If Dell charged you $50 a year to access the internet-

#1NewMoonShadowPosted 9/8/2013 4:22:11 PM
-on a PC you purchased from them, would you be so quick to just say "oh well, it's a service!"

Note Dell isn't actually providing you with internet service, you pay them just to be able to access the internet service you're already paying for on the computer you bought from them.
#2TravisCombsPosted 9/8/2013 4:23:13 PM
Not quite the same thing. Microsoft does provide a service. In your scenario, you're claiming Dell doesn't provide a service.
---
i5-760 @3.80GHz | 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | MSI GTX 660Ti | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | Antec 300 Illusion | Windows 7
#3Orange_ApplesPosted 9/8/2013 4:24:14 PM
if it was $50 a year to access the internet via satellite through dell, and Dell's service area was good enough I would do it. Pay $50 a year to access internet via wi-fi or lan and I still needed my own ISP I would not.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#4NewMoonShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 4:24:15 PM
TravisCombs posted...
Not quite the same thing. Microsoft does provide a service. In your scenario, you're claiming Dell doesn't provide a service.

MicroSoft provides some services. The problem is, a lot of the services that are part of the XBox Live Gold subscription are not their services, and they have no right to charge for access to them.
#5boysrus72Posted 9/8/2013 4:24:23 PM
They would never do this.

Microsoft has servers that need to be run, and it costs them money to run them. Dell doesn't have servers with the entire Internet to run.
---
Think about it.
#6NewMoonShadow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 4:26:58 PM(edited)
boysrus72 posted...

Microsoft has servers that need to be run, and it costs them money to run them. Dell doesn't have servers with the entire Internet to run.

Netflix and Hulu do not use Microsoft servers. Nor do a good portion of the apps/services available on the XBox One.
#7scoobydoobydontPosted 9/8/2013 4:28:14 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
-on a PC you purchased from them, would you be so quick to just say "oh well, it's a service!"

Note Dell isn't actually providing you with internet service, you pay them just to be able to access the internet service you're already paying for on the computer you bought from them.

http://i.minus.com/ih5YwU35u5LiW.gif
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#8VioletZer0Posted 9/8/2013 4:32:17 PM(edited)
TravisCombs posted...

Netflix, Hulu, Skype, those are totally Microsoft's service.

Fun fact; Literally the entire competition offers use of those services for free. Even the Vita.
#9SunDevil77Posted 9/8/2013 4:32:25 PM
Wait...why would you have a Dell?
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#10boysrus72Posted 9/8/2013 4:32:26 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
boysrus72 posted...

Netflix and Hulu do not use Microsoft servers. Nor do a good portion of the apps/services available on the XBox One.

You're right. I guess I didn't realize they charged you for that. It is complete an utter BS. However, I do think they have the right to charge for multiplayer.
---
Think about it.