You should care about the Impulse Triggers

#1MrImpatient35Posted 9/13/2013 2:25:20 PM
http://www.gamesradar.com/whats-next-why-you-should-give-damn-about-xbox-ones-impulse-triggers/

"The addition of the Impulse Triggers give gamers the unique opportunity to experience precise feedback at the most sensitive part of the human hand—making gamers more connected to their gameplay," says David Dennis, Xbox group PR manager. "Traditional rumble motors alone don't provide as rich of an experience. Just like the upgrade from analog to digital TV is so much better and more lifelike, Impulse Triggers provide a similar level of upgrade for next-generation haptic feedback."

Holy marketing speak, Batman. Still, Dennis raises some good points. While the inclusion of some extra vibrating motors in the Xbox One's controller certainly won't revolutionize gaming the way the transition to digital revolutionized television, it's bound to have a positive effect on the overall experience. Think about it: In most games that utilize rumble motors, every action yields the same amount of feedback regardless of how much force its real-life equivalent might produce. At best, some games make the gamepad to shake with varying degrees of intensity depending on the context. But when controller vibrations tell us that shooting a BB gun feels just like shooting a rocket launcher, that vibration becomes less and less meaningful over time.

Basically, the triggers will help with game immersion.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#2zerooo0Posted 9/13/2013 2:27:07 PM
I just want to see these things in action. Hopefully Halo 5 or Quantum Break uses it.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#3MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:38:44 PM
When I first heard about them months ago, I automatically thought that they'd be used in shooters mainly, but the first game to talk about it has been Forza 5. I'm curious to see how that works.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#4TMOGPosted 9/13/2013 6:41:59 PM
Am I the only one whose immersion is actually broken when the controller in my hands starts shaking around?
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#5XBOXvsPCPosted 9/13/2013 6:44:25 PM
TMOG posted...
Am I the only one whose immersion is actually broken when the controller in my hands starts shaking around?

haha that was funny
#6ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/13/2013 7:30:22 PM
I cannot understand why impulse triggers are a big deal for Forza. It's not like you feel specific vibrations through only your foot pedals when driving- no, you sense movements from the whole car. The whole controller should react as such. I don't understand its relevance for racing games at all.
#7Reflex-ArcPosted 9/13/2013 7:47:50 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
I cannot understand why impulse triggers are a big deal for Forza. It's not like you feel specific vibrations through only your foot pedals when driving- no, you sense movements from the whole car. The whole controller should react as such. I don't understand its relevance for racing games at all.

Really?! There are specific things you feel through the pedals whenever you drive aggressively. Brake fade, ABS judder, road vibration...

I'm excited for the impulse triggers specifically for the fact that there has always been a sense of immersion that sim racers have never been able to convey, and that's the connection with the vehicle. I'm hoping this new rumble fills that void.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#8ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/13/2013 8:00:40 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...

Really?! There are specific things you feel through the pedals whenever you drive aggressively. Brake fade, ABS judder, road vibration...

I'm excited for the impulse triggers specifically for the fact that there has always been a sense of immersion that sim racers have never been able to convey, and that's the connection with the vehicle. I'm hoping this new rumble fills that void.

You feel all those things more so through your seat and steering wheel than you do with your pedals.
#9Reflex-ArcPosted 9/13/2013 8:12:48 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...

You feel all those things more so through your seat and steering wheel than you do with your pedals.

We apparently have very different experiences in driving.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#10ACx7Posted 9/13/2013 8:39:32 PM
I usually play with vibration off. But I still plan on trying out the triggers when I first get my system. It's a pretty neat feature.