microsoft built the thing with advertising as #1 priority.........NUads is here!

#11axelfooley2k5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2013 8:30:51 AM
kinect the dots
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#12cbc72Posted 9/9/2013 8:45:59 AM
The way I read it, in short.

MS wants to,
1) have real time audio and video monitoring in order to alter ads in real time.
2) They are going to monitor Skype calls to deliver real time on screen ads or content based on the conversation.

Glad I can just unplug the stupid thing and leave it in the box.
---
You're doing it wrong.
http://tinyurl.com/lltosb2
#13KaiserWarriorPosted 9/9/2013 8:50:12 AM
Why would this be surprising? You paid for however many years of XBL service, Microsoft responded by spamming up your 360 dashboard with more advertising slots than game slots. Why would you be surprised at an even greater focus on ads?
#14MetroidFan9999Posted 9/9/2013 8:54:48 AM
XD

That Skype sounds like a real bonus now, huh guys? "Real time monitoring to deliver focused ads based on the conversation?"

Yeah this thing isn't a spybox, LOL.

Wow what a blatant disrespect to the consumer, I find it hilarious that people support this.
---
That's just, like...your opinion, man.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#15bob15xPosted 9/9/2013 9:14:31 AM
so when its a blog by some nobody about sony its disregarded as nothing but when its about microsoft it is all true.

he is just repeating the same old sony fanboy paranoia crap we already knew and already disregarded.

double standards people.
#16SoulTrapperPosted 9/9/2013 9:30:50 AM(edited)
bob15x posted...
so when its a blog by some nobody about sony its disregarded as nothing but when its about microsoft it is all true.

he is just repeating the same old sony fanboy paranoia crap we already knew and already disregarded.

double standards people.

The link here leads to a blog, the blog itself contains links to sources that aren't blogs, but actual articles:

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/18/microsofts-kinect-nuads-will-be-even-more-in-your-face-perhaps-for-the-better/

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/13/skype-rolls-out-conversation-ads-during-audio-calls/
---
PSN: El_Coon
#17SoulTrapperPosted 9/9/2013 9:40:07 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
XD

That Skype sounds like a real bonus now, huh guys? "Real time monitoring to deliver focused ads based on the conversation?"

Wow what a blatant disrespect to the consumer, I find it hilarious that people support this.

It's insane that people would be okay with MS listening in on their conversations.

I remember a month or two ago people were convinced they wouldn't do this because "why would they be interested in what you have to say?"
This basically confirms everything you do with the kinect is being recorded and stored in a file about you.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#18ACx7Posted 9/9/2013 9:50:50 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
MetroidFan9999 posted...
XD

It's insane that people would be okay with MS listening in on their conversations.

I remember a month or two ago people were convinced they wouldn't do this because "why would they be interested in what you have to say?"
This basically confirms everything you do with the kinect is being recorded and stored in a file about you.

It would cost Microsoft more to store every little piece of voice or video data from every Kinect in the world than they could ever hope to make off of the Xbox One...
#1982xenoPosted 9/9/2013 9:56:17 AM
ACx7 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
MetroidFan9999 posted...
XD

It would cost Microsoft more to store every little piece of voice or video data from every Kinect in the world than they could ever hope to make off of the Xbox One...

Yes of course, but they can easily store the decoded conversation results from Skype. I mention Pizza Hut? They bring me a Pizza Hut advertisement and store that query in their database for future reference.

Yeah sure, it doesn't sound bad...but you have no control on what keywords/subjects they can store.
---
Shwing
#20HypnoCooshPosted 9/9/2013 9:58:08 AM(edited)
This guys comment was spot on

"Microsoft’s intentions for this machine have been pretty clear cinse it’s unveiling; to anyone willing to look that is. They obviously envisioned the box, at least in part, as a way to beat Google- by offing highly sophisticated (if unethical) marketing data and interactive advertising to advertisers.

But it’s a flawed business model from the get go because it relies on to many things to work and they weren’t sneaky/smart enough to pull it off.

First; they have to have the internet. Not just internet for multiplayer. Always on internet. But consumers said no sale and they had to back peddle.

Next they have to have an always on kinect, But that violates privacy, and adds an extra $100+ to the price tag, and consumers are saying hell no and asking why about the price and forced inclusion now that it’s not needed.

And we haven’t even got into the need for cable, which is integral to X1 functioning for these purposes. But the cable company’s smartened up and said no (made their own version), which ruins the subsidized lower price I’m sure they were banking on, and customers will say no to paying for both cable and gold and continue to migrate toward netflix and similar streaming services not behind paywalls.

The goal of getting a cheap cable subsidized advertising spy box has not gone well for them. And now they’re left to rebrand a system made for an entirely different purpose and forced to fight a battle against a better designed more powerful system from a refreshingly gamer-centric and razor sharp Sony.

Good luck with that Microsoft, LOL

“I would of gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those darn kids”"
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~