Smartglass is Dumb.

#1TimeShinigamiPosted 9/7/2013 8:52:02 AM
Anybody remember the VMU for the Dreamcast? Remember how it was used for nothing other than dumb gimmicks? Yeah. When they were designing the original Xbox, they even talked about how they did tests and surveys about whether or not to include a similar device (EGM, Xbox Reveal Issue), and they discovered 90% of people never even looked down at it. And now they've created smartglass.

I don't have a smartphone. I don't even want to own a cellphone, but circumstances, etc. I do have a tablet, received as a gift, and I hate this thing. It crashes constantly, and several of my favorite sites don't support it (such as gamefaqs, sometimes it constantly refreshes, other times the ads will make chrome crash). I don't wanna tote this thing around while playing games.

I really hope gamers with opinions similar to mine aren't punished for it. If I'm gonna blow half a grand on a console and then some games, I don't want to have to spend a bunch on another unnessacary, extremely expensive, device.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#2ElPolloDiablo87Posted 9/7/2013 8:53:41 AM
So something you've never even tried is dumb because your tablet sucks? smh...
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#3SnickleseedPosted 9/7/2013 8:53:47 AM
protip: smartglass is not required
---
i7 3770 | 8GB | Agility3 120GB SSD | 2TB HD | HD5850 | HX520w | CM Centurion 5
#4zerooo0Posted 9/7/2013 8:55:42 AM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...

---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#5DeadLock25Posted 9/7/2013 9:06:54 AM(edited)
Yeah phone calls are stupid because my phone company is unreliable and constantly drops calls.

Thats what you sound like TC. You have a terrible tablet, stop insulting an app you never used based on that fact alone.

Also, as someone said, you dont have to use it. So once you do try it (and you should, with a normal tablet, before making claims like that) and if you still think its worthless, you have every right to completely ignore it as it is not mandated in any games we know of so far (although I have a feeling that will change in a few years, in which case, take it up with the developers of the games and your terrible tablet)

Also, did you just compare a 1998, 48x32 LCD, accessory and its use/popularity at the time with the popularity of tablets today?
---
GT: DeadLock25
#6VoidBeyondPosted 9/7/2013 9:03:59 AM
zerooo0 posted...

---
GT: CynicalRaptor26//PSN: DuodecimKnight//PKMN Black2 FC: 2280 6133 3461
#7MrImpatient35Posted 9/7/2013 9:13:23 AM

---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#8Foxx3kPosted 9/7/2013 9:36:30 AM
I love "SmartGlass*" and I wish every game had it.

(* where SmartGlass can be used generically and not necessarily solely referring to Microsoft's implementation of second-screen technology which is sloppy and cumbersome at best)
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#9SunDevil77Posted 9/7/2013 9:37:06 AM
In this topic: technology hasn't evolved since the Dreamcast
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#10Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/7/2013 9:41:05 AM
VoidBeyond posted...
zerooo0 posted...

This. Smartglass is a solid peripheral.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.