Is it true that the XBone's first commercial did not show any games?!

#91Orange_ApplesPosted 9/8/2013 11:18:34 PM
After googling some NFL forums, I'm under the impression that NFL fans don't really care who is sponsoring the NFL, just that they can watch it. We'll see how well this campaign actually worked when we see MS' Q4 2013 sales report, assuming they separate XB1 and 360 unit sales.

I wonder how many of them think they can do these things with the Xbox 360... I know it said November 22 at the end of the ad, but people are stupid.

When I saw an ad for Star Trek Into Darkness on Amazon Instant Video on Friday, I went to the store to buy the DVD and found out it wasn't actually going to be out until the 10th.

Don't look at me like that. Everyone has their stupid moments every now and then.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#92BudWisenheimerPosted 9/8/2013 11:24:37 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
After googling some NFL forums, I'm under the impression that NFL fans don't really care who is sponsoring the NFL, just that they can watch it. We'll see how well this campaign actually worked when we see MS' Q4 2013 sales report, assuming they separate XB1 and 360 unit sales.

I wonder how many of them think they can do these things with the Xbox 360... I know it said November 22 at the end of the ad, but people are stupid.

When I saw an ad for Star Trek Into Darkness on Amazon Instant Video on Friday, I went to the store to buy the DVD and found out it wasn't actually going to be out until the 10th.

Don't look at me like that. Everyone has their stupid moments every now and then.

Hey I did the same thing when iTunes first started early releases for movies I wanted with better compression. It probably even read: "Early Release" and I missed it the first couple times.

#93Cornbread4lifePosted 9/8/2013 11:32:07 PM
I think since the commercial aired during the first football game of the year, it makes sense that they focused on the NFL related content. It's targeting. There were millions of football fans (and fantasy football fans) watching that game, and it's obvious that they'd want to market all the NFL features to those viewers. I'm sure they'll make a game-centric commercial when they advertise during things that aren't NFL games.

I've only seen the commercial while watching football. Has anyone seen this commercial while watching anything else?
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#94gameboybrycePosted 9/8/2013 11:32:56 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

I'm not denying these posts and comments exist. I'm denying that anyone who actually understands how this all works is truly bothered in the slightest. Yes there are some uninformed people who slip through the cracks. I'm not referring to them. I'm referring to people who have been exposed to all of the televised marketing and gaming site reports on Xbone since May. For them ... this one NFL TV commercial is innocuous. If they claim otherwise I am sure they are either lying or they aren't being logical. This one commercial doesn't change the facts they already know: the Xbone is a game console that plays games.

As one poster on Kotaku said "the Xbox One isn't a gaming console, it's a multimedia device, just like Microsoft said at their reveal." So it's perfectly reasonable for people to still be skeptical of Microsoft's focus. What Microsoft should have did is drop a TV spot one to two weeks ago detailing the games and announcing the release date killing two birds with one stone. Instead they chose this.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#95CaIiber345Posted 9/8/2013 11:49:18 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
CaIiber345 posted...
And then, the gaming that I've been shown is nothing but casual that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I think this comment completely ignores the hours worth of Project Spark demonstrations at MSFT events and the incredibly high volume of video the developers have uploaded to twitch and elsewhere. Even if you aren't aware of all this information I don't think it's fair to say you haven't been shown this game. It's stunning what they've created. And it completely undermines any notion that one NFL TV spot is an indication that MSFT isn't focused on gaming for anyone other than casuals.

You're oversimplifying the argument by selecting one small part of it. You also go on in another post to write:

"This one commercial doesn't change the facts they already know: the Xbone is a game console that plays games."

Um, yeah, we know it will play games. Project Spark looks unique and fun, but just like Knack, a charming game outside the Pew! Pew! Pew! mold does not a gaming-oriented console make. The point is that Microsoft's overall Xbox One business strategy is now split between gaming and the Kinect and multimedia. This means resources will be drawn into that as well. When the first thing the world sees of your console is "TV TV TV KINECT SPORTS EA KINECT TV EA EA COD SPORTS COD NFL KINECT!", and then the first commercial aired on television is "NFL SKYPE KINECT!", what do you really think a core gamer is going to think? Do you think soccer moms and casual COD players and Netflix users and Skype users were anxiously tuned into the reveal? The core gamer was watching that reveal, and that's what Microsoft showed us.

It is absolutely logical for them to air a commercial about the NFL aimed at NFL fans during a NFL game. But when it follows a trend of a mass marketing that has done nothing but push the Xbox One as a home multimedia device aimed at the largest possible install base, perhaps core gamers aren't going to be sold on that concept. And while PS4's launch lineup is lackluster at best, Xbox One's launch lineup is MS milking Halo and the CoD audience. You are a logical person by your posts, and I like to think that even if you disagree with what people like me and gameboybryce are saying, you can understand our reasons for saying it.
---
"There is a lot of middle ground between superhero powers and "Niko, let's go bowling." Dr_Mojo
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#96BudWisenheimerPosted 9/8/2013 11:49:53 PM
gameboybryce posted...
As one poster on Kotaku said "the Xbox One isn't a gaming console ..."

Right. But both you and I know that is complete nonsense. The Xbone is a gaming console. And it also other things. There is no reality where it is NOT a gaming console.

This is like the page-hit quote from a while back: "The Xbone was designed with advertising in mind." Yes. I also go to the grocery store with milk in mind. But that doesn't stop me from prioritizing and buying more important things like apples beer and charmin while I'm there.

We've been inundated with Xbone information every week since May. Let's not forget that the features/hardware reveal AND the games reveal a couple weeks later at E3 were truly the first nationally televised and paid commercials for this product.

This NFL ad is really nothing compared to those.

#97ZerabpPosted 9/8/2013 11:52:11 PM
It contained a game Football, however it did not include any video games...
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ
"Bloody wars are easier to survive than idiots with ballots. " Neal Boortz
#98BudWisenheimerPosted 9/8/2013 11:56:41 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
When the first thing the world sees of your console is "TV TV TV KINECT SPORTS EA KINECT TV EA EA COD SPORTS COD NFL KINECT!", and then the first commercial aired on television is "NFL SKYPE KINECT!", what do you really think a core gamer is going to think?

If they are logical and lucid they will think about the 90-minute televised event that was billed as (and delivered) "gamesgamesgames" and not forget to mention it when discussing this.

I do understand the points that both of you are making. I'm simply denying that there is any real emotion or reason for emotion over this commercial. Especially if you know and include the entire context.

#99gameboybrycePosted 9/9/2013 12:19:56 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
gameboybryce posted...
As one poster on Kotaku said "the Xbox One isn't a gaming console ..."

Right. But both you and I know that is complete nonsense. The Xbone is a gaming console. And it also other things. There is no reality where it is NOT a gaming console.

This is like the page-hit quote from a while back: "The Xbone was designed with advertising in mind." Yes. I also go to the grocery store with milk in mind. But that doesn't stop me from prioritizing and buying more important things like apples beer and charmin while I'm there.

We've been inundated with Xbone information every week since May. Let's not forget that the features/hardware reveal AND the games reveal a couple weeks later at E3 were truly the first nationally televised and paid commercials for this product.

This NFL ad is really nothing compared to those.

We've been bombarded with a majority of bad news every week since the reveal.

And in the words of Microsoft at the Xbox One reveal "Let me introduce you to the ultimate home entertainment device." Compared to Sony who called their console "the next generation in console gaming." One of those two sounds like their main priority is games. The other doesn't.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#100gameboybrycePosted 9/9/2013 12:21:25 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
CaIiber345 posted...
When the first thing the world sees of your console is "TV TV TV KINECT SPORTS EA KINECT TV EA EA COD SPORTS COD NFL KINECT!", and then the first commercial aired on television is "NFL SKYPE KINECT!", what do you really think a core gamer is going to think?

If they are logical and lucid they will think about the 90-minute televised event that was billed as (and delivered) "gamesgamesgames" and not forget to mention it when discussing this.

I do understand the points that both of you are making. I'm simply denying that there is any real emotion or reason for emotion over this commercial. Especially if you know and include the entire context.

And with that I think our conversation is over with. I refuse to debate with someone who denies himself reality.
---
LMAO