Is it true that the XBone's first commercial did not show any games?!

#81FernieODSTPosted 9/8/2013 11:47:25 PM
gameboybryce posted...
FinzFan4life posted...
Orange_Apples posted...
FinzFan4life posted...
Technically Playstations didn't either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdW1OuZ1U0

This one? That was a lot of game stuff at the end there.

They didn't "show" games throwing characters from games that except for killzone don't exist and are not in game form it doesn't count as showing games, yeah a lot of game stuff but not technically showing off games.

The Playstation brand is synonymous with gaming and everyone knows this. .

QFT. Even non-gamers that hear the word "Playstation" know that its a video game console. It's been like that for a long long time. They have always been about the games, and small additions like their TV contract for PS4 or PS eyetoy are fine, but they know thats not what their console is about. So they arent dumb enough to make the non-gaming elements as the promotional material.

Gamers know that Xbox plays games, but people unfamiliar with games and watching the first Xbox 1 ad wont know what exactly microsoft is trying to sell. I'm not bashing Microsoft, but their decisions on how they want the Xbox one to be viewed are questionable.
---
I dont like MW2, i dont play MW2, so i dont go on the boards. Why do people who hate reach and dont play it post on the boards?
GT- Xxx1337Pr05n1p3r420666Xxx
#82BudWisenheimerPosted 9/8/2013 11:48:09 PM
gameboybryce posted...
I think it's you who is feigning ignorance if you think gamers aren't ticked off about this. I'm not saying they're in an uproar like back at the announcement but this isn't something that they're appreciating either.

And like I said, Microsoft is overestimating the number of sports fans who don't play video games who will care enough about spending $500+ on a console that will allow them to do the same thing their other devices do for free. Your average sports fan isn't a video game fan too.

I'm completely and honestly incredulous as to why anyone who actually understands why this TV spot exists and why the media buyers picked that time slot ... would be genuinely ticked off. I really have a hard time believing it's a real reaction. We (here on the boards) have been targeted with gaming information for months. Some of us have even made fun of the TV features because we watch so little live TV. So why would it even mildly bump anyone here when MSFT chooses to advertise their NFL TV features to an NFL TV-watching audience ... separate from us? That's only logical.

I think these people probably don't actually exist. If you're telling me that they just cannot comprehend why MSFT would do this ... then that's a whole different category of person. I don't really have anything positive to say about them. Sorry.

#83Orange_ApplesPosted 9/8/2013 11:55:23 PM(edited)
gameboybryce posted...
Millertime660 posted...
Im also fairly certain MS did their research before airing the commercial to a specific demographic. Sounds like their marketing division would probably have a better understanding of the numbers than us.

It's not just people on gamefaqs. Go check the gaming sites and other forums and youtube. Everywhere people are disgruntled about it. Not outraged but a little peeved and uneasy.

Do we know how people on NFL forums feel about this? They're part of this equation too.

And MS is doing this to get people aware of the brand. I think what they should have done was make a commercial showing Microsoft products and how they can be integrated into NFL watching experience.

Show Xbox One with the TV apps, and how he skypes with his buddies, and on the other end of the skype chat show the guy tracking live stats on the Surface Tablet or something. Then it becomes, "Oh, Microsoft is doing all this cool stuff with the NFL and having an Xbox One and Surface tablet would be cool." Having it be an Xbox commercial kinda says, "You know that video game console we made, well we're branching away from that for other forms of entertainment."

And I said this back when XB1 was showing the reveal, I don't want to see someone else's fantasy stats while watching the game. That's just obnoxious. Put that stuff on the Surface and out of my way.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#84MrCheese4321Posted 9/8/2013 11:54:38 PM
lol at the translation "Ratchet and Crack"
---
Why go to the park and fly a kite, when you can just pop a pill?
#85CaIiber345Posted 9/9/2013 12:01:46 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...

"Why would that tick people off? Gamers get a gaming console obviously. All of us here know this part already. But now NFL fans watching the season opener have something to get excited about too. Are you sure this isn't just feigned outrage? I don't think gamers are actually this out of touch."

I'd like to respond with my opinion. I leave it here respectfully and without flaming anyone. Understand that I am an outspoken critic of Xbox One, not the people that support it.

I'm not outraged, but it does bother me a lot. Since the reveal, I feel like Microsoft's heavy push of multimedia use on the Xbox One will have a negative effect on gaming on the console overall. They have even tried to push the damn console as a justifiable small business expense.

I use my console to play games. That's it. No apps, no Internet, no Kinect. Maybe I'll watch a DVD now and then. As a gamer for thirty years, what am I supposed to think when the first TV spot for a new console is:

NFL

And then, the gaming that I've been shown is nothing but casual that appeals to the lowest common denominator. I understand that Microsoft is a business and that they want to install a Xbox One in as many homes as possible. That is a business strategy to make money, and the appeal of media functions aside from gaming is what they want to sell to the casual gamers and non-gamers. I get that, I really do. At the same time, I don't have to like it because to me it is a slippery slope that shows a focus and commitment to longterm goals away from games, like Kinect. Microsoft themselves have shown their arrogance when referencing core gamers. I feel like my business is no longer their priority because they think they already have it. They don't because of questionable policies and their attitude is starting to shift from confident because of a successful Xbox 360, to arrogant because of the Xbox 360's success.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#86BudWisenheimerPosted 9/9/2013 12:02:02 AM
gameboybryce posted...
What I'm saying is the amount of sports fans willing to drop $500 plus $60 for a sub because of Fantasy League Football integration is a lot less than Microsoft is banking on.

I know it's just anecdotal but the majority of people I know who are buying the Xbone soon after launch fit exactly the category you describe. A lot of them are ex-military. They have careers and are well-paid. And they love football season. They are too old to be dude-bros (but their kids are prime candidates). Several work at Siemens. Some work at Lockheed. And the others are in appliance manufacturing. This commercial wasn't "perfect" for them ... But it was in the ballpark (sorry to jump sports analogies).

MSFT will take anyone they can get. I see no rational reason for gamers to be ticked off about one TV ad when it's clear after months and months of being targeted by presentations at E3 Gamescom PAX Gamespot Expo etc. that this is indeed a gaming console that's central purpose is playing games.

The rest is gravy.

#87gameboybrycePosted 9/9/2013 12:02:12 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
gameboybryce posted...
I think it's you who is feigning ignorance if you think gamers aren't ticked off about this. I'm not saying they're in an uproar like back at the announcement but this isn't something that they're appreciating either.

And like I said, Microsoft is overestimating the number of sports fans who don't play video games who will care enough about spending $500+ on a console that will allow them to do the same thing their other devices do for free. Your average sports fan isn't a video game fan too.

I'm completely and honestly incredulous as to why anyone who actually understands why this TV spot exists and why the media buyers picked that time slot ... would be genuinely ticked off. I really have a hard time believing it's a real reaction. We (here on the boards) have been targeted with gaming information for months. Some of us have even made fun of the TV features because we watch so little live TV. So why would it even mildly bump anyone here when MSFT chooses to advertise their NFL TV features to an NFL TV-watching audience ... separate from us? That's only logical.

I think these people probably don't actually exist. If you're telling me that they just cannot comprehend why MSFT would do this ... then that's a whole different category of person. I don't really have anything positive to say about them. Sorry.

Go to Kotaku and read the comments on the article. Go to Gameinformer and read the comments on the article. Got to Gamespot. Go to youtube and look up BrokenGamez. I can list many more but you get my drift. You can tell yourself that these people don't exist outside of this board but I'm giving you places you can look for yourself to see what others are saying. So please don't say again that you don't believe it's true until you go and read for yourself.

@Oranges_Apples This reaction is strictly from the gamer community. And I understand exactly what Microsoft is trying to do. They're just idiots for thinking it's going to work as well as they hope it will. Thinking sports fans will care enough is just one misconception. Don't get me started on the Kinect and how Microsoft is gonna be in for a world of disappointment from that.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#88BudWisenheimerPosted 9/9/2013 12:10:27 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
And then, the gaming that I've been shown is nothing but casual that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I think this comment completely ignores the hours worth of Project Spark demonstrations at MSFT events and the incredibly high volume of video the developers have uploaded to twitch and elsewhere. Even if you aren't aware of all this information I don't think it's fair to say you haven't been shown this game. It's stunning what they've created. And it completely undermines any notion that one NFL TV spot is an indication that MSFT isn't focused on gaming for anyone other than casuals.

#89gameboybrycePosted 9/9/2013 12:12:52 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
gameboybryce posted...
What I'm saying is the amount of sports fans willing to drop $500 plus $60 for a sub because of Fantasy League Football integration is a lot less than Microsoft is banking on.

I know it's just anecdotal but the majority of people I know who are buying the Xbone soon after launch fit exactly the category you describe. A lot of them are ex-military. They have careers and are well-paid. And they love football season. They are too old to be dude-bros (but their kids are prime candidates). Several work at Siemens. Some work at Lockheed. And the others are in appliance manufacturing. This commercial wasn't "perfect" for them ... But it was in the ballpark (sorry to jump sports analogies).

MSFT will take anyone they can get. I see no rational reason for gamers to be ticked off about one TV ad when it's clear after months and months of being targeted by presentations at E3 Gamescom PAX Gamespot Expo etc. that this is indeed a gaming console that's central purpose is playing games.

The rest is gravy.

And my anecdote is my friends have started their own fantasy football league and out of the 16 of them 3 have gaming console and only 2 actively use them. I'm not denying that there are video game fans who are also sports fans. I'm saying the average sports fan is not a video game fan too. There's a difference. For reference it's like saying all poodles are dogs however, the average dog is not a poodle. Once you add sports fans who actively do Fantasy League Football (the main component Microsoft is pushing), who also use it on NFL.com, who are willing to spend $500+, your target market gets significantly smaller. By time the Xbox One comes out it'll be the middle of the season. No one who does Fantasy League Football who doesn't use NFL.com is going to switch over to it in the middle of the season. So to them those features are pointless. And trust me there are a lot of people who do FLF and don't use NFL.com.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#90BudWisenheimerPosted 9/9/2013 12:18:24 AM
gameboybryce posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
gameboybryce posted...

Go to Kotaku and read the comments on the article. Go to Gameinformer and read the comments on the article. Got to Gamespot. Go to youtube and look up BrokenGamez. I can list many more but you get my drift. You can tell yourself that these people don't exist outside of this board but I'm giving you places you can look for yourself to see what others are saying. So please don't say again that you don't believe it's true until you go and read for yourself.

@Oranges_Apples This reaction is strictly from the gamer community. And I understand exactly what Microsoft is trying to do. They're just idiots for thinking it's going to work as well as they hope it will. Thinking sports fans will care enough is just one misconception. Don't get me started on the Kinect and how Microsoft is gonna be in for a world of disappointment from that.

I'm not denying these posts and comments exist. I'm denying that anyone who actually understands how this all works is truly bothered in the slightest. Yes there are some uninformed people who slip through the cracks. I'm not referring to them. I'm referring to people who have been exposed to all of the televised marketing and gaming site reports on Xbone since May. For them ... this one NFL TV commercial is innocuous. If they claim otherwise I am sure they are either lying or they aren't being logical. This one commercial doesn't change the facts they already know: the Xbone is a game console that plays games.