How Microsoft and other companies can bridge the divide between digital/physical

#11X1-4Ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 6:30:35 PM
"But won't the disk stop playing the game if you can't sign into your account since the servers aren't working."

I'd put a lot more faith into being able to store simple account keys, as opposed to having to have entire stockpiles of game data stored on servers. Even if a company goes bust, the account keys are easily transferrable to the new holder. They're infinitesimal. Now compare that to having to have every single game on every single database- that's a mountainous task.

Plus, if the company goes bust, there's a good chance that hackers will just break the encryption. If the games no longer exist period, that's a might chance harder.
#12bob15xPosted 9/11/2013 6:44:02 PM
DetectiveDoom posted...
So a friend and I could go half and half on a digital title and and then I give him the disk so we both get a full game for 30$. Im sure M$ would have no problem with this.

it has nothing to do with MS, why would you even say that? The publishers would smack this down in second.
#13Lord_Ka1nPosted 9/11/2013 6:49:05 PM
no, leave them seperate. stop trying to force digital on everyone, this is why xbox almost flatlined at e3.

tons of people will always want physical, and it will always be around. they still make vynil records for crying out loud, and people buy them. why? because theyre superior. less convenient but superior. and there will always be those willing to give up a little convenience for more quality
#14X1-4Ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 6:54:12 PM
Let's step back from the "in ten years" thing at the moment, however.

I'd like to address directly a question given. That is- if your console goes bust, right now, how would this help?

I'd like to offer up the following scenario.

Johhny A has a system and has taken advantage of the Physical Disk Writer system. So he's had his system for a good two years or so and now has fifteen games, each game on a bluray (20GB), so all his data totals 300GB- about half his X1 hard drive space.

Johnny B has the same amount of games, but has not taken advantage of the system.

So a duck walks up to the lemonade stand where Johnny A and B both have their systems. It's a gorgeous sunny day and they're both not very smart, so they've got the systems sitting out on the grass playing the latest Metal Gear game. The duck wants grapes.

So the duck, tired of being ignored, throws both systems into the giant vat of lemonade the boys were selling from.

Now both boys have no more X1 system.

But Johhny A has all his game disks. So he goes down to GameStop and gets another system and is immediately playing all his favorite games.

Johhny B goes and gets his system back, too. But he doesn't have his disks. So he fires up his Comcast Internet service and starts downloading. But at the 16 megabit per second download rate, half an hour later he's still waiting for even one of his full retail games to finish.

Oops! Johhny B had been chatting and has just hit his monthly data cap!

Sorry, Johhny B, I guess Solid Snake won't be sneaking around your house tonight.
#15joebiscrumlPosted 9/12/2013 2:12:43 AM
X1-4Ever posted...
Let's step back from the "in ten years" thing at the moment, however.

I'd like to address directly a question given. That is- if your console goes bust, right now, how would this help?

I'd like to offer up the following scenario.

Johhny A has a system and has taken advantage of the Physical Disk Writer system. So he's had his system for a good two years or so and now has fifteen games, each game on a bluray (20GB), so all his data totals 300GB- about half his X1 hard drive space.

Johnny B has the same amount of games, but has not taken advantage of the system.

So a duck walks up to the lemonade stand where Johnny A and B both have their systems. It's a gorgeous sunny day and they're both not very smart, so they've got the systems sitting out on the grass playing the latest Metal Gear game. The duck wants grapes.

So the duck, tired of being ignored, throws both systems into the giant vat of lemonade the boys were selling from.

Now both boys have no more X1 system.

But Johhny A has all his game disks. So he goes down to GameStop and gets another system and is immediately playing all his favorite games.

Johhny B goes and gets his system back, too. But he doesn't have his disks. So he fires up his Comcast Internet service and starts downloading. But at the 16 megabit per second download rate, half an hour later he's still waiting for even one of his full retail games to finish.

Oops! Johhny B had been chatting and has just hit his monthly data cap!

Sorry, Johhny B, I guess Solid Snake won't be sneaking around your house tonight.

Sounds to me like you really want a physical copy of the games so why not just buy them and not have to worry about servers or losing time to download anything.
#16NeoMonkPosted 9/12/2013 2:19:44 AM
Do more of what Nintendo is doing...

Yes to all of you Nintendo haters these might be breaking news...
But they're actually offering Wind Waker HD 2 weeks earlier if you download it digitally.

It's a start for "DIGITAL ONLY" games and Gamers to take advantage of since cutting prices is just not in the cards they're willing to deal...
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#17Mr_arizonaPosted 9/12/2013 2:20:43 AM
Microsoft, Sony, and whoever really want to move to a pure digital format? Mark the digital version down to $50.
Take out the cost of the packaging, shipping, and retailer cut and I'm sure it makes up that $10 difference. People would buy the digital version and by next gen it will be standardized.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9286/tennisskirtblow.gif
#18GamerguymassPosted 9/12/2013 2:45:04 AM
Its funny how everyone that keeps going on and on about how everything is going to be digital only within a few years know absolutely nothing about America's infrastructure when it comes to both electricity and the internet. For those of you not 'in the know' I'll explain:

It sucks.

In America "illegal monopolies" are in fact, not illegal. What this means is we have really crappy internet service. A "good" deal in America is would be considered a horrible speed, and vastly overpriced, in most other industrialized nations. Now what this means is, its just not really possible for things to go digital only as most people don't have fast enough internet to download the games NOW. Now imagine everyone doing that at the same time? I'm pretty sure no one is going to be ok with spending 12+ hours to download a game each time they want to play one.

Then there is the fact that terrible and overpriced as the internet is for many people, its even worse for people who live in rural America. Screw them you say? Well you just told about 150 million people to go screw themselves and that they aren't allowed to play video games anymore. In rural America dial up is all they have because no company wants to spend the money to put in the wiring for high speed internet. This means 10s of millions of people literally can't download games at all.

Another reason, and possibly bigger one however is our electrical grid. It is literally decades outdated. You know how you drive around, more so in the summer, and you see sagging power lines? Thats not a good thing. They are sagging because they are overtaxed. We don't have enough capacity for the amount of electricity we use. It would cost roughly two TRILLION dollars to update it. No one has the money for this so it obviously won't be happening. That doesn't change the fact that eventually the thing will collapse at some point, along with most of our bridges for that matter. So at some point within the next few decades we will go back to living in the Dark Ages.

Now for those of you not from America saying "who cares?" well you should. America is 50% of the video game market by itself. The market revolves around the American consumer, good or bad. Which means games will never go digital only until the vast majority of American consumers can download them fast enough and easy enough to make it worth their while. It also means that when our electrical grid eventually implodes the video game industry as a whole will cease to exist. The few Japanese companies that survive will more then likely just stay in Japan, it would be a long while before they would consider branching out to Europe. They wouldn't think it worth the cost with the cash cow of America no longer able to buy their games.

TLDR: L2R you troglodyte.
---
Now Playing: "The Hunt for the Two Missing Nintendo 64 Games"
An expansion came out, but I'm still a third of the way through!
#19mrshowtime333Posted 9/12/2013 5:51:11 AM
Disc Burning? Is this 2003?
#20DionysusPosted 9/12/2013 6:53:49 AM
There's no reason for this. If the publishers want to go without disks, they need to make digital distribution more compelling than the traditional model. MS's mistake was that they tried to force something without giving the consumers a choice. As a result, it looked like a cash grab.