Is Microsoft too invested in Kinect?

#1ShadowHunterHQPosted 9/6/2013 8:49:58 PM
Microsoft seems dead set on making the Kinect a big deal but the general consesus on these boards is people don't want the thing. Do you think that maybe Microsoft invested too much money into developing the Kinect and can't take it as a loss. Like they will do anything to make it profitable and that's why it's being shoved down our throats. At least it seems that way to me, what do you think?
---
You know its been a good party if there's an open container of butter lying around
Gamer Tag: Penguin Justice
#2Foxx3kPosted 9/6/2013 9:06:26 PM
Microsoft knows that if the kinect is optional, no developer will ever use it. By forcing it to have a 100% attach rate, the market is inherently saturated with Kinect users. Developers cannot shoot themselves in the foot by developing for it.

They are making the play that:
1) With every user having a Kinect, developers will develop for it
2) Users may use a Kinect and like it, despite thinking they hate it

There's a saying in business that I'm probably butchering that's something along the lines of : "Consumers don't actually know what they want."
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#3lilj812Posted 9/6/2013 9:10:14 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Microsoft knows that if the kinect is optional, no developer will ever use it. By forcing it to have a 100% attach rate, the market is inherently saturated with Kinect users. Developers cannot shoot themselves in the foot by developing for it.

They are making the play that:
1) With every user having a Kinect, developers will develop for it
2) Users may use a Kinect and like it, despite thinking they hate it

There's a saying in business that I'm probably butchering that's something along the lines of : "Consumers don't actually know what they want."

Consumers do know what they want. When companies think they know what the consumer wants and gives them what they think they want, they usually get backlash.

The customer is always right!
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#4MasteroftheArtsPosted 9/6/2013 9:12:07 PM
Foxx3k posted...

Consumers are afraid of change and very slow to accept it and adapt. Sometimes they don't and sometimes they do.

I'm convinced by the end of this generation, motion sensing will be a huge factor in mainstream games. You won't be controlling characters directly, but very pertinent aspects of gameplay will depend on the Kinect. Obviously Microsoft believes this as well as they done an about-face on everything but the Kinect being mandatory.

The Kinect's abilities from a technological standpoint are unbelievable. The task is to translate that technology into unique and unobtrusive mechanics to amplify games.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#5SunDevil77Posted 9/6/2013 9:12:36 PM
Do you know how much money the first Kinect made?
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#6ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/6/2013 9:13:49 PM
They made it mandatory so that it will actually be implemented. However, since AAA devs know most core gamers still wouldn't appreciate motion gestures or using voice commands when trying to have a conversation with friends online, I highly doubt the kinect will get any serious, game-changing implementation at all. Maybe just a few superfluous actions so that we know it's there.

The only reason Microsoft is making this gamble with kinect is just to make the XB1 seem more unique. They most likely thought it would have too little luster without some sort of new catch, though I think they were completely out of touch with that kind of mentality. Now we have a device that nobody really asked for, trying to solve problems that weren't even problems to begin with, and raising the price of the console to a range most don't appreciate.

Besides the disgusting amount of enthusiasm some dedicated fans might have simply to defend the quality of their beloved console, I think it was a wrong move on MS's part.
#7Thewinner14Posted 9/6/2013 9:17:35 PM
Kinect isn't technically mandatory now though. It will still come packaged but you can disconnect and blend it if you want
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#8Foxx3kPosted 9/6/2013 9:18:18 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
They made it mandatory so that it will actually be implemented. However, since AAA devs know most core gamers still wouldn't appreciate motion gestures or using voice commands when trying to have a conversation with friends online, I highly doubt the kinect will get any serious, game-changing implementation at all. Maybe just a few superfluous actions so that we know it's there.

The only reason Microsoft is making this gamble with kinect is just to make the XB1 seem more unique. They most likely thought it would have too little luster without some sort of new catch, though I think they were completely out of touch with that kind of mentality. Now we have a device that nobody really asked for, trying to solve problems that weren't even problems to begin with, and raising the price of the console to a range most don't appreciate.

Besides the disgusting amount of enthusiasm some dedicated fans might have simply to defend the quality of their beloved console, I think it was a wrong move on MS's part.

The beauty of everybody having a Kinect is that it can be used in NOT serious dramatic ways.

Before games were either "Kinect Games" that used Kinect in horrible overpowering ways, or they were games that maybe had a little feature like "yell through the kinect to make enemies suspicious!"

Now we can meet somewhere in the middle.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#9ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/6/2013 9:26:09 PM
Foxx3k posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...

The beauty of everybody having a Kinect is that it can be used in NOT serious dramatic ways.

Before games were either "Kinect Games" that used Kinect in horrible overpowering ways, or they were games that maybe had a little feature like "yell through the kinect to make enemies suspicious!"

Now we can meet somewhere in the middle.

But at the added expense of roughly $100 dollars or more extra than the PS4. The kinect 2 costs almost as much as the XB1 does to produce. To some, a cheaper XB1 without kinect would have been the ideal model. Unless if you really make a big deal about small, superfluous actions like voice navigation, then it really doesn't make sense. Only the few casuals who enjoy motion gaming would receive a relevant benefit out of all this. Core gamers are definitely getting a bad deal because some designers wanted more originality.

Originality or unique changes are fine, but make sure they're at least very useful for all gaming groups, if you're going to make everyone buy them.
#10hakmiyaPosted 9/6/2013 9:32:42 PM
Thats exactly why they want to ram t down everyone throat. They pour so much funds into the development of the kinect they would be taking a loss if they gave consumers the option to purchase the console without one.

But I have a very strong feeling that within a year after launch there will be a kinect free bundle. There are still a lot people who wont be suckered into paying for a extra piece of hardware that they will never use, M$ wants their money too.