Why do people avoid games that they claim are "kiddy"?

#31Lefty128kPosted 9/10/2013 5:05:57 PM
Avirosb posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Avirosb posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Being animated in and of itself does not make it children's fare.

The content makes it children's or adult fare. Rainbow Bright for instance, contrasted with something like Heavy Metal.
What about children's cartoons that explores adult themes?

Those are still kids cartoons. You admit it by saying "children's cartoons".

My point being; not all things meant for children are necessarily childish.
Most Pixar movies for example, are enjoyed by grown-ups as well as children.

Well, here's my point.

One end of the scale, purely children's media.
The other end, purely adult media.

Where does the media you are describing go? I mean we could sit here all day and describe how this or that cartoon or movie or game has hidden adult meaning or not. Instead of wasting that time where does it go overall? Closer to the kids side or the adult side?

Mario and friends don't end up anywhere near the adult side.

And still waiting for someone to describe exactly how Mario and Pokemon are for adults.
#32Orange_ApplesPosted 9/10/2013 5:14:26 PM
http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=032910

That's pretty much how it goes.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#33billsfanno1Posted 9/10/2013 5:22:56 PM
Funny thing is that in the days of Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, Disney games were hardcore games for their top notch graphics and difficulty. Surely many people on this board cut their teeth on Jungle Book, Lion King, and Mickey.
#34sworderPosted 9/10/2013 5:26:21 PM
Lefty128k posted...
Well, here's my point.

Where does the media you are describing go? I mean we could sit here all day and describe how this or that cartoon or movie or game has hidden adult meaning or not. Instead of wasting that time where does it go overall? Closer to the kids side or the adult side?

And still waiting for someone to describe exactly how Mario and Pokemon are for adults.

It's not black and white as you make it out to be

Mario and Pokemon aren't just for adults, just like they aren't just for kids. They are for everyone
#35Top_BlokePosted 9/10/2013 5:38:16 PM
Nothing wrong with simple fun games with simple mechanics and a rewarding system.

I think you'll find people most people claiming 'kiddy' games aren't good are insecure teenagers who need to look 'cool' having played the latest MA game because that's what mature people do.

We all went through it at some stage.
#36RaziemPosted 9/10/2013 5:43:51 PM
Kid Friendly =/= For Kids
#37SyphonFilterAddictPosted 9/10/2013 7:14:15 PM
Because these are the games that I played when I was a kid. I'm an adult now. Simple answer really.
---
May 21, 2013 : RIP Xbox --- August 12, 2013 : Resurrected
#38guedesbrawlPosted 9/10/2013 7:29:30 PM
pokemon is for the big guys. no kid likes to do all that math to get perfect pokemon and such.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#39Lefty128kPosted 9/11/2013 12:01:03 AM
sworder posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Well, here's my point.

It's not black and white as you make it out to be

Mario and Pokemon aren't just for adults, just like they aren't just for kids. They are for everyone

A scale isn't "black and white"...lol.

Mario and Pokemon are for kids. Adults can feel free to enjoy them, but they are made and designed to appeal to children.
#40CapwnDPosted 9/11/2013 12:09:45 AM(edited)
I don't avoid games because they are kiddy, I avoid games that I don't enjoy.

Unlike countless dickheads out there, I don't sit there and crap all over a game or it's fans just because I don't enjoy it. Anybody that does that is not a real gamer. And is probably compensating for lack of genitalia (having or experiencing)
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh