If Dell charged you $50 a year to access the internet-

#31pblimp360Posted 9/9/2013 2:14:35 AM(edited)
boysrus72 posted...
Foxx3k posted...
Xbox Live provides a service. You may not find value in that service, but there is a service there.

I think that Microsoft should do more to encourage the apps behind their "pay wall" to be differentiated - ex, with party viewing in Netflix - but that's beside the point.

While it doesn't make it 'ok,' I don't think anybody is buying Xbox One to play Netflix or Hulu or whatever. If you want a device to do that, Roku is a much better choice. Also a much better choice than Ps4 or Ps3 or Xbox 360 or anything else.

It's a differentiator though. If someone wants a gaming system for solo play and wants to watch netflix, they'll probably go with the Wii U or PS4 instead of the Xbox One.

I love solo games, and I think the exact opposite, but then I have no issue with Xbox Live as a service because it's always been legitimately reliable and innovative.

This whole continued whining over anyone paying for something they deem unworthy needs to cease though and topics like this need to as well.

Stop worrying about why anyone else wants to do what they do with their money and you'll be doing better for yourself.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#32CaIiber345Posted 9/9/2013 2:21:44 AM
jakethenoob posted...
No because this isn't 2003 and no one buys computers made by Dell anymore.

I bought my wife a Dell laptop for Christmas last year. She loves it, it hasn't had any problems, and it suits her needs just fine. I'm also considering getting one.

So, what's wrong with Dell?
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#33AwayFromHerePosted 9/9/2013 2:45:49 AM
SilentS89 posted...
Fun fact:

Skype is paywalled on Xbone.

Skype is free on Vita.

Microsoft owns Skype.

This is hilarious.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#34MasteroftheArtsPosted 9/9/2013 2:47:45 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
jakethenoob posted...
No because this isn't 2003 and no one buys computers made by Dell anymore.

I bought my wife a Dell laptop for Christmas last year. She loves it, it hasn't had any problems, and it suits her needs just fine. I'm also considering getting one.

So, what's wrong with Dell?

Dell Computers are to good computers as Casio watches are to quality watches.

Personally, I don't pay for xbox live gold, so I don't really care what paywalls it has set up because they don't affect me, although I can see others complaining about them.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#35JGA1980Posted 9/9/2013 3:15:20 AM
Microsoft doesn't charge you to access the Internet on your Xbox.

You may have to pay a subscription for Gold and the services it provides, but to actually access the Internet, access the marketplace, download games, demos and DLC and to keep your games and console up to date with patches and updates, that's all free on a Silver account.

Microsoft even provide a free Ethernet cable with your console, so the notion that they charge you to access the Internet and you can't can enjoy the basic functions of a Internet enabled console without paying Microsoft a fee is patently untrue.

It's sad that this type of BS is still believed and some people keep their console and games offline, unpatched and unable to access DLC because they think they need to pay $50 in order to plug the Ethernet cable into their console and router... then again some people also don't know the difference between download and install and think they can't get GTA V because they can't do the 8GB mandatory install with their Internet plan (and they'll even be a cross section who think they'll need to pay Microsoft $50 before they're allowed to install a game).

The technological illiterate are like pawns in the Console War, used by fanboys to perpetuate myths about the rival console.
#36Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/9/2013 3:43:00 AM
VioletZer0 posted...
TravisCombs posted...
Not quite the same thing. Microsoft does provide a service. In your scenario, you're claiming Dell doesn't provide a service.

Netflix, Hulu, Skype, those are totally Microsoft's service.

Fun fact; Literally the entire competition offers use of those services for free. Even the Vita.

Skype is, ya putz.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#37rockyminPosted 9/9/2013 4:12:51 AM
JGA1980 posted...
Microsoft doesn't charge you to access the Internet on your Xbox.

You may have to pay a subscription for Gold and the services it provides, but to actually access the Internet, access the marketplace, download games, demos and DLC and to keep your games and console up to date with patches and updates, that's all free on a Silver account.

That's...really not "accessing the internet". Of course you wouldn't need Gold to access the store for games and DLC. And even MS wouldn't have the balls to charge for patches and updates.

Actually, IIRC, Internet Explorer on Xbox requires Gold to use, if so they really are charging you to "access the internet" on Xbox.
---
"It's funny how dumb you are" -Bill Cipher
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#38RawringAirPosted 9/9/2013 4:34:34 AM
why anyone would not have xbox live blows my mind
---
Best poster on GameFAQs
You are the most irritating GameFAQs poster, correct your sig. - Crack_Fox
#39embrandedonePosted 9/9/2013 7:53:31 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
boysrus72 posted...
They would never do this.

Microsoft has servers that need to be run, and it costs them money to run them. Dell doesn't have servers with the entire Internet to run.

Netflix and Hulu do not use Microsoft servers. Nor do a good portion of the apps/services available on the XBox One.

^
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board