microsoft built the thing with advertising as #1 priority.........NUads is here!

#101SoulTrapperPosted 9/10/2013 11:52:48 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...

Really? This is what you guys have been going crazy about? Some non-disruptive images in certain panels?

Oh not just that, that's just one quote from the interview.
The fact that they use "Designed with advertising in mind" as a sales pitch is what makes all of this so hilariously stupid.

http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/2013/06/28/xbox-one-dashboard-created-with-advertising-in-mind/

The article being discussed here is much worse: it confirms that kinect will be used to target ads towards you. Which means MS is storing data recorded by the kinect.

It also shows that you'll be getting ads during skype calls, so it's not unlikely they'll listen in and send ads according to what you are discussing. Which means they're even listening in on your conversations.

Now we already knew both of these things were happening, it's just that now we have actual confirmation.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#102Ramsus082Posted 9/10/2013 11:52:59 AM
I don't mind ads too much, but I don't want them in a service I already pay a premium for. That rubs me the wrong way, and I don't see a good justification for it from anybody other than "But...but, other companies do it, too!" which is a stupid, stupid rebuttal.
#103Sevi_neyPosted 9/10/2013 1:45:48 PM
Decimator11:

As long as the ads don't interrupt games or Netflix or whatever, they can easily be ignored and thus are a non-issue. If ads start encroaching into that territory, that's when they will become a cancer that must be struck down.

See, the thing you're not getting about this is, the more people are passive about it, the more intrusive it will become over time, because companies will pay MS for advertising space. The plan was (and still is) to literally open up a new advertisement venture that works on a long untapped, increasingly relevant medium. Not through billboard, magazine, TV, nor Internet, but Console. I feel it would be much better for gamer's to express dislike toward the advert shilling trend MS seems so intent on pushing right now, in order to reduce the presence ads will no doubt try to gain in the future of the dash UI, and other aspects of the console itself. Imagine unskippable commercials for Bounty toilet paper or Channel makeup that last for 20-30 seconds a pop during any given load screen and think about how annoying they are on YT already. All of that time will add up to hours wasted on damn dirty ads, for crap that people don't even need or want. Believe it or not, this is expressly the sort of interface MS has intended to normalize since XB1's announcement. This is part of the reason people are making such a "big deal" about XB1; all of these little things add up.

And for another point, did anyone else see the leaked video of the dashboard beta? If not, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cFaqMEtEBk

No ads in the Pins screen, nor in the Home Screen. The ads will likely be in the One's online stores, which is exactly where they belong.

Let's just call it "Alpha Dash" for now, because the console hasn't even launched, and the UI is capable of update, like any other high-tech system. I bet you more adds will appear at a regular rate within the coming year or two, that I can guarantee.
---
ads>television>Live>FPS>EA Sports>water-cooler>>>>>>>Games
= Xbox One
#104Decimator11Posted 9/10/2013 1:50:29 PM
I have no doubt there would be an absolutely vicious backlash at advertisements that actually interrupted gameplay. Hell, I'd be part of it. No one would take that sort of thing lying down. But there is no indication that anything of that magnitude is coming.

And it's been confirmed that the Home screen would have no ads on it for at least 3 months: http://gizmodo.com/the-good-news-about-xbox-one-that-microsoft-brushed-rig-513494087
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#105Sevi_neyPosted 9/10/2013 1:57:19 PM
Decimator11 posted...
I have no doubt there would be an absolutely vicious backlash at advertisements that actually interrupted gameplay. Hell, I'd be part of it. No one would take that sort of thing lying down. But there is no indication that anything of that magnitude is coming.

It would be easier to agree if they hadn't been so flip-floppy post reveal. I guess we'll just have to disagree here, because it's plainly obvious to myself that "that" magnitude is definitely what they're alluding to.
---
ads>television>Live>FPS>EA Sports>water-cooler>>>>>>>Games
= Xbox One
#106RedZakuPosted 9/10/2013 8:18:01 PM
Decimator11 posted...
RedZaku posted...
Decimator11 posted...
As long as the ads don't interrupt games or Netflix or whatever, they can easily be ignored and thus are a non-issue. If ads start encroaching into that territory, that's when they will become a cancer that must be struck down.

Okay, time out, explain to me how MONITORING MY SKYPE CALLS is not intrusive to me, just ya know take your time, and please explain how it is in no way intrusive in the part of MS to spy on my conversations to target advertising at me.

That's a totally different argument and you know it. I'm talking about dashboard ads.

Here's the thing, it's not a different argument because this is how MS will be getting the information to target those ads to me the consumer. They are intruding on my privacy to target advertising to me, so yes their ads are intrusive in the very literal sense.
---
-PSN: SeigZeon
Your logic fails more than the shields of the U. S. S. Enterprise.
#107DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/11/2013 8:46:01 AM
@Sevi_Ney

You are very bad at reading. Next time you reply to me, perhaps try and make sure that it has something to do with what I've said. Right now, you are flailing in this topic for no reason and on top of it, you make up BS about what peoples opinions are.

Who is this majority that hates ads? I don't hate ads. I don't hate ads in most places since they are often made entertaining or pertain to relevant products. The only time I hate it is when it gets in the way, which is what a COMMERCIAL is. I don't like having to stop watching a program to watch minutes worth of commercials. No such thing exists on Xbox 360 or is going to exist on Xbox One.

@SoulTrapper

This whole data collecting thing affects me how?

1)They are mining for what they think is relevant to me based on maybe things I say on skype and a combination of what I buy and stuff. Seems like I will have less terrible ads about things I don't like.
2)What is the actual fear here? That they have some kind of automated machine that reads how many times I say certain words? I don't see how this is a big issue or anything new. Whats far more effective is collecting data via facebook and other social media sites which can collect far more data and far more relevant data.

Don't tell me you think there is someone on the other end listening to every conversation you have to try and steal your children and bank account info...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#108SoulTrapperPosted 9/11/2013 9:06:28 AM

@SoulTrapper

1)They are mining for what they think is relevant to me based on maybe things I say on skype and a combination of what I buy and stuff. Seems like I will have less terrible ads about things I don't like.

2)What is the actual fear here? That they have some kind of automated machine that reads how many times I say certain words? I don't see how this is a big issue or anything new. Whats far more effective is collecting data via facebook and other social media sites which can collect far more data and far more relevant data.

Don't tell me you think there is someone on the other end listening to every conversation you have to try and steal your children and bank account info...

It affects you if you don't like a corporation gathering and selling data about you.

This of course leads to the old "But they're already doing that with email, phone calls etc" argument, which is true, but that doesn't make it okay for a company to start doing the same with a camera in your living room.
Could be that you're fine with that, I'm not.

1) The question should be: why would I let a company gather my private and personal data?
Just so that I could get ads targeted towards me? Ads I don't even want to have there in the first place?

You'd let a company gather phone calls and camera footage of you in your own private environment just so that you would get ads that bother you slightly less?

That's an incredibly dangerous way of thinking.

2) They have that machine, it scans for keywords.
But that also means that everything else said in that conversation has to be stored on their servers first as well.
It is new: it's footage and conversations live from your living room.
Facebook is nothing compared to what this can do: it can detect your every reaction, from your face movements to your bloodflow, when you watch commercials of play games.
They're basically in your living room.
That data is worth gold, much more than a "like" on facebook.

They do have people on the other end looking through files that have a number of or certain keywords:

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u-directs-agents-cover-program-used-investigate-091643729.html

And we all know Microsoft works with the government:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

So not only is Microsoft creating a file on you containing pretty much everything from your average weight and height, your facial features and what you like and dislike, the government is doing the exact same thing.

And I'm not okay with that.
I'm not okay with a corporation selling my private info, just so that I'd get slightly less annoying ads.
I'm not okay with the government having access to all this info, either.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#109TheRealBigRichPosted 9/11/2013 9:13:17 AM
I really have to see how these advertisements are implemented in the Xbox one before I pass any type of judgment. The fact that the Kinect can be disconnected should at least get rid of the spying, NSA conspiracy theorist but at this point I bet those people think just buying one would get you spied on. If the advertisement's is like it is on the 360 I truly don't think it is a problem for the fact that when I cut my 360 on I press one button and I am in the game. I don't notice the advertisement's are there unless Im using Netflix or something else and even then they don't stop me from doing what I want to do. No should they be there I would say No but are not stopping me from enjoying the system and if its the same thing with the X1 I will be fine.
#110DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/11/2013 9:25:31 AM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...

@SoulTrapper

It affects you if you don't like a corporation gathering and selling data about you.

This of course leads to the old "But they're already doing that with email, phone calls etc" argument, which is true, but that doesn't make it okay for a company to start doing the same with a camera in your living room.
Could be that you're fine with that, I'm not.

1) The question should be: why would I let a company gather my private and personal data?
Just so that I could get ads targeted towards me? Ads I don't even want to have there in the first place?

You'd let a company gather phone calls and camera footage of you in your own private environment just so that you would get ads that bother you slightly less?

That's an incredibly dangerous way of thinking.

2) They have that machine, it scans for keywords.
But that also means that everything else said in that conversation has to be stored on their servers first as well.
It is new: it's footage and conversations live from your living room.
Facebook is nothing compared to what this can do: it can detect your every reaction, from your face movements to your bloodflow, when you watch commercials of play games.
They're basically in your living room.
That data is worth gold, much more than a "like" on facebook.

They do have people on the other end looking through files that have a number of or certain keywords:

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u-directs-agents-cover-program-used-investigate-091643729.html

And we all know Microsoft works with the government:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

So not only is Microsoft creating a file on you containing pretty much everything from your average weight and height, your facial features and what you like and dislike, the government is doing the exact same thing.

And I'm not okay with that.
I'm not okay with a corporation selling my private info, just so that I'd get slightly less annoying ads.
I'm not okay with the government having access to all this info, either.

Thats up to you. You guys are blowing this into something its not. Fact is, you already release this information when you use a dozen other mundane mediums. They've already told you this happens so you can choose not to use this product. You think the government can't collect that kind of data about people in a billion different ways?

As for working with the government, no one can refuse them. Thats just how the US works. If Sony was asked to submit anything to the NSA they cannot refuse. It sounds like you need to move to another country.

Also, you can choose to use an Xbox and simply not use skype or Kinect. In fact, there is a rumour that you will be able to use Kinect and choose not to have these things shared as an option.