XBOX ONE Availability "Should Feel A Lot Better Than It Did For XBOX 360"

#1SolnotPosted 9/8/2013 7:46:36 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/06/xbox-one-availability-should-feel-a-lot-better-than-it-did-for-360

Microsoft's Phil Spencer speaks out on how the company is preparing for the launch of Xbox One.

Microsoft Studios vice president Phil Spencer seems quite confident that the Xbox One launch will avoid many of the perils that existed during the Xbox 360 launch back in 2005.

Speaking with Game Informer recently, Spencer said, "Availability should feel a lot better than it did for 360. If people want to pick up more controllers and games, they'll be there. We feel really good about our pre-order number, and we're managing it through allocation rather than demand. He continued, [Pre-order] isn't the business. It's way more important to me what happens when people walk in the store. The business is selling consoles."

Addressing rumors that Microsoft was having trouble producing an adequate amount of units, Spencer continued, "You want people to be able to walk in the store and buy one on day one, so you're trying to manage the inventory that isn't pre-sold. It's not a yield problem, it's us trying to manage the hardware side, he elaborated. I want parents who don't think about pre-ordering electronics to be able to walk in and have a chance to find a box. There might be a line, but I don't want it to be that if you didn't pre-order in September, you can't get one. That doesn't feel like a great consumer experience."

This all comes on the heels of news that Microsoft is offering a free digital download of either FIFA 14 or Forza 5 for those in the UK who pre-ordered an Xbox One Day One addition.
#2Orange_ApplesPosted 9/8/2013 7:49:38 PM
"If people want to pick up more controllers and games, they'll be there."

Was there a shortage on controllers and games at 360's launch?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#3Hucast9Posted 9/8/2013 7:51:33 PM
Xbox launched in Novemeber of 2005. When I went to get mine on January 1 2006, they were still very hard to find at stores. I'd guess they started becoming easy to pick up around the end of January. Just thought i'd say that.
#4micheal82Posted 9/8/2013 7:53:23 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
"If people want to pick up more controllers and games, they'll be there."

Was there a shortage on controllers and games at 360's launch?

Some places yes, because people who pre-ordered the 360 also had controllers pre-ordered and didn't get their right away. It took a week for my controllers to come in but I couldn't do anything with them until iI got my 360 from another store on Christmas Eve. The one I had pre-ordered didn't show up until mid-Jan.
---
I can shoot a whole load into a guys face and they just brush it off. - Psquared34
#5DaCSSMastahPosted 9/8/2013 7:58:13 PM
Well when hardly anyone wants a Xbone... No duh supply will be there.
---
Graphic Designer since birth
PRETTY + SMART: It takes more than good looks to make a design effective
#6Hucast9Posted 9/8/2013 8:02:06 PM
DaCSSMastah posted...
Well when hardly anyone wants a Xbone... No duh supply will be there.

People want it, but the $100 price difference from PS4 to Xbox One makes people hesitate. This console would be sold out in all stores by now if the price was $399 instead of $499. I guarantee you that.
#7pblimp360Posted 9/8/2013 8:07:16 PM
Hucast9 posted...
Xbox launched in Novemeber of 2005. When I went to get mine on January 1 2006, they were still very hard to find at stores. I'd guess they started becoming easy to pick up around the end of January. Just thought i'd say that.

Yeah, it was out of stock everywhere until late January where I'm from.

And I think a lot of people have deluded themselves into believing all the negativity of the internet. People DO want this system, and it will likely sell very well.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#8segamaster316Posted 9/8/2013 8:47:21 PM
With their limited number of launch territories, they had better be able to cover preorders and still have units out there.
---
Who do you think you are, I am!
#9quickposterPosted 9/8/2013 8:57:23 PM
Hucast9 posted...
People want it, but the $100 price difference from PS4 to Xbox One makes people hesitate. This console would be sold out in all stores by now if the price was $399 instead of $499. I guarantee you that.

Sorry but I have to agree with that guy. Talk to people on the outside. Everybody I know who ever considered Xbox has left for PS4. Maybe there are people out there who changed their minds but they won't be in the majority I can tell you that.

The fact that Killzone is getting more pre-orders than every X1 exclusive makes me think the software is ready to bomb even harder.
#10Hucast9Posted 9/8/2013 9:31:52 PM
quickposter posted...
Hucast9 posted...

Sorry but I have to agree with that guy. Talk to people on the outside. Everybody I know who ever considered Xbox has left for PS4. Maybe there are people out there who changed their minds but they won't be in the majority I can tell you that.

The fact that Killzone is getting more pre-orders than every X1 exclusive makes me think the software is ready to bomb even harder.

What is the cause of that? It's the $100 price difference, and the false perception that you're getting more for less money when you buy PS4.