Do you think MS will try to ape Sony's terrible last-gen Hollywood games trend?

#1TheApd_ReturnsPosted 9/11/2013 3:42:45 PM
Do you think MS will try to ape Sony's terrible last-gen Hollywood games trend? - Results (62 votes)
Yes
53.23% (33 votes)
No
46.77% (29 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was at several points concerned for the state of the industry during the last gen. The first was the release of the Wii. This is the future? Waggling? Thankfully, not only did it die out fast, but Nintendo's best titles were traditionally controlled.

Then came the CoD/CoD clone phase, to rescue console sales from lack of good exclusives.

Then came the Sony offensive with Uncharted.

Just when PS3 seemed in the gutters, Sony's 1st/2nd Party studios flooded us with a bunch of setpiece "Hollywood" games. Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Resistance, Killzone

The sad part? The public bought it all up. It became clear that gaming was becoming all about a well-presented but technically shallow singleplayer games, with tacked on multiplayer. It's all good as long as it looks like a summer blockbuster, right? The Last of Us was the epitome of this. The plot and character development, on their own, would have made a B-grade fantasy novel; good for the videogame medium, but really nothing that hasn't been seen before. The art style was seamless. But what did you have, in terms of a videogame? QTEs. No challenging scenarios. A completely vapid stealth element. Sadly, multiplayer was the most engaging part of this game for the Counter-strike feel.

This is the trend I fear most: a bunch of linear AAA-presentation games with tacked on multiplayer. With Halo: Combat Evolved or Gears of War 2, there was some hope, but even MS turned towards the trend once they learned how well the BS offensive worked for Sony. Just look at Halo 4 or Ryse.

I'm sick of what Sony has done to gaming. And looking at their PS4 titles, it looks like they're dead set on continuing this strategy. Who else is worried that this gen will turn into a battle between a bunch of soulless, flashy exclusives, with the bulk of the hope laying on 3rd parties to deliver more cult classics like they did last gen?
---
XBL: MauryPov1ch ... BF3 (PC): Chollima ... Steam: callmaury
#2YumeOMiruPosted 9/11/2013 3:49:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3RyuuHou25Posted 9/11/2013 3:49:16 PM
"Gears of War 2, there was some hope,"

Lost all credibility there. That game is one of the epitomes of what you're whining about, and you're using it as an example of not being that??
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#4sworderPosted 9/11/2013 3:52:36 PM
worst topic of the month

congratulations
#5TheApd_Returns(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 3:56:47 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...

Lost all credibility there. That game is one of the epitomes of what you're whining about, and you're using it as an example of not being that??

On a gameplay level, it far outshines what you seen in Uncharted or TLoU. Care to argue that?
---
#6Reflex-ArcPosted 9/11/2013 3:57:10 PM
Probably, yes.

And that's fine by me, as long as they are quality.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#7TheApd_Returns(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 3:58:46 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
MORE QTES AND CUTSCENES PLEASE!

Thanks for your contribution
---
#8NatatteruPosted 9/11/2013 4:01:54 PM
lol at liking first party exclusives that aren't from Nintendo.
---
3DS: 3239-2567-4999 PSN: NatatBW XBL: Natatdood
Mains: P4A: Liz - BBCSX: Bang - AE: Cammy/Ibuki - 3s: Makoto - MBAACC: H-VSion/C-Ryougi - Dragon's Crown: Elf
#9MeaglesVPosted 9/11/2013 4:03:08 PM
God I hope not. You guys can love those cinematic movies all you want but I want superior GAMEPLAY.
#10RyuuHou25Posted 9/11/2013 4:03:46 PM
TheApd_Returns posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

On a gameplay level, it far outshines what you seen in Uncharted or TLoU. Care to argue that?

O.O You're....kidding, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6yLmJh9-rI

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYkj0glnqs (specifically around the 4:45 mark onward)

Yeah, I care to argue that. You're delusional if you think GoW 2 far outshines that.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A