So why does MS insist on including Kinect, when there's hardly any Kinect game?

#51triple sPosted 9/10/2013 4:35:03 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
I think it's a really cool piece of technology with a lot of potential, especially now that it will have a 100% attach rate.

They'll create a Kinect-less sku sooner or later.

Even if they do, build a solid install base from the start.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#52A_Someone_ElsePosted 9/10/2013 10:02:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#53A_Someone_ElsePosted 9/10/2013 10:18:44 AM
I don't think Kinect is there to please customers.

I also believe they will NEVER release a bundle without Kinect.

I believe Kinect's advertising capabilities are the core of the X1.

As aggressively as they're fighting to persuade haters, I think they obviously know that a majority don't like or want Kinect. I think they're slimily pushing it on customers anyway because it earns huge ad revenue. Ads are a huge income source for the Xbox brand.

It's basically an advertising tool that can watch your reaction to ads, and bombard you with the type of ads your body responds to. They have patented technology for it to watch your eye movements and heart rate during ads, and even reward you if you watch enough ads. These kinds of technologies are used in "Targeted Advertisements".

As a standard business practice, they can also sell this biometric data to advertisers if the EULA allows it. It just does gimmicky "fun things" as a distraction to get into homes, and a big portion of gamers apparently don't even find it that fun. (As you pointed out, there also aren't generally many games for this kind of gimmick, which has been around for quite a while.) When you're not flailing around in front of a game, it can watch you and collect advertisement-related data to earn them big cash. A spot on Xbox Live advertising is also apparently incredibly expensive. I imagine advertisers will pay even more for targeted ads. Gamers must be quite a captive audience, with all that time in front of the screen.

An "always on" console would have connected ALL users to their ad service, which I think was the REAL reason for the initial stubborn policies. Now, you can unplug the Kinect, and you can probably opt out of the info-sharing, but they still force PURCHASE of Kinect. I think that's because targeted advertising is the heart of the console. Lots of gamers probably won't even be aware of these advertisement tools, let alone bother to find the data-sharing and opt out. Once you buy something, you likely want to use EVERY part to "get your money's worth". Therefore, the design encourages ignorant casuals to unknowingly pose for advertisement data.

Because of these things, I don't think they'll ever make an X1 bundle without Kinect. I think the targeted advertising IS the console. I think the way Xbox ads have grown more aggressive over time is a solid indication of this. I think this is just a new level of audacity in exploiting advertisements. (and charging YOU for the ad equipment, so they don't even have to subsidize it.)
#54MrImpatient35Posted 9/10/2013 10:57:17 AM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
I think it's a really cool piece of technology with a lot of potential, especially now that it will have a 100% attach rate.

^This. Also, what games make use of Kinect? Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct 3, Kinect Sports or whatever it's called, Ryse, etc. Doesn't seem like a waste to me.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#55kyncaniPosted 9/10/2013 5:03:11 PM
teehee23 posted...
Thank you, Microsoft, for Kinect 2.0.
We want it.
We need it.

Somehow I do not think people want an intrusive online camera with night vision in their living room.
#56Ramsus082Posted 9/10/2013 5:14:31 PM
So why does MS insist on including Kinect, when there's hardly any Kinect game?

Because they want you to buy it. In truth, there's no such thing as a killer-app for Kinect, and there never has been one. Even now, with it being a mandatory inclusion, there's still not a single piece of content that's won over the core gamer. Worse, the actual development support this console might lose on account of lower sales because of Kinect's inclusion. The XboxOne fanbase is currently being sustained on nothing more than promises from Microsoft of "what's to come" when there's a guaranteed install-base.
#57teehee23Posted 9/10/2013 5:15:27 PM
DarkestSouls posted...
teehee23 posted...
Sony is developing that Eye thingy for ps4 so the industry, not just Microsoft, believe there's a market for it.

Thank you, Microsoft, for Kinect 2.0.
We want it.
We need it.

Sony doesn't force it down our throat.

Nobody is forcing you to buy Xbox #1 with Kinect 2.0 either.
I believe Xbox #1 is for the Elite true hardcore oldschool gamer and will have the very best exclusives and every relevant multiplat.

I deserve the best.
That's why I'm buying Xbox #1.
---
If you can't afford Xbox #1 there's ps4 as a lesser alternative.
Microsoft is the Heart and Soul for true hardcore oldchool gaming.
#58DamnEvilDogPosted 9/10/2013 5:29:15 PM
It boils down to this, they built the system with Kinect, so you want the Xbox One then you get the Kinect.

If you do not want the Kinect then do not buy the console, they made it where at least you do not have to have it hooked up, so if you REALLY want to play the games on Xbox One then leave the Kinect in the box.

I realize that some people do not want it, but it's there and you will have to just deal with getting it or not, the PS4 will have most of the same games so you won't be missing out too much.
#59werkz_destroyzPosted 9/10/2013 5:30:19 PM
i Skype with my brother overseas while hes in the army.so it would be nice to get Skype calls on my tv..or make Skype calls with the family talking to him on my 60 inch instead of upstairs on my pc in my room...

that alone is worth it. its my money and we all spend it in different ways.
---
Gt: werkz destroyz
#60regsantotomasPosted 9/10/2013 5:33:24 PM
werkz_destroyz posted...
i Skype with my brother overseas while hes in the army.so it would be nice to get Skype calls on my tv..or make Skype calls with the family talking to him on my 60 inch instead of upstairs on my pc in my room...

that alone is worth it. its my money and we all spend it in different ways.

I'm with you. When I travel, I like chatting with my family and talking to them in the living room is much better than on a laptop or smart phone/tablet.

As I've said before, Kinect isn't only for games and adds a lot of inherent value to a variety of potential consumers.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego