just how people like to pretend they know what they are talking about after googling something for like 5 minutes.

The PS3 argument was defeated because you said so? Good argument.

Not only do you attack me and just claim you are right, you attack me for arguments that I've now stated TWICE, I am not making. This is such a tired tactic from Sony Ponies who argue with me around here.

Step 1: Completely ignore what I say
Step 2: Make up something and pretend I said it.
Step 3: Say I am stupid for the things I never said.
Step 4: Reassured?
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#2995_EclipsePosted 9/6/2013 7:06:05 PM
DEMONPANDA212 posted...
raddicuss posted...
You guys need to remember to factor in the power of the cloud too. I'm thinkin it's about 13% stronger than the ps4 now.

You guys also need to remember that 69% of people online quote whatever number pops into there head first.

Numbers don't talk, so I never quote them o.o
---
#30AzaneAzerPosted 9/6/2013 7:07:55 PM
Remember when the first Xbox came out, and this argument was completely the opposite?