Why do people avoid games that they claim are "kiddy"?

#1xXVongolaRebornPosted 9/10/2013 3:03:14 AM
I've been noticing this a lot around here, and I just want to know what the general consensus is. I've been seeing people downing games such as Mario and Kingdom Hearts for being kiddy, and even going so far as to rage when a game they deem as "kiddy" is released for their console of choice. No matter how good the game may or may not be.

How do you guys feel about this? I feel that avoiding something because you feel that you're too "mature" to play it is the same as saying being able to drink makes you an adult. Is that how we classify maturity now? By pointing at people and saying "Ha! I can't believe you play that! It's so childish!"

Thoughts?
---
PSN = xXGearSecond XBL= ILNI x iGear II
Steam = Red Hawk
#2LordAlistairPosted 9/10/2013 3:12:38 AM
The problem is people tend to view games as for children or adults, and don't realize a game can be made for both. They assume any game that is is just meant for kids.

There are games meant only for kids, but most of it is that learning-based edutainment crap. Stuff like Mario and Pokemon is for everyone. And the people who think otherwise are just denying themselves great games.
---
http://www.zeldaeternity.com/2011/05/you-might-be-a-zelda-hipster/
#3RawringAirPosted 9/10/2013 3:14:48 AM
I'm 21 and will be buying Pokemon X/Y when its released :)
---
Best poster on GameFAQs
You are the most irritating GameFAQs poster, correct your sig. - Crack_Fox
#4FoppePosted 9/10/2013 3:17:18 AM
Most of them are kids that worry about their friends calling them kiddy, so they can't support any game that's not rated M.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#5SoulTrapperPosted 9/10/2013 3:25:46 AM
Because they're insecure teenagers trying to figure out their place in this world.

Once they reach the phase after that, when they realize it doesn't matter as long as it makes you happy, they stop saying these sort of things.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#6xXVongolaReborn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:35:13 AM
LordAlistair posted...
The problem is people tend to view games as for children or adults, and don't realize a game can be made for both. They assume any game that is is just meant for kids.

There are games meant only for kids, but most of it is that learning-based edutainment crap. Stuff like Mario and Pokemon is for everyone. And the people who think otherwise are just denying themselves great games.

Oddly enough, that's where most of the hate comes from. They see a new Mario or Pokemon is releasing, and then they use those games to say the system they're releasing on is childish. Which is funny to me, as like you said these games are usually well made.

RawringAir posted...
I'm 21 and will be buying Pokemon X/Y when its released :)

Same, I need to get a XL though. Normal 3DS is too small for my hands. :(

Foppe posted...
Most of them are kids that worry about their friends calling them kiddy, so they can't support any game that's not rated M.

SoulTrapper posted...
Because they're insecure teenagers trying to figure out their place in this world.

Once they reach the phase after that, when they realize it doesn't matter as long as it makes you happy, they stop saying these sort of things.

As much as I want to believe that, I've seen a shocking number of so called adults on this site acting this way. They can't all be lying about their age.

At least I hope they aren't.
---
PSN = xXGearSecond XBL= ILNI x iGear II
Steam = Red Hawk
#7FoppePosted 9/10/2013 3:39:48 AM
Underage kids already lie about they age when they create a account here, so why stopping there?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#8JGA1980Posted 9/10/2013 4:12:12 AM
So called "kiddy" games like Mario have never really appealed to me, even when I was a child.

I grew up gaming on the ZX Spectrum and Amiga, so I was used to a more diverse and complex range of games than the offerings of Nintendo and their ilk, which, when I played them at friend's houses, just struck me as kind of basic and boring in comparison to what I had at home.
#9sexbonePosted 9/10/2013 4:13:25 AM
because ...
they want to be cool, lol
---
sexbox one by micro&soft : always on, always connected, always watching, doesn't do any 180.voice command : sexbox turn on, sexbox watch AV, sexbox my home.
#10SoulTrapperPosted 9/10/2013 4:16:56 AM
xXVongolaReborn posted...

As much as I want to believe that, I've seen a shocking number of so called adults on this site acting this way. They can't all be lying about their age.

At least I hope they aren't.

They're probably still trying to find their place in the world and condemn everything that doesn't fit into what is generally deemed "acceptable" by the majority.
---
PSN: El_Coon