Why do people avoid games that they claim are "kiddy"?

#71Lefty128kPosted 9/11/2013 5:35:48 PM
regsantotomas posted...
The false premise I keep seeing repeated is that somehow these games must always be mutually exclusively targeted at only one segment or age group.

Is Wii Sports a game for kids then? It certainly used bright colors and simplistic controls. How about Space Invaders or Donkey Kong? Or Journey?

It seems to me that those that are always eager to pigeon-hole gamers for their entertainment choices are projecting their own insecurities.

You're intentionally cherry-picking examples that are mostly/completely void of elements that directly appeal to one or the other. You've chosen two from an age when a lack of computing power meant games had to be less complex. Might as well add Pong to that list.

Most kids games feature brightly colored characters, simple plots, and simple gameplay.

I would opine that someone making attacks on someone's sense of security is the truly insecure party. It's funny how you guys can't actually argue Mario on it's own merits. Still can't show how Mario is supposed to appeal to adults. So it's just resorting to paltry personal attacks.

sworder posted...
What are these adults sensibilities? Sex, gore, violence?

If it doesn't contain these, it's for kids then?

Those are mature subject matter, not adult sensibilities. And I'm not here to argue about whether or not children's entertainment should include or lack them.

My point is that Mario and friends are for kids, and no one has clearly demonstrated otherwise.

Avirosb posted...
Brightly colored...Cartoony...Simple plots...Simple gameplay. Uhuh.

So Conker's Bad Fur Day, Team Fortress 2 and Serious Sam are all basically kiddy games then?
I wouldn't call the gameplay in Mario simple, though, as it could be said about any game.
You drive, shoot, run, shoot, etc.

These are just more Cherry-picked examples in that they convey typically mature themes and cartoon-like art. Conker's is especially an exception in console gaming.

It is also the same mistake sworder made, mistaking mature themes for adult sensibilities.

Again, most kids games feature brightly colored characters, simple plots, and simple gameplay.
#72regsantotomasPosted 9/11/2013 5:56:21 PM
Lefty128k posted...

You're intentionally cherry-picking examples that are mostly/completely void of elements that directly appeal to one or the other. You've chosen two from an age when a lack of computing power meant games had to be less complex. Might as well add Pong to that list.

Most kids games feature brightly colored characters, simple plots, and simple gameplay.

OK, how about Rayman Legends. Just out last week. Is that for kids?

Bright colored characters? Check
Simple plot? Check
Simple game play? Check

At the end of the day, you are the one resorting patronizing others for their choices. I think that it's rather pathetic to cast such judgments.

*shrug*

I guess that I will go back to my (according to you) pre-pubescent targeted game: Disney Infinity.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#73FatSaladPosted 9/11/2013 6:02:44 PM
RawringAir posted...
I'm 21 and will be buying Pokemon X/Y when its released :)

---
Main: Superman, Subs: Black Adam, Grundy
"That's stupid, because too much of a good thing is a VERY good thing, not bad :)"-5 year old cousin
#74AvirosbPosted 9/12/2013 12:31:08 AM
Lefty128k posted...
I would opine that someone making attacks on someone's sense of security is the truly insecure party. It's funny how you guys can't actually argue Mario on it's own merits. Still can't show how Mario is supposed to appeal to adults. So it's just resorting to paltry personal attacks.
Personal attacks? Unless you have multiple personality disorder, I'd hardly consider "those that are always eager to pigeon-hole gamers for their entertainment choices are projecting their own insecurities" a personal attack.

My point is that Mario and friends are for kids, and no one has clearly demonstrated otherwise.
There are whole communities dedicated to 'speed-running'; obstacle-based platform games like the Mario franchise are popular games that really lets speed-runners build and keep a momentum.
Believe it or not, it is mainly the gameplay that appeals to most adults.

Again, most kids games feature brightly colored characters, simple plots, and simple gameplay.
Then you have the teens games, which feature testosterone-fueled rampage,
scantily clad females, guns, guts, swearing and explosions.

Then you have games for adults: Artsy games with lots of (heavy-handed) dialogue,
moral choices and looking at objects. And sometimes nudity, because hey, art.

Lastly, you have games for the elderly, which is bascially Wii Sports :)
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#75FoppePosted 9/12/2013 1:24:10 AM
I don't care if the game is "childish" or "mature", if it's colorful or brown, if it's lighthearted or grimdark, if it's a platformer or a FPS, if it's rated E or M, if it got a simply plot or a script bigger than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, if I play as a pink cloud sucking things or a veteran soldier with scars, if I'm helping people or killing people, if it's a open world or a corridor, etc...

...as long as I'm having fun playing the game.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#76GwizAlchPosted 9/12/2013 1:34:07 AM
Lefty128k posted...
sworder
What are these adults sensibilities? Sex, gore, violence?

If it doesn't contain these, it's for kids then?

Those are mature subject matter, not adult sensibilities. And I'm not here to argue about whether or not children's entertainment should include or lack them.

Clarification of the traits you are personally using to fully identify a game as Childish/Adult is required.
Otherwise the other posters should honestly just ignore you for the sake of you arguing just to argue.

A majority of your posts tend to promote baseless discussion
(And imply that things are a certain way because you say so and are commonly find refusing to elaborate on your faulty perspective), but I do feel I should commend you for avoiding questions and making yourself out to be the donkey that most people assumed you were.
---
Corrupting the human mind... one session at a time.
#77MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 9/12/2013 4:31:27 AM
ITT: A bunch of kiddies.
#78Lefty128kPosted 9/12/2013 5:28:53 AM
regsantotomas posted...
Lefty128k posted...

OK, how about Rayman Legends. Just out last week. Is that for kids?

Bright colored characters? Check
Simple plot? Check
Simple game play? Check

At the end of the day, you are the one resorting patronizing others for their choices. I think that it's rather pathetic to cast such judgments.

*shrug*

I guess that I will go back to my (according to you) pre-pubescent targeted game: Disney Infinity.

Rayman doesn't have simple controls, and takes a large amount of finesse to operate successfully.

Again, choosing exceptions (like the others) doesn't make you correct or clever.

I haven't acted in a condescending manner toward anyone. You're the ones resorting to insulting my age, maturity, sense of security, so on. It really is paltry double-standard you're operating with.

Off with you and your hypocrisy, then.

Avirosb posted...
Personal attacks? Unless you have multiple personality disorder, I'd hardly consider "those that are always eager to pigeon-hole gamers for their entertainment choices are projecting their own insecurities" a personal attack.

There are whole communities dedicated to 'speed-running'; obstacle-based platform games like the Mario franchise are popular games that really lets speed-runners build and keep a momentum.
Believe it or not, it is mainly the gameplay that appeals to most adults.

Then you have the teens games, which feature testosterone-fueled rampage,
scantily clad females, guns, guts, swearing and explosions.

Then you have games for adults: Artsy games with lots of (heavy-handed) dialogue,
moral choices and looking at objects. And sometimes nudity, because hey, art.

Lastly, you have games for the elderly, which is bascially Wii Sports :)

There's no reason to try and call someone insecure. That's simply childish and nothing but an attempt at provocation. And it wasn't the only dig at me so perhaps learn to read the whole topic.

Some adults who go all freak-o to get a low score time doesn't change the intent of the media. According to that logic, anything an adult can do faster is for adults.

Go ahead and speed run through these adult appealing games. (according to your criteria)

http://pbskids.org/games/shapes.html

GwizAlch posted...
Clarification of the traits you are personally using to fully identify a game as Childish/Adult is required.
Otherwise the other posters should honestly just ignore you for the sake of you arguing just to argue.

A majority of your posts tend to promote baseless discussion
(And imply that things are a certain way because you say so and are commonly find refusing to elaborate on your faulty perspective), but I do feel I should commend you for avoiding questions and making yourself out to be the donkey that most people assumed you were.

I already clarified them. Perhaps you should learn how to read the topic. You're the one whose arguing for the sake of arguing. And hurling implied insults about people being an ***.

How mature...lol.

I cited the basis for my claims.

The only people around here who are practicing avoidance are the so-called mature Nintendo fans who can't seem to quantify just exactly how Mario is for adults.
#79Joey-ZazaPosted 9/12/2013 6:21:35 AM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...
ITT: A bunch of kiddies.

You're a kiddy.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#80AvirosbPosted 9/12/2013 2:39:11 PM
Rayman doesn't have simple controls, and takes a large amount of finesse to operate successfully.

The same can be said about Super Luigi U. Or - if not - what exactly consitutes 'simple controls' in your opinion?

I haven't acted in a condescending manner toward anyone. You're the ones resorting to insulting my age, maturity, sense of security, so on. It really is paltry double-standard you're operating with.

There's no reason to try and call someone insecure.

Except if you weren't insecure it shouldn't really matter to you, and so by making a big deal of it you're only proving him right. So in a way, the only person insulting your "sense of security" here is yourself.

That's simply childish and nothing but an attempt at provocation. And it wasn't the only dig at me so perhaps learn to read the whole topic.

Now, now, there's no need to be condescending.

Some adults who go all freak-o to get a low score time doesn't change the intent of the media. According to that logic, anything an adult can do faster is for adults.
Go ahead and speed run through these adult appealing games. (according to your criteria)

http://pbskids.org/games/shapes.html

Let's not derail completely here.
I provided but one example as to why Mario games are popular among adults as well as kids,
I never said it was the one defining reason.

It also seems like you missed the parts where I wrote "obstacle-based platform games" and "mainly the gameplay" (Once again refering to Mario games).
Also, how is one supposed to speed-run games that never end?

Shigeru Miyamoto himself has said that his games are intended for all ages.
Now - if that isn't the "intent of the media" - I would like for you to clarify what that phrase really entails.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.