ESRAM is to blame for weak GPU

#11cedricthegreat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 7:55:12 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
They both had the same amount of ram. PS3 has a worse GPU and a hard to develop for cell. Even if you put the same exact cpu as 360 in PS3, 360 games still would have looked better due to better gpu.

And this is why multiplat on PS4 will be superior. Better gpu, same cpu, better ram and faster access to memory.

both has 512MB, yes, however PS3 actually had it split 256 CPU/256 GPU whereas 360 had 512 unified. Doing a straight port would mean the PS3 had less to work with than the 360 since the game would be looking for 375MB and find itself 119 short. That split was to be compensated with clever coding through the cell processor, however devs didn't have time for that.

yes PS3 did have a split of 256MB of DDR3 RAM for GPU and 256MB of XDR RAM for CPU. The GPU had acces to the XDR CPU RAM but the CPU couldn't touch the GPU RAM. The CELL CPU helped out the RSX(PS3 GPU) immensely by performing GPU tasks and still doing its CPU stuff. Sony 1st party devs called this "maikng the Cell sing". By using all the SPU's in the Cell we got games like Uncharted, KillZone, and the last of us. Third party devs did not use the SPU's and if they did they didn't use all 7. The CELL has one Core clocked at 3.2 gHz and 7 Spu's. The Xbox 360 had a 3 core cpu clocked at 3.2 Ghz gHz. The third party devs would use all the 3 core and only use PS3 1 core cpu without touching the SPU's.
---
everyone plays video games I want to make them
#12bob15xPosted 9/10/2013 8:14:06 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
bob15x posted...
Take a minute TC and look at the history of Ram in the consoles. Microsoft had a good setup for ram in the 360 and I believe the xbox.

Sony has had bottleneck issues with ram in the ps3, I know the ps2, and I think the ps1.

So, going by that, which company do you think may have set the ram up correctly.

....Why would we be going by that?

for the same reason people like you automatically think the xbox one will have overheating problems because the 360 did.

Or are you going to be a hypocrite again?
#13Ramsus082Posted 9/10/2013 8:21:51 PM
bob15x posted...

for the same reason people like you automatically think the xbox one will have overheating problems because the 360 did.

I'm still not following you, but I think this has less to do with me and more to do with you. You're not good with words, by your own admission. Anyway, I don't think the X1 will have overheating problems at all, and if I did it wouldn't be because of the RROD debacle. Are you talking about me referencing the inexplicable size of the XboxOne implying inferior engineering and the thermometer that throttles heat and gaming performance? If anything, the XboxOne will be running cool as a cucumber.

Huh? I have the feeling you just choose words and string them along in a sentence without really knowing how they work together. Usually you wait until you're falling behind in a debate before you pull out the ad hominim. I guess you're in a hurry or something?
#14sworderPosted 9/10/2013 8:31:02 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Usually you wait until you're falling behind in a debate before you pull out the ad hominim. I guess you're in a hurry or something?

I lol'd
#15jairusmonillasPosted 9/10/2013 8:39:37 PM
Actually blame Kinect 2.0

It made Xbox One price go up
---
All of you, want to be loved... needed by someone, so we look to others... By ourselves, we are lonely, so we try to draw together to live
- Elly [ Xenogears ]
#16bob15xPosted 9/10/2013 9:06:30 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
bob15x posted...

I'm still not following you, but I think this has less to do with me and more to do with you. You're not good with words, by your own admission. Anyway, I don't think the X1 will have overheating problems at all, and if I did it wouldn't be because of the RROD debacle. Are you talking about me referencing the inexplicable size of the XboxOne implying inferior engineering and the thermometer that throttles heat and gaming performance? If anything, the XboxOne will be running cool as a cucumber.

Huh? I have the feeling you just choose words and string them along in a sentence without really knowing how they work together. Usually you wait until you're falling behind in a debate before you pull out the ad hominim. I guess you're in a hurry or something?

falling behind? Yet it is you that is not arguing the points. Me thinks you just don't like to admit defeat.
#17James_4ortPosted 9/10/2013 10:34:56 PM
bob15x posted...
Ramsus082 posted...
bob15x posted...

falling behind? Yet it is you that is not arguing the points. Me thinks you just don't like to admit defeat.

ROFL
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#18Troll_DirectoryPosted 9/10/2013 11:14:29 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
bob15x posted...

I'm still not following you, but I think this has less to do with me and more to do with you. You're not good with words, by your own admission. Anyway, I don't think the X1 will have overheating problems at all, and if I did it wouldn't be because of the RROD debacle.

To be fair, Ramsus has said this:
Ramsus082 posted...
The overheating issue is a fear from the RROD era of gaming ...

Ramsus082 posted...
So I guess I can take some comfort that it's got a lot of ventilation. Enough for it not to overheat to the levels of it's predecessor? Probably. Enough to negate the healthy skepticism caused by it's predecessor? I'd be a bit worried about buying a launch X1 and it's longevity, yeah. I don't think it's an irrational worry either.

But, also tempered it with this:
Ramsus082 posted...
You're probably right, this worry of mine most likely will turn out to be overblown in comparison to the actual number of failed X1 consoles, which in all likelihood will be a fraction of the Xbox360's.

So, maybe a bit contradictory but not enough to go into the troll directory.
#19NeoMonkPosted 9/10/2013 11:15:59 PM
Faster Ram > Slower Ram

case closed.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#20FoppePosted 9/11/2013 2:09:02 AM
If the SoC size is the problem, why not make it bigger?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC